Time for a Real Discussion About Caitlin Clark

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Daughter in 5th grade came home whining wanting a Caitlin Clark jersey. She told us all the kids are wearing theirs to school (boys as well). Mind you we live in Morton, MN. Wife took her to get one. I'm not happy about it but I get it.
You need to sit down with your wife and have a serious talk. Her actions have crossed a line.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I do feel that a lot of us are underrating Clark as an athlete. She's not super-strong or a great leaper but she is tremendously fast.
I actually think she's pretty strong. Stronger than most women at her position maybe not as strong as a 4 or 5 in the women's game. She has no vertical to speak of, and I'm not sure about lateral quickness, but she is fast and has elite speed with the basketball.

• Agree
Reactions: jcyclonee

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Daughter in 5th grade came home whining wanting a Caitlin Clark jersey. She told us all the kids are wearing theirs to school (boys as well). Mind you we live in Morton, MN. Wife took her to get one. I'm not happy about it but I get it.
This is strange. My apologies, for thinking that, but can you just wander in to the local Walmart in Morton, MN and buy a CC jersey? I can't even do that in my big- city- for- Iowa that's less than 2 hours from Iowa City.

• Agree
Reactions: Tailg8er

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
All those people out there, like both CW and Hassel for example, that couldn’t wait to tune in because they were expecting a WWE type “show”, must have been disappointed last night.

There were no fireworks to speak of…. CC behaved, Reese behaved, Mulkey was actually about as normal as I’ve ever seen her. No fights, nobody really mocking one another. It was very civilized. Those that wanted to see a train wreck, got nothing.

CW even said it was the sporting event he was most looking forward to EVER! Really CW? I could name at least 10 ISU sporting events that I’ve looked forward to a LOT more, but I’m an ISU fan.
Cw panders a lot on that show to Iowa fans especially with regard to Clark sensationalism. I'm guessing he was definitely excited about it, but I call bs that he was looking forward more to that than to say Iowa State MBB most recent Sweet 16 game.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Cw panders a lot on that show to Iowa fans especially with regard to Clark sensationalism. I'm guessing he was definitely excited about it, but I call bs that he was looking forward more to that than to say Iowa State MBB most recent Sweet 16 game.

I’ll have to go back and watch it again. Almost positive CW said he was looking more forward to Iowa-LSU than any sporting event that he could remember.

I love 2 Guys Named Chris, but boy has CW revealed the closet Hawkeye fan that he is on that show. It’s sad.

He is rooting for CC and Bluder big time. Easily more than he was for the ISU women’s team.

NENick

Feb 14, 2017
I’ll have to go back and watch it again. Almost positive CW said he was looking more forward to Iowa-LSU than any sporting event that he could remember.

I love 2 Guys Named Chris, but boy has CW revealed the closet Hawkeye fan that he is on that show. It’s sad.

He is rooting for CC and Bluder big time. Easily more than he was for the ISU women’s team.
I have serious doubts that any of this is accurate, especially the last sentence.

Bigger picture, a person can be a fan of high level sports. A repeat of the national championship game, with 2 of the biggest stars in the sport, for a spot in the final 4, can be exciting to a fan of the sport, without it being evidence they've turned their back on their favorite team.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I have serious doubts that any of this is accurate, especially the last sentence.

Bigger picture, a person can be a fan of high level sports. A repeat of the national championship game, with 2 of the biggest stars in the sport, for a spot in the final 4, can be exciting to a fan of the sport, without it being evidence they've turned their back on their favorite team.
Agree. It's a weird take. I was looking forward to Carr v. O'Toole this year at Nationals more than probably any other match.

Reactions: BigCyFan and NENick

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA

He definitely stated that we was looking forward to it more than any sporting event in his lifetime. It made me wonder how much he had been drinking in KC.

Just when you think you can't get any more sick of all the CC fawning, now you get slapped in the face over and over with the tv ratings. And I didn't think I'd be able to make it through the week!! Congratulations on this great & historic accomplishment not having to face ANY competitors such as NFL football, college football, men's college basketball...heck even a major golf tournament.

Give me a break. :rolleyes:

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
He definitely stated that we was looking forward to it more than any sporting event in his lifetime. It made me wonder how much he had been drinking in KC.

Just when you think you can't get any more sick of all the CC fawning, now you get slapped in the face over and over with the tv ratings. And I didn't think I'd be able to make it through the week!! Congratulations on this great & historic accomplishment not having to face ANY competitors such as NFL football, college football, men's college basketball...heck even a major golf tournament.

I thought that’s what he said. It was pathetic. I was also looking forward to it, but not more than an entire list of ISU events in my lifetime that I could come up with.

