Throwback Thread: COACHING SEARCH: Wednesday, Nov. 25 evening update

BMWallace

SuperFanatic
Sep 11, 2011
Chicago, IL
My money is the Niumatalolo is going to take the Hawaii job. He is both a Hawaii alumni and native. While it may be a lateral move, it wouldnt surprise me at all.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Except Frost has only been the OC since Kelly left. He was given the playbook, not build it on his own.

Gotta learn from somewhere, and I'd say that Kelly was a pretty good example to work under. I'm also willing to bet Frost has probably made some tweaks to that playbook from time to time.

BBHMagic

Oct 15, 2009
I agree. Of the candidates we've heard he would be my top guy. Leipold #2. Followed by Campbell and Navy's coach.

We shouldn't be looking at anyone who has never been a head coach.

I find it funny how everybody lists all the candidates names but when it comes to Navy's coach, everyone says "Navy's coach." Hell I just did it.

He if gets the job....boy....we thought we had problems spelling Rhoads correctly......

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
For the 3rd time. I'm not comparing us to Notre Dame. We are Cincinnati in this scenario.

I'm only off base if you don't understand what I said.

And Cincinnati hired a coach that showed he could get (or keep) a FBS program moving in the right direction. I think it's prudent ISU do the same

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
For the 3rd time. I'm not comparing us to Notre Dame. We are Cincinnati in this scenario.

So we have a couple good seasons, lose some bowl games, and he leaves?

Well, honestly, that's a good start if we can follow it up with something bigger and better.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois

Fine, you still don't understand that Kelly had 3 years of success before going to Cincinnati. Let Leipold have some success at Buffalo first before letting him make that big jump.

Klubber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Aurora, IL
I highly doubt he would leave Navy, he has turned down better jobs in the past to stay. He does fit JP's religious requirement. I kid you not but he claims God tells him when to take timeouts and called certain plays, he said it in an interview.

Seriously, is the god-squad a large part of the equation with Pollard and coaching candidates? If so, that's moronic. I'm not excited about anyone on that list except for Tony Alford. People who think we can win in the Big XII running the triple option are insane. 90% of Texas high schools run the spread. None of those kids will want to play in an old school option attack. If we're going to hire a service academy guy let's go after Calhoun from Air Force. Why wouldn't we consider Scott Frost or Monken from S Miss. Both of them are better candidates than that Navy guy...

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
That narrative that coach Ken would run the EXACT same option offense at ISU is just foolish. The system he runs at Navy is run for very specific reasons. Any of these "option" guys would no doubt run a option type hybrid at ISU. A smart guy and winner, like CKN, is not going to just blow up the offense and start from scratch. He'd slowly and effectively install the option principles.

KN would not change his offense at ISU like Johnson didn't change it at Georgia Tech.

Hiring him would be a bleeping disaster.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
We are Cincy, not Notre Dame. You realize that correct? So we would essentially be hiring the guy a couple years earlier than Cincy did.

Is it a risk? Sure, but not one person on that list is a sure thing. If I'm taking the risk, I'm taking it on the guy who has run a program and won while doing it.

Would we be the laughingstock if we made this hire? Well, we've won 8 games in 3 years. Our program is one of the worst in CFB history. We already are a laughingstock. If Pollard and Leath feel this guy is the best guy, let the outsiders laugh.....because they already are!

I think a lot of you guys underestimate what a really good football coach can do. I can promise you that there are HS, D3, D2, and JUCO head coaches out there that are better head coaches than some of the guys coaching P5 football. They've just had different paths in their life/coaching profession.

You may not wake up tomorrow, might as well take undue risk tonight right?

Yes, but you are not basing your opinion of Kelly on what he was after 1 year at CMU. To think the slower climb didn't help him end up succeeding is idiotic.

I don't give a **** about what non-cyclone fans think about the hire. My objection is how poor your argument is. To be boggled about the concern is just plain stupid.

This type of candidate has a huge amount of risk, one that JP likely is not adept in handling.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
So we have a couple good seasons, lose some bowl games, and he leaves?

Well, honestly, that's a good start if we can follow it up with something bigger and better.

Correction, Kelly was +.500 in bowl games there. Well, his teams were. He didn't actually coach the "last" one due to moving to ND. It's weird, he coached two bowl games for two teams one year and then didn't coach one the last year. Either way, the idea remains: either it's good head for the program, or it's Chizik 2.0

AdamJGray

Administrator
Mar 9, 2011
And Cincinnati hired a coach that showed he could get (or keep) a FBS program moving in the right direction. I think it's prudent ISU do the same

I too would like to see more out of Leipold at Buffalo, but if JP and Leath think he's the real deal, we might have to grab him earlier than we'd like.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Please can we pass on Leipold? He doesn't have enough expience in D1 football and could very well be a bust in a few years.

All of them could very well be a bust. The biggest argument against Rhoads I've heard on here is that he doesn't know how to win games. Leipold knows how to win games more than anyone else in college football.

AdamJGray

Administrator
Mar 9, 2011
I'm just repeating yours.

Its abundantly obvious you guys have been told there's a strong probability he's the guy and you need to sell us on this pull-out-the-rug cheapskate joke of a hire.

I don't envy your task.

Huh?

I've been told nothing. I have no more inside information than you do. I can promise you that.

I've said for the last year that if CPR was fired I don't care if we got D1, FCS, D2, or D3.....I want a HC that has been a proven winner over a sustained period of time. This guy fits that. He's my #2 option from CW's list.

AdamJGray

Administrator
Mar 9, 2011
Fine, you still don't understand that Kelly had 3 years of success before going to Cincinnati. Let Leipold have some success at Buffalo first before letting him make that big jump.

Yes I do understand that as I've typed it out 3 times now. I've stated "we'd have to hire him a couple years earlier than we'd like."

UNIGuy4Cy

Nov 11, 2009
They would have fun selling Leipold to the fan base, I sure wouldn't envy the athletic department.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
I too would like to see more out of Leipold at Buffalo, but if JP and Leath think he's the real deal, we might have to grab him earlier than we'd like.
I agree. Get him before his name gets hot, which I'm convinced will happen after another two years at Buffalo.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

Ehh....more than likely we'll be looking for a new coach in 2-5 years anyway. Either the new guy sucks and we fire him or he's good and he leaves. Leipold will be around then too.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron