Time for a Real Discussion About Caitlin Clark

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
The Hawkeye way in basketball is not play defense. It does not translate well at the next level. Chucking up shots all night will catch up to you when you play better competition.

Reactions: casey1973

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Not on this form. Might get the Christian Laettner treatment just to get the pub, get some experience, and satisfy Nike/sponsors.
The pub isn't going to last long if she doesn't play WAY better.

The thing is all the attention, hype and pub isn't accounting for her to be a good player. It's all based on the expectation that she's going to be a great, if not dominant/generational player in the WNBA.

Even if she really gets adjusted and starts playing well. Anything less than her being an All-Star and all-WNBA player out of the gates is going to be a massive flop in terms of hype and expectations.

Those expectations might be unfair to her and completely unrealistic, but that is what they are by fans, media, and sponsors. None of the people on the hype train are thinking she's going to be anything other than dominant in the WNBA. The single most hyped WBB player in history by orders of magnitude isn't going to keep getting attention if she's just one of the better players in the league. At that point there are better, more interesting players in the league.

Fans, media and sponsors moved off really fast from guys that were really hyped like Zion or Ben Simmons, even when they still were good players and had a lot of promise. Zion is a good player and is fun to watch. But there is just no reason to focus on guys like that when there are better players out there to follow.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
She doesn’t suck but in basketball (men’s or women’s) for someone that doesn’t have elite athleticism combined with elite physical biology the ceiling is lowered. It’s the one sport where that combination is more important than any other, even football. Just because the number of players on the floor combined with the “positionless” aspect of the game. ie a “center” in basketball can take and make 3’s effectively, “guards” can dunk and score inside effectively, whereas in football a center cant do what a QB does. A QB can’t do what a LB does. At best a few elite elite players like Lamar Jackson can throw tds, run for tds, and with the proper training could be a pretty good return man, receiver, or corner.

Ever heard of Joel Lanning?!?

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
These WNBA veterans will talk publicly about how great CC is for the game, etc…. but you know darn well they all want to give her a rude welcome to the league. Put her in her place. I love it!

Marcelason78

Mar 4, 2022
I'll say it again...

1. …At Iowa, their sole mission was to get the ball in her hands every moment possible.…
  2. A part (don't know how big of one) of what made CC so seemingly dominant in college is she absolutely maximized her shots…
The primary thing that set her apart were her logo 3s. Bluder tolerated her jacking up deep shots like no other player in the college game. If she can’t do the same in the W, she‘ll be just another player.

Last edited:

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
read an article that the fans want the coach fired as she cant get clark her shots and bluder to be hired. also Clark is fouling too much and again that is the coach's fault.
One of two things end up happening

1. The fever continues to suck and the current coach gets canned. Bluder takes over and it's the CC show again, only it's the WNBA so the fever still suck

2. The fever continues to suck and cc starts to look into how she can influence the right people to build an expansion franchise in Des Moines, then immediately demands a trade when that happens

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
The primary thing that set her apart were her logo 3s. Bluder tolerated her jacking up deep shots like no other player in the college game. If she can’t do the same in the W, she‘ll be just another player.
That is a lazy take. Her court vision and passing were incredible. If she had normal 3-point shooting, that court vision and passing would set her apart on its own.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
These WNBA veterans will talk publicly about how great CC is for the game, etc…. but you know darn well they all want to give her a rude welcome to the league. Put her in her place. I love it!

I'm sure they will try to give her a rude awakening like they would any new player, but the entire WNBA owes a lot to Clark and all these other stars this year. Its getting eyeballs on their games which is going to mean increased revenue, increased salaries, increased benefits.

• Creative
  • Optimistic
Reactions: cyputz and NWICY

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
One of two things end up happening

1. The fever continues to suck and the current coach gets canned. Bluder takes over and it's the CC show again, only it's the WNBA so the fever still suck

2. The fever continues to suck and cc starts to look into how she can influence the right people to build an expansion franchise in Des Moines, then immediately demands a trade when that happens

This is freaking crazy talk. The hype machine got out of control and now it’s barreling down the tracks without a driver. There’s going to be a lot of people scratching their heads when “this changes everything” barely changes anything. Successfully bringing women’s sports further to the front is going to be a methodical and slow build, think MLS. It’s not going to happen because of one savior figure.

Imo the NWSL has a much better chance of growth and breaking down a barrier than the WNBA.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
This is freaking crazy talk. The hype machine got out of control and now it’s barreling down the tracks without a driver. There’s going to be a lot of people scratching their heads when “this changes everything” barely changes anything. Successfully bringing women’s sports further to the front is going to be a methodical and slow build, think MLS. It’s not going to happen because of one savior figure.

Imo the NWSL has a much better chance of growth and breaking down a barrier than the WNBA.
I am all for bringing women's basketball to the forefront, but I'd rather someone else be the savior figure. Because **** Iowa!

For the record, I do think she'll be good if not great sooner than later. Probably clicks halfway thru the season, and then she'll be all-star caliber next season and beyond.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
At some point they will play another poor team and all will be right in their world

Cyclones have an already All Star point guard in an NBA playoffs second round elimination game tonight trying to bounce back from a bad game. If local media is hungry for some actually relevant sports content during college sports off season...

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
I'm sure they will try to give her a rude awakening like they would any new player, but the entire WNBA owes a lot to Clark and all these other stars this year. Its getting eyeballs on their games which is going to mean increased revenue, increased salaries, increased benefits.
Let's see how the numbers are in a month or two before assuming they continue.

People are tuning in now because it is the start of the season, and tbh, there really isn't much on regular TV right now.

Are people going to keep tuning in the watch the Fever after the month of May, when they don't win any games or maybe get one win?

In the next month, you have the NBA finals, NHL finals, U.S. Open Golf, College World Series (softball and baseball), and the WNBA. Throw in the end of the WNBA season is the start of college football. On a Saturday afternoon in the fall, are you watching college football or a WNBA game?

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I don't really care for Clark because I am an Iowa State fan and I don't really care for anything Iowa. But I sort of feel sorry for her.

Why wouldn't you expect to struggle a bit at first? NBA #1 picks take some time to get going (if they ever do). It's not surprising. But yet the people that are weirdly obsessed with her are blaming everyone but her. I've seen tweets about her teammates not passing to her. I've seen tweets about her coach.

Reactions: Tailg8er

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
Let's see how the numbers are in a month or two before assuming they continue.

People are tuning in now because it is the start of the season, and tbh, there really isn't much on regular TV right now.

Are people going to keep tuning in the watch the Fever after the month of May, when they don't win any games or maybe get one win?

In the next month, you have the NBA finals, NHL finals, U.S. Open Golf, College World Series (softball and baseball), and the WNBA. Throw in the end of the WNBA season is the start of college football. On a Saturday afternoon in the fall, are you watching college football or a WNBA game?
That's kind of my point. It doesn't make sense for anyone associated with the WNBA to publically knock down Clark or anyone else. This year is the best chance the WNBA to grow.

Of course ratings would be down if they go up against football, but it's how they compare that really matters.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I don't really care for Clark because I am an Iowa State fan and I don't really care for anything Iowa. But I sort of feel sorry for her.

Why wouldn't you expect to struggle a bit at first? NBA #1 picks take some time to get going (if they ever do). It's not surprising. But yet the people that are weirdly obsessed with her are blaming everyone but her. I've seen tweets about her teammates not passing to her. I've seen tweets about her coach.

Wemby was a shot blocker from day one but he had kind of historically bad turnover numbers all season. His FG% was pretty bad early on but improved. Might have been the most hyped rookie since LeBron.