• Dumb
Reactions: Halincandenza

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012

I really doubt that he is a closet hawk. Does he pander to the current hot thing oh yeah.
Hell he was BFFs with that drunk driving farmer that got by with killing his neighbor in a accident.
CW is a Clone but also in media so he is always headed to the next hot thing on social media and like it or not right now CC and the Hawks are the talk of sports and social media. Best thing we can do is cheer for UConn so the media can move to the next big thing. Go Huskies!

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
I really doubt that he is a closet hawk. Does he pander to the current hot thing oh yeah.
Hell he was BFFs with that drunk driving farmer that got by with killing his neighbor in a accident.
CW is a Clone but also in media so he is always headed to the next hot thing on social media and like it or not right now CC and the Hawks are the talk of sports and social media. Best thing we can do is cheer for UConn so the media can move to the next big thing. Go Huskies!
Wow I forgot about this lol
Those days of the FAWCast probably need an oral history thread lol

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque

Yeah they were up against late-season NBA where less than half the teams are still trying and early season MLB which typically takes 2-3 months to take off for most casual fans interest. Maybe some NHL, not sure. Good for them for topping that type of stuff I suppose.

• Haha
Reactions: iahawks

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
The FawCast was an all-timer podcast on CF. I really enjoyed it. Not sure if it's better than anything they're putting out currently, but at the time it was probably my favorite or 2nd favorite podcast on the network.

Reactions: jaj040 and DSMCy

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I thought that’s what he said. It was pathetic. I was also looking forward to it, but not more than an entire list of ISU events in my lifetime that I could come up with.
I don't really look forward to watching Iowa WBB/Caitlin Clark. I watch hoping for them to lose, like any good Cyclone fan should, but it isn't generally appointment for me until we get to this time of the sports calendar where not much else is happening.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006

He’s not a closet Hawk fan any longer…. he’s out in the wide open about it now.

But I guess I get it somewhat…. on Iowa Everywhere he has to pander to all things Iowa…. not just ISU. It is what it is.

I couldn’t do it, but that’s just me. I’ve been treated too horribly by Hawk fans for about 45 years now to ever wish good things on them. Having them yell obscenities at my kids when they were young at an ISU-Iowa football game put me over the top. Then years later having full beer cans thrown at me and other ISU fans walking to our cars at Kinnick didn’t help any.

So I’m sorry if I’m not worshipping the ground CC walks on and cheering for them.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
Yeah they were up against late-season NBA where less than half the teams are still trying and early season MLB which typically takes 2-3 months to take off for most casual fans interest. Maybe some NHL, not sure. Good for them for topping that type of stuff I suppose.
Trying to downplay a women’s game that had more viewers than any college basketball game in ESPN history and more than a LSU and Bama football game is hilarious.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
This is where I'm at. CW is a businessman when it comes to Iowa Everywhere. He's going to go where the hot topics take him. Right now, it's CC and even more so given that there really aren't any other ISU/UI topics to cover.

That being said, I've stopped listening to 2GNC in the last few weeks because I can't stand to listen to all the CC love (deserved or undeserved). I'm forced into plenty of that just paying attention to sports right now.

• Agree
Reactions: alarson

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Trying to downplay a women’s game that had more viewers than any college basketball game in ESPN history and more than a LSU and Bama football game is hilarious.

Imagine being this emotionally invested in the TV ratings of a basketball game. When people say Iowa is a poverty fanbase, this is exactly what they are talking about.

• Haha
  • Winner
Reactions: Candide and iahawks

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
All those people out there, like both CW and Hassel for example, that couldn’t wait to tune in because they were expecting a WWE type “show”, must have been disappointed last night.

There were no fireworks to speak of…. CC behaved, Reese behaved, Mulkey was actually about as normal as I’ve ever seen her. No fights, nobody really mocking one another. It was very civilized. Those that wanted to see a train wreck, got nothing.

CW even said it was the sporting event he was most looking forward to EVER! Really CW? I could name at least 10 ISU sporting events that I’ve looked forward to a LOT more, but I’m an ISU fan.
You’re surprised a self admitted die hard pro wrestling fan was excited for the storyline rather than the actual game haha?

• Winner
Reactions: clonedude

ackatch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 22, 2021
Waukee
So - at the time of the FAWCast I was living in Minnesota and as a software developer, I had A LOT of time to listen to stuff. I really enjoyed the FAW and probably listened to all of them at least 3X, to the point where I had a spreadsheet keeping track of who was on each episode, if there was a guest, and/or important things that happened... out of sheer boredom. At one point Stansbury messaged me asking what episode ## they were on cause he forgot.

Anyway - there were some real gems in that podcast, and some real duds. I'll never forget going to the 100th episode party and it being me, a buddy, and my wife there with basically the CF staff and Charter. Ate a lot of cake and drank a few beers, was a good time.