This team is a bunch of Fred Hoibergs

HuddleUp

Jan 9, 2009
Kansas City
No showboats. No whiners. Not too high or too low. Composed. Confident. Clutch. Winners. They are Fred. We need to fill every seat for the Baylor game. Win that, and we are guaranteed the three seed.

kas4cy

Sep 11, 2011
Iowa City, IA
That's a really good way to describe this team. Players tend to emulate their coach, and their coach is one great man.

...I have a man-crush, so sue me.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Pretty true, except RW is almost the exact opposite of Fred at the line. ;)

H

Hugs4ISU

Pretty true, except RW is almost the exact opposite of Fred at the line. ;)

True, but I do think he tries his best. I know people like to ridicule TV announcers, but in a recent game one of them made a good point. His hands are so big, for him shooting free-throws with a basketball is like a more-ordinary guy (like me, 5'10") trying to shoot free-throws with tennis balls, into a basket equivalently small.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
You know what's really funny? The amount of vocality earlier in the year about how ISU didn't show enough emotion, how Hoiberg didn't get "mad" enough, how CPR needed to come in and fire up the team, etc.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with emotion, because it works for the football team. But the thing you have to keep in mind about emotion is if you don't keep it in check, which the football team sometimes doesn't, you lose discipline and it can hurt you.

Tredici

Mar 2, 2011
West Des Moines
I wouldn't say this about the start of the season. Took them a while to learn to play as a team, because our losses to UNI & Drake came from selfishness.

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO
The improved play of Chris Allen since the second KU game has been amazing, and we haven't heard a peep out of Booker since his minutes have been down lately.

The coachability of this team is awesome. Every single guy that gets minutes for us right now is helping the team win, and we couldn't say that in previous seasons.

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
TEAM. They are the definition of it. Players emulate Fred. On the court they feed off the 5-star RW's unselfishness. Any given player can have a huge game any given day or night. Doesn't matter to them. Depending on how lucky of a seed we get I really think we could make Sweet 16 or an even deeper run. Just hopefully we can stay out of that dreaded 8/9 game

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
Quiet confidence is what I see. It all flows down from the coach.

A simply amazing year for ISU basketball. Only year 2 of the Hoiberg era.

It reminds me a bit of the Tim Floyd years as we've got a lot of transfers. The whole story line about a bunch of rag tag misfits geling into a "team" sure could apply.

You could make a movie about this stuff.....

Help Support Us

Become a patron