Time for a Real Discussion About Caitlin Clark

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I saw part of the second half yesterday, she looked fine, obviously outside of the turnover/technical foul sequence. She's going to need to get way stronger to able to deal with contact, which I'm sure will happen over time. The biggest thing that stands out is still her mental toughness, that's the ultimate question mark still.

Reactions: Cyrealist

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Her defensive rating is 117.1, which ranks her #112 out of 126. But defense doesn’t draw viewers; defense just wins games
If they drafted her for her defense their scouting department should be fired into the sun. Most of her team is in the bottom 15 of defensive rating, because their team sucks.

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
There are 14 worse defenders in the league?
Vast majority of the players worse than CC defensively average a handful of minutes per game. I think 2 averaged more than 20 minutes per game

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Really not a bad stat line if you take your glasses off and take it at face value. It's good to see the league is garnering some more attention at least.
That's still a big question mark. The Fever's season debut vs. the Sun drew an average of 2.1 million viewers. The following game between Phoenix and Las Vegas drew an average of 464,000. That's a pretty big gap. Same with attendance. Last Fever game v. the Liberty drew 18,000 attendance. The same day the Chicago Sky v. Dallas Wings game had less than 8,000.

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
There are 14 worse defenders in the league?
Should also add that CC was a -18 last night. Her counterpart (Wheeler) was a +16. Wheeler’s defensive efficiency is ranked #85, which is actually second best on the team for anyone averaging 10+ minutes per game.

4cy16

Jun 14, 2021
I saw part of the second half yesterday, she looked fine, obviously outside of the turnover/technical foul sequence. She's going to need to get way stronger to able to deal with contact, which I'm sure will happen over time. The biggest thing that stands out is still her mental toughness, that's the ultimate question mark still.
But why didn't she come into the league already strong?

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Love how Iowa people are screaming moving screen (Ickyholt is one) on CC and complaining about the refs. JFC! Do these folks live in caves or what? Have they never watched an NBA game before? She's a rookie people, she's not going to get all the calls. She does not have the size/build to handle the screens. That has been evident see the screen that Breanna Stewart set on her.

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013
This is just dumb. In the tournament, she played 5 straight ranked teams including 3 of the Top 6. Averaged 30/7/8 in those 5 games. During the season, she played against 10 more ranked teams and was the NPOY. She was plenty battle- tested.
A lot of NCAAW teams play indifferent defense and have a lot of undersized players. West Virginia and South Carolina played tough, physical defense and she struggled some against both. I think she has the skill set to be a star in the WNBA if she keeps a good attitude and puts in the work. As was posted earlier, she definitely needs to get in the weight room when the season is over.

Reactions: Cloned4Life

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013
Love how Iowa people are screaming moving screen (Ickyholt is one) on CC and complaining about the refs. JFC! Do these folks live in caves or what? Have they never watched an NBA game before? She's a rookie people, she's not going to get all the calls. She does not have the size/build to handle the screens. That has been evident see the screen that Breanna Stewart set on her.
The Iowa fanboys think the league should roll out the red carpet for her. I will say it's too bad she landed on such a weak team.

• Agree
Reactions: cycloner29

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
From the 120 or so minutes of WNBA I've watched thus far, I'm not sure any one player can make this a watchable product. I realize they don't have much preseason practice but that is not entertaining basketball by any definition.

And if Clark and Conner have a kid they should just name it EJ. Short for ejection because if it plays basketball it will spend a lot of second halves watching the game form the locker room.

Last edited:

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
From the 120 or so minutes of WNBA I've watched thus far, I'm not sure any one player can make this a watchable product. I realize they don't have much preseason practice but that is not entertaining basketball by any definition.

This exists and an all star starter who is still alive is a Cyclone who wears his letterman jacket to games. I just don't get how some of us are watching CC and not Pacers/TWolves in these two series that start tonight.

goody2012

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2014
That's still a big question mark. The Fever's season debut vs. the Sun drew an average of 2.1 million viewers. The following game between Phoenix and Las Vegas drew an average of 464,000. That's a pretty big gap. Same with attendance. Last Fever game v. the Liberty drew 18,000 attendance. The same day the Chicago Sky v. Dallas Wings game had less than 8,000.
It's never been "women's sports" gaining popularity, it's always been just CC...

Texbudman

Nov 20, 2012
Arlington,Tx
Just an FYI-the Wings arena only holds 8,000. They play in UT Arlington arena. They will move to bigger arena in Dallas next year I believe

Help Support Us

Become a patron