This team, this season, next season

oldwiseman

Oct 10, 2009
So, let's put the CPR conversation on the back burner for a moment because I think the opinion on that has been made clear and look at this team. I think they have the ability to win. Our run defense is drastically improved, we saw a glimpse of a running game last night, our WR's should be more than capable but haven't shown up fully as of yet. We need to find a QB that can feel the game. I don't think SR is that guy but not sure if we have better, maybe we'll see, maybe not.

Our Juco's are really just babies with regards to their game experience and probably won't reach full potential until next year but we'll see improvement still this year. I watched J. Thomas look like he was playing 3/4 speed last night. He's not ready but is in the game because of natural talent and when he is ready, look out.

We are better pretty much across the board than we were last year and we really don't lose any key players next year. I can't think of a place we are weaker. Toledo game was a typical ISU nut kick game that we should have won. Hell, we probably should have beaten Iowa too but folded in the 2nd half. I still think we'll see something from these kids this year.

Gotta stop making stupid penalties and beating ourselves but until we see otherwise, I think that was an atypical game in that regard. There are winnable games left on the schedule. Big XII sure doesn't seem to be near as strong this year.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
This is why Rhoads must go though IMO. We are a better football team than last year, I agree with that. The only thing holding us back right now is horrible coaching and player development.

Sam Richardson is no better than he was 4 years ago, in fact I think he's gotten worse under this coaching staff. That is unacceptable. If you don't know after 4 years at ISU that on the last play of the game you can't take a sack, some of that has to fall on the coaches. It's like it's been ingrained in Sam's head after all these years that making a mistake is the absolute worst thing you can do..... even more important than losing.

Like someone else said, he plays like not making a mistake is way more important than winning. The will to win has been taken out of him. He'd rather complete a 5 yd pass on 3rd and 10 instead of throwing an INT 40 yds downfield, which in the end is just like a punt anyway and doesn't hurt us. It's like the stat sheet is more important than the win.

I think a halfway decent coaching staff would have this team at 3-0 right now. For instance, does anyone feel like we pulled out all the stops in trying to win the Iowa game? We never saw any of the Lanning plays that we ran last night against Iowa for instance. Why not? We still won't throw deep to our 6'5" and 6'4" WR's and let them make an athletic play on the ball. Why not?

You claim that this team is getting better, and I agree, but it's not leading to anymore wins because of this coaching staff. Nothing is more important than wins. There are no moral victories. I'm sick of hearing Rhoads talk about all the positives to take out of these losses. A loss is a loss. There are no moral victories Paul. You get paid to win, period. I'd rather have an ugly win than a good looking loss anyday.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
They are consistently better than they were a year ago. With starting 1-2 though, I doubt they are good enough to get more than a couple more wins.

Also, Sam is much better than he was as a freshman. If you can't see that then you really shouldn't be trying to discuss football.

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
They are consistently better than they were a year ago. With starting 1-2 though, I doubt they are good enough to get more than a couple more wins.
Also, Sam is much better than he was as a freshman. If you can't see that then you really shouldn't be trying to discuss football.

Possibly, although only marginally improved. Watching last night's ending, I knew Sam would be sacked without getting it off, again, on a game ending play. How many times has that happened in his career? 5? Maybe more? It sure seems like I remember quite a few of them. How does an experienced QB let that happen? Repeatedly?

Winners never do that. Ever. No matter what, you give your team a chance by making sure you don't go down with the ball.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
Possibly, although only marginally improved. Watching last night's ending, I knew Sam would be sacked without getting it off, again, on a game ending play. How many times has that happened in his career? 5? Maybe more? It sure seems like I remember quite a few of them. How does an experienced QB let that happen? Repeatedly?

Winners never do that. Ever. No matter what, you give your team a chance by making sure you don't go down with the ball.

If it wasn't for Sam scrambling making plays when the pocket collapsed throughout the game we might have lost by multiple scores. His freshman year I certainly don't remember him making some of those throws. His two-minute drill isn't great, but I also don't remember very many Iowa State QBs who would have been all that successful when they are consistently flushed out of the pocket and receivers struggle to get open.

oldwiseman

Oct 10, 2009
Like I said, take CPR out of this discussion. Just talking about the team. Talent wise, we are an improved team and that is at least encouraging. I will continue to watch and support these players and hope we are seeing the beginning of what works at ISU with regards to recruiting.

Seneca Wallace, JUCO. Should have learned from that.

oldwiseman

Oct 10, 2009
If it wasn't for Sam scrambling making plays when the pocket collapsed throughout the game we might have lost by multiple scores. His freshman year I certainly don't remember him making some of those throws. His two-minute drill isn't great, but I also don't remember very many Iowa State QBs who would have been all that successful when they are consistently flushed out of the pocket and receivers struggle to get open.

Part of the issue is that he is too slow to make decisions. I just can't believe that our "all star" receiving corps can't get open against MAC d-backs. This seems to be Sam's flaw. He certainly had time on some throws.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
Part of the issue is that he is too slow to make decisions. I just can't believe that our "all star" receiving corps can't get open against MAC d-backs. This seems to be Sam's flaw. He certainly had time on some throws.

He had time on some throws but not all the time. He's not the best QB ever by any means, but he's certainly a capable Big 12 QB and frankly good enough to get us wins.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Time on some throws? Lol.

If you remove the fallacies of your thinking, it is quite easy to believe. First, they are not "all stars" and are very average overall, including getting separation. Second, even legitimate all-stars would be marginalized in this scheme. You add in a pretty poor Oline, and Sam is not even close to being "the" issue. He misses some, like all QBs do, and he could play better at times, but he is not the issue.

It would take All-American level performance from the QB spot to overcome the **** around that position. That is not Sam.

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
I think on paper this years team is on par with 2011/2012 in terms of talent, but barring a miracle, they aint going 6-6. Its a shame to see a team that's capable like this squandering the opportunity to get back to a bowl game.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron