Time for a Real Discussion About Caitlin Clark

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Agree. Last year having to go through 36-0 SC to get there, this year having to go through the LSU superteam and then UCONN, brutal.

Staley though, wow, to lose 5 players to the WNBA draft and then come back and coach a bunch of freshmen to 37-0 and a natty, that's impressive.

I think college wrestling is even worse for this, and while I know it's gotten better in wbb, I struggle with how much the talent is concentrated in two to four programs. Usually I just follow ISU so 1-3 games in the tournament, but following it all the way to Final Four the last few years it's this glaring obvious thing.

No other sport I follow is like that to that extent, even with the massive financial inequities of some sports like MLB and European soccer. UConn has been dominant in the mens game and the Cyclones beat them in an early round not that long ago without even being that great ourselves, they're 40-0 in the first two rounds of the wbb tournbament the last two decades.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
And this is good for the state??? Why we don’t want Iowa to do well, their loud fans are past cringey.

Yeah, overt displays of racism are objectively not "good for the state".

It was ugly last year...this year there's absolutely no reason for even the slightest bit. It's not like SC even showed any poor sportsmanship at all. With the LSU crew they left the door cracked open for that stuff, even though most of it was still pretty ugly.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I think college wrestling is even worse for this, and while I know it's gotten better in wbb, I struggle with how much the talent is concentrated in two to four programs. Usually I just follow ISU so 1-3 games in the tournament, but following it all the way to Final Four the last few years it's this glaring obvious thing.

No other sport I follow is like that to that extent, even with the massive financial inequities of some sports like MLB and European soccer. UConn has been dominant in the mens game and the Cyclones beat them in an early round not that long ago without even being that great ourselves, they're 40-0 in the first two rounds of the wbb tournbament the last two decades.
Wrestling is Penn state and everyone else. Michigan is buying wrestlers left and right, Okie state is now doing it. ISU was in 4th this year and Iowa was 5th. So ISU is definitely a program that is surging, but everyone knows it’s a fight for second.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
jfc she bent over backwards praising them hoping to avoid another national outrage.

Every team that Iowa has played has had to go overboard with how much they love Clark and Iowa. Maybe they all do.

• Puke
Reactions: WartburgClone

exCYtable

Apr 15, 2010
Hok boards are chok full of racist threads and comments right now. It's a trend over there. And then you look at their men's team and the ball don't lie universally in IC.

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
Lol, might want to tell Coach Otz that he's got a lot of work to do to catch up with North Linn.
So you actually think it’s more impressive to win a tournament consisting of 14 teams vs tournaments consisting of 40 or so teams?

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
So you actually think it’s more impressive to win a tournament consisting of 14 teams vs tournaments consisting of 40 or so teams?
Lol, yeah I think it's harder to win a B1G or SEC or Big 12 conference tourney than an Iowa HS tourney. Lol, are you f*cking serious? By your logic, Grundy Center deserves more credit for winning the 1A state title in football in Iowa than Michigan and Georgia do for winning the CFP the past few years.

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
Lol, yeah I think it's harder to win a B1G or SEC or Big 12 conference tourney than an Iowa HS tourney. Lol, are you f*cking serious? By your logic, Grundy Center deserves more credit for winning the 1A state title in football in Iowa than Michigan and Georgia do for winning the CFP the past few years.
LMAO!! You realize even CC couldn’t even win a measly state tournament, right? And by your account, winning a state title should be simple and unimpressive.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
LMAO!! You realize even CC couldn’t even win a measly state tournament, right? And by your account, winning a state title should be simple and unimpressive.
Lol, I'd be dodging and walking back too if I were you.

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
Lol, I'd be dodging and walking back too if I were you.
You’re right. Winning three games to win a conference title with 14 teams involved is far more impressive than winning 5-6 games with 40 or so teams involved.
If that’s your logic, then I have some volcano insurance to sell you for a home in Iowa

7Got6

Aug 16, 2021
Great career, incredibly enjoyable to watch. Would have loved to them to get that natty but getting there twice was still incredible. Going to be interesting to see how much she changes the women’s game long term.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
You’re right. Winning three games to win a conference title with 14 teams involved is far more impressive than winning 5-6 games with 40 or so teams involved.
If that’s your logic, then I have some volcano insurance to sell you for a home in Iowa
So you think Grundy Center's accomplishment is more impressive than Michigan's? Lol. Be honest. They won 5 playoff games, Michigan only had to win 2.

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
Great career, incredibly enjoyable to watch. Would have loved to them to get that natty but getting there twice was still incredible. Going to be interesting to see how much she changes the women’s game long term.
I don't think we will see a lot of logo 3's being allowed by coaches . WBB is full of young talent it's only going to continue to get the spotlight more and more

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
WE DON'T HAVE TO HEAR ABOUT CLARK LEADING THE HOKS TO A NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP AD NAUSEUM FOR ETERNITY
This is what I was trying to explain to my Dad before the game. He is an ISU fan and alum ('76) but he has been brainwashed by Hok media and living in eastern Iowa for the last 35 years into the whole "but, but, but, it's good for the state!"

I told him he was wrong and explained why, more or less verbatim with your post. I think I swayed him, as he was actively rooting for SC with me by halftime

• Agree
Reactions: Cy4Lifer and irish

Help Support Us

Become a patron