Things to do in Des Moines for one night?

cyismydog

Apr 13, 2006
Some friends of mine are road tripping from Butler to Cali, leaving on Saturday. They're going to be in Des Moines at 6 PM, and are looking for something fun to do that night (museums, landmarks, etc). They're not 21, so keep that in mind as well. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Rickybaby

Apr 15, 2006
Sat is May the 5th - known as Cinco de Mayo - Valley Junction in WDM is usually hopping !

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
I always recommend checking out the seedesmoines.com for ideas. Here is what is on the calender for Saturday:

Calendar - Greater Des Moines Convention and Visitors Bureau

A few standout IMO.

Cinco De Mayo street party in the East Village. This might work out well since you mentioned they might want to see the sites. This would put them within walking distance of the Iowa State Capitol Building & grounds.

I-Cubs are in town. 7:05 1st pitch.

Also, even non-artsy fartsy types tend to like the Sculpture Park, so that is worth a look.

For all the above, I'd recommend parking somewhere downtown and getting B*Cycle bikes to get around (assuming you have decent weather). Des Moines B-cycle | Des Moines Bike-Sharing Program | B-Cycle | bcycle.com You could take the trail past Principal Park and around Gray's Lake and back. Note: I think it is something like $5 per bike for 24-hr access (ignore the membership plans on the website).

Here's a decent map that shows some of the bike trail options around downtown but is also helpful in general for downtown sites. Downtown Des Moines

Also (even though it seems to be in never ending construction mode), worth heading down to the Des Moines River and checking out the riverwalk.

Tons of great places to eat downtown, I'm sure people would have recommendations if you need them.

Last edited:
Reactions: cyismydog

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
They are in luck, if they are able to be in DSM by 6 they'll be able to make it to KC by 9 at the latest.

BringBackJohnny

Feb 11, 2009
Ames
Try to take in a show at Wooley (sp) or the Muse (sp) after the I-Cubs most the shows are pretty legit and you don't have to be 21 to get in. Grab some Jeathro's for dinner and then Drake dinner for breakfast on your way out.

or

go to the zoo haha

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
^you'll have to check their websites to see if the shows are all ages or not. House of Bricks also offers all ages shows at times. It's the "Mews"...BTW, as in Vaudville Mews. I know the show at People's is 21+ that night.

I think you were joking, but zoo closes at 5:00 pm on Saturdays FWIW.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Some friends of mine are road tripping from Butler to Cali, leaving on Saturday. They're going to be in Des Moines at 6 PM, and are looking for something fun to do that night (museums, landmarks, etc). They're not 21, so keep that in mind as well. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

The House of Bricks is usually pretty cool for those who like music and can have fun without alcohol.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

Prairie Meadows should be fun on the weekend of the Kentucky Derby, especially with a bunch of Iowans as owners of a competitive horse.