Time for a Real Discussion About Caitlin Clark

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
I knew who Lynette Woodard was and even watched her play as a kid, I thought it was really cool the Globetrotters had a girl player. If I'm being honest I was only vaguely familiar with Plum before this record breaking.

I think it's fantastic to call attention to Woodard's record if for nothing else to point out how absurd it is that women's basketball wasn't even an official NCAA sport until the mid 80s. It seems pretty obvious to me it's the most "real" scoring record for women's cbb before Clark's new record.

Basketball is a young sport and women's basketball is an incredibly young sport as evidenced by something like this. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you but I don't get why it's bad at all to make a big deal out of Woodard.
Not to mention that the NCAA recognizes Tara Vandermeer's wins from her AIAW years for the coaches' wins record (59 of her 1210 wins came before NCAA WBB). If you don't want to count the AIAW stats, fine, but you can't pick and choose which stats from the AIAW to count.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
Good on CC and I feel Indiana is the perfect landing spot with it being in the Midwest and having one of her good friends already on the team in Boston. I expect fever tickets to get a nice boost.

4cy16

Jun 14, 2021
CC said that her dreams came true, why would you dream of losing in the national title game. Strange.

• Haha
Reactions: Daserop

ISU_Guy

Jul 21, 2021
Des Moines
Good for her for declaring for the WNBA. she really has nothing to gain by staying. her core friends are leaving and she is going to battle a box and 1 type defense every single game if she stayed.

I am so happy for this to be over also and am interested how the following works out:
1. Bluder will do without CC
2. How the team will do without CC, Davis, Marshall and Martin. They basically get affolter and stuelke back. Stuelke just shot wide open layups for the most part because of the defense having to defend the other guards.
3. how the iowa womens basketball crowd is next year.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I bet the WNBA is kicking themselves they didn't rig the lottery to send her to a bigger market than Indianapolis. I love the Midwest and chose to come back to Iowa to live in the long term after 11+ years on the East Coast, but she'd have more marquis media value in LA or NY for the whole league.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I got the Fever.
200w.gif

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I knew who Lynette Woodard was and even watched her play as a kid, I thought it was really cool the Globetrotters had a girl player. If I'm being honest I was only vaguely familiar with Plum before this record breaking.

I think it's fantastic to call attention to Woodard's record if for nothing else to point out how absurd it is that women's basketball wasn't even an official NCAA sport until the mid 80s. It seems pretty obvious to me it's the most "real" scoring record for women's cbb before Clark's new record.

Basketball is a young sport and women's basketball is an incredibly young sport as evidenced by something like this. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you but I don't get why it's bad at all to make a big deal out of Woodard.
Wasn’t downplaying her record. I felt that Iowa should have just locked on one as the record and went with it. If they wanted Woodwards, then wait until that. If they wanted it to be Plums then that one. It just seems like they went nuts over Plums and now they are trying to hold attention by talking about breaking this one. Now they want to talk Pistol Pete’s without showing their hypocrisy about attacking swoopes because she was mistaken and said it was a year more and now downplaying that PPs was 3.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Wasn’t downplaying her record. I felt that Iowa should have just locked on one as the record and went with it. If they wanted Woodwards, then wait until that. If they wanted it to be Plums then that one. It just seems like they went nuts over Plums and now they are trying to hold attention by talking about breaking this one. Now they want to talk Pistol Pete’s without showing their hypocrisy about attacking swoopes because she was mistaken and said it was a year more and now downplaying that PPs was 3.
Lol, yeah it was only Iowa talking about her breaking the Plum record. Duh.

• Winner
Reactions: iahawks

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

To me Woodard’s record should matter for sure but it’s no fault of Iowa they had to deal with both.

Pete’s record has nothing to do with anything. That minor record that’s like a very old d3 record may be even less relevant.

Just my opinion.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
Good for her for declaring for the WNBA. she really has nothing to gain by staying. her core friends are leaving and she is going to battle a box and 1 type defense every single game if she stayed.

I am so happy for this to be over also and am interested how the following works out:
2. How the team will do without CC, Davis, Marshall and Martin. They basically get affolter and stuelke back. Stuelke just shot wide open layups for the most part because of the defense having to defend the other guards.
Bluder has done a poor job of developing her bench since CC has been there. The past few weeks, she has called out her bench post players for not performing.

I watched CC yell at the bench players in Ames this year because they didn't know what to do when they were on the floor.

There are already Iowa fans commenting that Bluder should dump some her returners for next year and hit the portal to find players with experience. They don't have a point guard with any meaningful playing time. The role players over the past few years have never had the pressure to score consistently, that all changes when you have to replace 56 points a game. It may be a full rebuild for Bluder.

Their attendance will drop, people bought tickets to see CC, with her gone what's the reason for going?

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
Is this where I say, honestly, I didn't realize there was a WNBA team in Indiana named the Fever?
Honestly I can’t provide the full name other than them now…and LA sparks? That’s without going to espn or something

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018

The Cyclone women will kick their asses next season.