Thoughts on Prohm/Morris re: half court offense?

Clones8686

Jan 19, 2015
I saw Michael Admire tweeted this a couple hours ago and I swear, I'm not trying to be a negative nancy, but it seems a little concerning that Prohm speaks so forcefully about how he wants to run the offense vs. Monte's thoughts about it... especially Monte praising what Jim Calhoun told him, when it obviously doesn't mesh with what Prohm is teaching.

Thoughts?

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Move the ball, move the ball, move the ball and we score. Dribble and stand we don't score.

When this team moves the ball it is as good as it get in college basketball. When it stays in one or two players hands it is about as bad as it gets. Its almost like they don't want to pass the ball to the guy that is having an off night. In that process the hot hand doesn't get the ball either. With the way Matt has been playing there is no reason he shouldn't be putting up 10 3s a game.

CycloneBBFan

Dec 21, 2015
When this team moves the ball it is as good as it get in college basketball. When it stays in one or two players hands it is about as bad as it gets. Its almost like they don't want to pass the ball to the guy that is having an off night. In that process the hot hand doesn't get the ball either. With the way Matt has been playing there is no reason he shouldn't be putting up 10 3s a game.

Seems like every game we have one or two 5 to 7-minute no-ball movement segments where the opposite team catches up or goes ahead.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
It's hard to say when you can't hear the whole conversation or the specific questions. When Calhoun called our game, his commentary about Monte throughout the game was that he (Monte) should be who he is (a fantastic game managing point guard). I also don't believe that Prohm wants them to slow down and play a half court game, as he has said over and over that they need to get out and run.

spitfyr36

Dec 19, 2011
Prohm has said many times he wants to play in transition. You gotta think Monte (and the rest of the team) is a little frustrated the way the season is going, but I wouldn't read too much into it.

I'd agree with what Monte said, that it's more about execution than anything else

• Agree
Reactions: Cycsk

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
I know this has been brought up ad nauseam, but losing the facilitator of the entire offense was a blow they are still trying to recover from. It's on MM's shoulders to run the offense now, and many of the others simply don't know what to do. CSP indicated that they were going to work on half court offense for an hour at each practice - we'll see the results tomorrow.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
www.oldschoolradical.com
I saw the DMR piece on the same thing, and it sounds more like they're on the same page. I get the feeling that a reporter asked Monte if they were just going to try to be more of a half court team, and that's where the response came from.

Coach Prohm is obviously seeing what we all see, which is not quite enough patience on the offensive end (when they are in half court offense).

Aug 26, 2014
Move the ball, move the ball, move the ball and we score. Dribble and stand we don't score.
I'm sure they all watch film. If I were in charge of editing film, I would put together 10 offensive possessions. 5 where we moved the ball and got a great shot, and 5 where we were playing hero ball and it turned out poorly and ask the team if they see the difference. I'm sure the coaches are doing things like that, but somehow this team still plays too much one on one.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Does anybody know what the initial question was? Cuz why does Monte respond, "he's our coach and we have to do what he tells us to do." Like others, don't want to read anything into something that's not there. On sports last night, I couldn't hear it either.

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
i wish coaching were as simple as showing the team what they did wrong, and then telling them to do it differently. its just that easy right?

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
If the DMR article you're noting makes it sound like they are on same page, then why is Admire tweeting the "differing attitude" angle? That's the last thing we need. Sportscasters getting into message board type chatter now? Lol Although the Hines tweeted video (& Haaland discussion/comments) of the one WV possession last night was kinda indicative of one of those 'what was that for offense?' moments that fans have during the games.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
It's hard to say when you can't hear the whole conversation or the specific questions. When Calhoun called our game, his commentary about Monte throughout the game was that he (Monte) should be who he is (a fantastic game managing point guard). I also don't believe that Prohm wants them to slow down and play a half court game, as he has said over and over that they need to get out and run.
He says it but when we watch the games I don't know how many times he has them slow it down and we get stagnant. He says the right things but doesn't execute it. That is what irritates me the most. He knows what the problems are but doesn't make the changes.

• Agree
Reactions: socalcy and 67CY

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
www.oldschoolradical.com
If the DMR article you're noting makes it sound like they are on same page, then why is Admire tweeting the "differing attitude" angle? That's the last thing we need. Sportscasters getting into message board type chatter now? Lol Although the Hines tweeted video (& Haaland discussion/comments) of the one WV possession last night was kinda indicative of one of those 'what was that for offense?' moments that fans have during the games.

Cause he's a Hawk fan with nothing better to do during basketball season? Stirring up something to talk about?

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
At some point, the team should realize they aren't a good half court team. We consistently shoot in the low 40s% game in and game out. Our strength is transition and passing the ball.

My thoughts are why are they going through this 2/3's of the way into the season?

With 5 seniors starting....

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
At some point, the team should realize they aren't a good half court team. We consistently shoot in the low 40s% game in and game out. Our strength is transition and passing the ball.

With 5 seniors starting....
They aren't a good half court offense when they stand around and don't move the ball like Prohm says. We've seen this offense do well when they move the ball, penetrate and kick out. The question is why is Prohm drawing the line in the sand now? Why not after first 10 games of seeing the same thing over and over again.