Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Apparently our current one decided to stop working this morning. Thankful we can watch wbb and mbb tonight without needing to stream. Suggestions on good modems?

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
You need a modem or a router? Your modem is usually provided by your ISP.

If it is indeed your modem, you need to specify what type of internet service you have (cable, DSL).

If it is your router, then I'm a big fan of our Orbi mesh router. But there are some good sales on Google's mesh routers this weekend that I've heard good things about as well.

Reactions: clonze2011

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006

If it is indeed your modem, you need to specify what type of internet service you have (cable, DSL).

If it is your router, then I'm a big fan of our Orbi mesh router. But there are some good sales on Google's mesh routers this weekend that I've heard good things about as well.
Google Mesh is good, especially if you have other Google devices. You don't need to be tech savvy to set it up and manage it. They're pretty foolproof.

• Agree
Reactions: cyfanatic

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
Yah if it’s a router you need, definitely go with mesh
I just upgraded and it’s incredible

Ms3r4ISU

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Our router is fine, I’m pretty sure. We have an Orbi. We have cable and stopped “renting” the company’s modem many years ago. It is indeed a new modem that we need. Current one is Arris Surfboard modem SB6121.

Darius Bieber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 22, 2017
San Antonio, TX
It's been a while since I had to purchase a modem, but I believe you also have to make sure that the modem you purchase is compatible with whoever your provider is. Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong, I think I haven't bought one in 10+ years. I believe your service provider will have a list of compatible devices.

Ms3r4ISU

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
It's been a while since I had to purchase a modem, but I believe you also have to make sure that the modem you purchase is compatible with whoever your provider is. Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong, I think I haven't bought one in 10+ years. I believe your service provider will have a list of compatible devices.
Yes, it’s Mediacom. However, in a message announcing higher upload speed and increased storage, they simply suggested DOCSIS 3.1

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
You mean people aren't on Fiber yet?

I get enough fiber in my diet, thank you.

Was a bit envious to see them adding fiber to a nearby burb while biking this summer. Not like I have any issues with my Comcast, it's fast and pretty reliable but it's priced like there is no competition, which there really isn't although Verizon is pushing their 5G home internet a lot.

Darius Bieber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 22, 2017
San Antonio, TX
I get enough fiber in my diet, thank you.

Was a bit envious to see them adding fiber to a nearby burb while biking this summer. Not like I have any issues with my Comcast, it's fast and pretty reliable but it's priced like there is no competition, which there really isn't although Verizon is pushing their 5G home internet a lot.
Google Fiber in West Des Moines and soon in Des Moines will be a gamechanger. I've had Google Fiber in San Antonio for years, and as a result, other ISPs have not only decreased their prices but also increased their speeds around here. But I'm still gonna stick to Google.

cyclone618

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 2, 2011
Ankeny
I have Mediacom cable (will likely switch to Metronet when it’s finally installed in my neighborhood). I’ve had the Orbi for 3 years and love it. I’ve had the Netgear CM1000 modem for 3 years and it has worked well. There may be a new model available.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
With mediacom we can buy or modem or rent it. I need our modem to last 15-18 months to equal their rent charges. Have a one year warranty so as long as it doesn’t go a few months after warranty I’m good.

• Winner
Reactions: wxman1

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
this @Ms3r4ISU

Cyclone06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Urbandale
We have mediacom. Their equipment only, a modem? We constantly have to unplug and reset. Is that because we do not have a router? I need help

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
I wish you had posted yesterday. There was a great Black Friday weekend deal on Amazon for a great cable modem for $60. I just checked and it’s out of stock now. Here is the link just in case you want to keep checking if it comes back in stock. https://a.co/d/11o0FfR

Ms3r4ISU

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
I wish you had posted yesterday. There was a great Black Friday weekend deal on Amazon for a great cable modem for $60. I just checked and it’s out of stock now. Here is the link just in case you want to keep checking if it comes back in stock. https://a.co/d/11o0FfR
Thanks, but my modem worked yesterday:)
Also, it started working again this afternoon (?) but I still want to buy a new one.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
I had a netgear CM1000 for years, it was rock solid and great. Gave it away to a buddy when I moved, and he still uses it. Wait till monday and see if there are deals.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia

So, your MOdulator/DEModulator died (These haven't been around for ions. I get a kick out of how many things are mislabeled these days). That said, you need a router. And I'd recommend you get something YOU can manage. Most allow management, but ISPs generally discourage it because most people don't really know what they're doing. I stayed on Frontier's back until they upgraded me to a router which I have full control over. That enables me to tighten security, direct traffic, assign addresses, subnet my internal network and view more detailed logs (handy when I showed them where their problem was). All very handy things. Oh! And I can lock them (ie ISP) out which I also like.

Help Support Us

Become a patron