Time for a Real Discussion About Caitlin Clark

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
Funny watching the hawk fans and writers (same thing, I know) try to spin it as anything but a bad first outing for their golden girl. "This coach is terrible, they should hire Bluder!"... "If she had any help it'd be great, Boston (last year's rookie of the year iirc) is not good!"... "They only had 2 weeks to gel, just need more time!"... "She still put up 20 points, greatest shooter of all time!"...

What I haven't seen mentioned:
- Twice as many TO's as FG's made
- 2nd worst +/- in the game at -13
- 33% shooting from the floor
- 14 points on 15 shots
- Only 3 assists with 0 (zero!) rebounds

No way can you spin that performance to say she was efficient, effective, or a benefit to her team. This Fever buzz in central Iowa should die down to zilch after a few more games like that.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
I know it was only her first WNBA game... but it'll be hilarious if she ends up being the biggest bust in WNBA history.
I think ESPN is gonna try to push her as being good as long as humanly possible. It’s even bad that WNBA legends crap on her (they seem to hate their own game).

I’ve never thought the hype would translate to long term WNBA growth and I’m even a season ticket holder with some friends (several of us split it and live within walking distance).

I might need to find a picture but the 50/50 prize at a Chicago Sky game, one of the largest WNBA markets, is like $100.

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
You come off very defensive at anything even slightly negative posted about her. It’s like she is your family or close fri

Funny watching the hawk fans and writers (same thing, I know) try to spin it as anything but a bad first outing for their golden girl. "This coach is terrible, they should hire Bluder!"... "If she had any help it'd be great, Boston (last year's rookie of the year iirc) is not good!"... "They only had 2 weeks to gel, just need more time!"... "She still put up 20 points, greatest shooter of all time!"...

What I haven't seen mentioned:
- Twice as many TO's as FG's made
- 2nd worst +/- in the game at -13
- 33% shooting from the floor
- 14 points on 15 shots
- Only 3 assists with 0 (zero!) rebounds

No way can you spin that performance to say she was efficient, effective, or a benefit to her team. This Fever buzz in central Iowa should die down to zilch after a few more games like that.
Hard to rebound when you stand around and wait for an inbound pass so you can try to shoot.

Gary_ISU

Apr 12, 2006
I watched part of the game. The thing that stood out to me was how bad she was defensively. She got burned by a back door cut because she was watching the ball, didn’t box out, didn’t hustle back to pick up an open shooter. Her offensive game was bad but defensively she was equally bad.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I watched part of the game. The thing that stood out to me was how bad she was defensively. She got burned by a back door cut because she was watching the ball, didn’t box out, didn’t hustle back to pick up an open shooter. Her offensive game was bad but defensively she was equally bad.
It’s clear she’s received no coaching. Even the stars at UConn or SC get coached hard. CC has been allowed to do whatever she wants and never was coached on defense or protecting the ball.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
Not shocking this thread was revived the night of her first wnba game. What was shocking was her box score. 33% shooting, 0 rebounds, 3 assists, 10 turnovers (which is a record for any player’s first wnba game). Yikes. But I’m sure you’ll just continue to attack people here and/or spin her performance last night as something positive. Either way, my popcorn is ready
Not going to spin anything. She didn’t play well which wasn’t shocking to me considering it was her first WNBA game going against one of the better teams.

Letterkenny

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 26, 2023
She didn't play a lick of defense at Iowa. Saved all her energy for the other end of the court.

If she isn't the best player on the court night in and night out, her antics will get old real quick.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
She didn't play a lick of defense at Iowa. Saved all her energy for the other end of the court.

If she isn't the best player on the court night in and night out, her antics will get old real quick.

She's quick enough that half-assed defense was enough to usually get the win. She'll have to learn how to actually play defense now that everyone is the same level of quickness as her.

I watched for about 60 seconds and saw her shoot a contested logo three pointer and wave her arms to the ref after a call. She'll be fine just needs to settle in....but the fans saying she's already the best WNBA player? give me a break.

Also, from watching the local news this morning you'd think Des Moines has a WNBA team.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
The WNBA is hoping to draw more eyes to their games, but that game last night was not the way to do it. I watched some of it, but man it was ugly. I had a daughter play high school basketball and I love watching the Cyclone women play, but the style of play in the WNBA is really rough to watch.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
The WNBA is hoping to draw more eyes to their games, but that game last night was not the way to do it. I watched some of it, but man it was ugly. I had a daughter play high school basketball and I love watching the Cyclone women play, but the style of play in the WNBA is really rough to watch.

Agreed....it just seemed very congested...poor spacing.

• Agree
Reactions: CyNews and bozclone

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Not shocking this thread was revived the night of her first wnba game. What was shocking was her box score. 33% shooting, 0 rebounds, 3 assists, 10 turnovers (which is a record for any player’s first wnba game). Yikes. But I’m sure you’ll just continue to attack people here and/or spin her performance last night as something positive. Either way, my popcorn is ready
Also had 20 pt. Led all players along with Bonner. You left that one out.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I imagine there's a reason the Fever got to pick first, probably because they sucked. She'll probably adapt in time, they didn't pick her first to rebound, they picked her to score, just needs to protect the ball better. It would probably help too if her teammates did something, Boston with a whopping 4 points.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
Rarely do you see a rookie in any sport receive so much defensive attention.

You could see Connecticut chase her all over the court. Tells you how good they think she is.