Time for a Real Discussion About Caitlin Clark

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
It’s taken an interesting turn. Bumped by ISU fans who are apparently still following her. Who then proceed to get into arguments with ISU fans simping for her. Unholy combination.
CyHig told me this thread is alive because me and other Iowa fans keep bumping. Meanwhile he has probably posted in this thread 50 times more than I have. CC has broke him.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
I don’t think it’s simping for her, it’s more calling out weirdo behavior by the same 5-6 posters who clearly despise her. The same 5-6 posters who breakdown every single game since last November (but make it a point to say they DO NOT CARE about her). Thought it would end when she left Iowa but I guess not.

Local radio and tv won't let it end by talking about her every chance they take. I'm so tired of CC coverage being jammed down my throat. Murph and Andy now talk about the WNBA like they are experts. Hopefully once the WNBA season ends the coverage will die down but I'm not holding my breath.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Yeah she'll need to adjust to not being able to make many of the same passes as she could in college, just better faster defenders. She should've had a few more assists if not for missed bunnies.
I thought her turnovers were going to go down because she is playing with better players.

• Optimistic
Reactions: cyputz and Tailg8er

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
It is possible that Caitlin is just a really good offensive player with elite instincts, but not the g.o.a.t? Seems like that has been the case to me for awhile now. I spent more time watching her this year than in years past and it seems like there are other players in the women's game that might actually be better complete players. Better athletes, defenders etc. and can still score and pass the ball. Certainly better rebounders. I was not surprised to see she had 0 rebounds last night. Most of her rebounds in college seemed like chasing down shots that missed long and I don't think I've ever seen a player gather more rebounds without having to jump for the ball.

You are correct. She just had a coach who would let her do whatever she wanted. She became bigger than the program. She was a great college player but swap her and Bueckers and they both have way different college careers.

Reactions: Cyinthenorth

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
Local radio and tv won't let it end by talking about her every chance they take. I'm so tired of CC coverage being jammed down my throat. Murph and Andy now talk about the WNBA like they are experts. Hopefully once the WNBA season ends the coverage will die down but I'm not holding my breath.
I can respect that but at the same time there has never been a time in the history of existence where there have been more options to consume the content you want to. Podcasts, music, tv shows/movies at our fingertips, radio stations, e books, ect. I get it if you feel certain media jam it down your throat but there are so many more options out there.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
I can respect that but at the same time there has never been a time in the history of existence where there have been more options to consume the content you want to. Podcasts, music, tv shows/movies at our fingertips, radio stations, e books, ect. I get it if you feel certain media jam it down your throat but there are so many more options out there.

New Williams and Blum pod has dropped :chris:

And you’re correct. Even with kxno, they podcast their shows so you can listen later and skip over anything you’re not interested in. Helps for seeking the murph and Andy pods with Jamie.

Miller & Condon is probably the show I still pod the most living out of market. They cover everything in a no-nonsense way without harping on one thing.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Final thought on this for you: Shaquille O’Neil was generally in the top 15 each year in made free throws. With your team up 2, 10 seconds left and have the ball, would you leave Shaq in the game? After all, he is a top 15 player in made free throws. Can’t imagine anyone else you’d want to send to the free throw line in that situation.

That’s why percentages and ratios are more valuable than volume
k

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Murph reminding everyone she only had 3 assists because her teammates missed passes. I like Murph a lot but this is cringe.

cyputz

Jul 26, 2006
I thought her turnovers were going to go down because she is playing with better players.
Optimistic take to go down.
I think they will get higher as yes, she is playing against with better players. However, more importantly - she is playing AGAINST better players that better play defense.
As Clark’s reminded, quit hanging out in space on defense, and get back on defense when you creat a turnover.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
I watched parts of the game. I watched before the Pacers started and when the Pacers went to commercial breaks. CC didn't look like a non starter. She struggled some, but the Fever did not look like a very good team overall. She was as good as any Fever player in my opinion. The Fever should have talent given the high draft picks they have had over the last three years, but they did not look good last night. The WNBA is going to lose some momentum if the Fever are a bad team this year. The game was not fun to watch at all in my opinion.
There is a reason they've had the last two first-round draft picks. They haven't been to the playoffs since 2016 and are 58-174 from 2017-2023. 8 of the 12 teams make the playoffs and haven't been able to do that since 2016.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
There is a reason they've had the last two first-round draft picks. They haven't been to the playoffs since 2016 and are 58-174 from 2017-2023. 8 of the 12 teams make the playoffs and haven't been able to do that since 2016.
They also had the #2 pick three years ago.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I would counter that for sports fans like 100% of us participating in this forum likely are, it has been hard to tune CC out. Especially if you live in Iowa. If you are not a sports fan, then yes, many other ways to take in content and not encounter CC. It has gotten better the further removed we get from the Women's NCG and the WNBA draft. Despite the media's best efforts.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
How wild would it be if in an effort to get Caitlin back into the state of Iowa, the Fever continue to suck until the owner is forced to sell the team to some ownership group in Des Moines? Let's bring Caitlin home!

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I would counter that for sports fans like 100% of us participating in this forum likely are, it has been hard to tune CC out. Especially if you live in Iowa. If you are not a sports fan, then yes, many other ways to take in content and not encounter CC. It has gotten better the further removed we get from the Women's NCG and the WNBA draft. Despite the media's best efforts.

Living on the west coast there were maybe 2-3 weeks ever where Clark was "omnipresent" just as a general sports fan. Not really much more than the Purdy mania. Other than this board of course. This thing where it's been two years straight is only for local Iowa fans or the small handful of people for which WBB has been their #1 sport for decades.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Living on the west coast there were maybe 2-3 weeks ever where Clark was "omnipresent" just as a general sports fan. Not really much more than the Purdy mania. Other than this board of course. This thing where it's been two years straight is only for local Iowa fans or the small handful of people for which WBB has been their #1 sport for decades.
I get that. I always suspected it was more brutal for non-Iowa fan Iowans. It's on all the podcasts we listen to, save for CF, KXNO, the local news, local and national commercials, bombards our social media feeds uninvited, and hell, we can't even shop for groceries hardly without running into a cardboard cut out of her.

Forgot to include all the 'woke' dudes wearing her #22 Iowa T-Shirts, as if we're going to forget she exists or something.

• Dumb
Reactions: Cydkar

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I get that. I always suspected it was more brutal for non-Iowa fan Iowans. It's on all the podcasts we listen to, save for CF, KXNO, the local news, local and national commercials, bombards our social media feeds uninvited, and hell, we can't even shop for groceries hardly without running into a cardboard cut out of her.

Forgot to include all the 'woke' dudes wearing her #22 Iowa T-Shirts, as if we're going to forget she exists or something.

That Pinball Wizard video I posted :)

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
Most of that game last night was booooring. Not good ball movement, terrible shooting (they couldn’t even hit their free throws, I thought that was one of the big advantages of the women’s game) … if they hoped airing Indiana Fever games was going to blow up fan interest in the WNBA, they’re going to have to find better games than that.