Ticketmaster business model

cyups2323

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Man they have quite the racket going on. Genius business model. I bought 2 session 1 tickets in omaha for 250 each. Paid 107 total in service fees. Just posted them to sell and gonna pay 90 in service fees. Getting a ridiculous amount on both ends.

• Wow
Reactions: tzjung and CyCoug

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
To say its ripe for disruption is the understatement of the century. I don't understand how no one has come in and done same for $5 per ticket.

eBay makes a ton taking 10% of sales, and I bet the avg sale price is like $50.

Why hasn't an eBay or Amazon gone and done same with tickets? They certainly have the capital to do it.

Reactions: CyCoug

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
To say its ripe for disruption is the understatement of the century. I don't understand how no one has come in and done same for $5 per ticket.

eBay makes a ton taking 10% of sales, and I bet the avg sale price is like $50.

Why hasn't an eBay or Amazon gone and done same with tickets? They certainly have the capital to do it.

We've bought tickets to a handful of concerts for this summer and I always have the same reaction. "Hey cool, I found two tickets for $60 each, let's do it!"-- go to check out and it's somehow $375.

Reactions: Jer and ianjbark3r

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
They are the reason why I fully support adding a regulation to the ticket market forcing them to post and itemize all applicable fees upfront, prior to any sale confirmation page. You should be able to look at available seats and the fees to buy them at first glance.

This **** is just absurd.

CyCoug

Sep 19, 2021
They are the reason why I fully support adding a regulation to the ticket market forcing them to post and itemize all applicable fees upfront, prior to any sale confirmation page. You should be able to look at available seats and the fees to buy them at first glance.

This **** is just absurd.
Hidden fees are out of control everywhere, but especially with tickets.

I think Joe Biden has called for a law on this across industries in the last two state of the unions.

Making businesses show transparent pricing should be a win for free market purists, because markets work most efficiently when all parties have complete information. But I suspect this too is a partisan thing.

Reactions: StClone

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Yet, there we all go buying and selling on sites controlled by the TM/SH cartel.

I highly recommend buying and selling on sites like CF or ISU Ticket Trader. It takes a little more effort to sell on other team's sites, but it actually can be interesting as you get to know their fans. And someone who is a fan of another team comes to really appreciate you for selling under the TM/SH "market" price. Lots of wins.

• Winner
Reactions: 1100011CS

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Lak.gif

It's frustrating as hell, but the Ticketmaster model has been a hemorrhoid on the ******* of the live event industry forever. Pearl Jam took them to court 30 years ago and didn't get anywhere.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Yeah, the fees must get tacked on at StubHub too. Was greeted with an additional $111 per ticket fee when I locked in $312 all session passes Saturday

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
Fees are stupid on those sites but you can go into the settings and make it so that the fees are included on the prices you see.

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
From what I understand, Ticketmaster (and other sites) business models basically act as cover for the events/artists themselves. The management companies running the tours and such are usually the ones that get a healthy portion of the money gained from “hidden fees”.

So if you’d like someone to be upset at, I’d probably start pointing my finger at the NCAA first.

• Agree
Reactions: Lineup

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
As someone that buys tickets to a lot of concerts, I can say for it is an absolute racket.
Wait till you discover “platinum” tickets.

Reactions: Jer

farm85

Mar 23, 2016
Flekkefjord, Norway
I picked up a couple of tickets to the ISU WBB championship game in KC at the T-Mobile box office. The printed price on the tickets was $20 & I was charged $71....:rolleyes:

cydsho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Omaha, NE
I was just looking at Vivid Seats for tix and the service charge was 1/3 of the ticket cost......in this case it was $200 per ticket. That seems wrong.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I picked up a couple of tickets to the ISU WBB championship game in KC at the T-Mobile box office. The printed price on the tickets was $20 & I was charged $71....:oops:
axs ticket prices seemed better than ticketmaster when I went to KC women's game.

• Informative
Reactions: farm85

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
From what I understand, Ticketmaster (and other sites) business models basically act as cover for the events/artists themselves. The management companies running the tours and such are usually the ones that get a healthy portion of the money gained from “hidden fees”.

So if you’d like someone to be upset at, I’d probably start pointing my finger at the NCAA first.

That and their exclusivity deals with venues. If you're an artist and want to distance yourself from TM, most of the venues in the US would no longer be available to you.

• Winner
Reactions: 1100011CS

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
That and their exclusivity deals with venues. If you're an artist and want to distance yourself from TM, most of the venues in the US would no longer be available to you.
I looked at their 10K. They own, lease, or have exclusive rights to almost 400 venues. Majority of those are arenas between 6-30k seats.

Financially, they show revenue of $23B in 2023, and $1B in profit (just under 5%). That does not seem exorbitant. So I wonder if, as @AirWalke says, a lot of those fees get paid to the venues - either as part of the exclusivity deal, or the lease payments, etc.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Just be thankful they haven't gone to "premium pricing" yet for basketball.

$800 for decent seats at Pearl Jam because they know $800 is pocket change to some people and if they don't sell just drop them down to "face value" last minute.

wcamnclone

Oct 24, 2008
Fargo, ND
I got my tickets off of some site called MegaSeats.com. They seemed to be about $100-150 cheaper than anything Ticketmaster, Stubhub, Vivid Seats, Seat Geek had. But yes, the fees are absolutely ridiculous as they get them on both sides from the buyer & seller.

Tickets were transferred to me by the seller right after the selection show.