Tips for Building a New Home

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Not to cowboy the thread, but I've been wanting to re-do the patio outside of our basement walk out. Nothing crazy, 300-400 sf, maybe a decorative stamp or something to make the wifey happy. Had crew from DSM come down (Warren County) and they quoted $6k. Seemed pretty high. Any suggestions on flatwork appreciated.

Steps is where they get you if you have any. Concrete work has gotten crazy lately. Honestly it is not difficult. You can buy a roll of stencil from a home depot/Menards and do it yourself some.

Reactions: Gonzo

acody

Nov 25, 2006
My wife and I are planning to build a new home and are looking for advice to save money on this process. So many new builds in Iowa are going for $200/square foot and that is entirely out of our price range.

We don’t need/want anything fancy at all—-1500-1700 total square footage with 3BR, 2.5BA with 2 car garage, standard cabinets, and a partially finished basement. Any tips, tricks, things to keep in mind to cut costs?

I know the house description is vague, but we are in the beginning stages of this process and want to eliminate things from the get go if it’s going to jack up the price.

DBQR4CY

Jun 7, 2013
Ankeny(By way of Dubuque)
We built our home in 2003-2004. We have a 3 car garage and it could be bigger. Our garage doors are 16' and 8' definitely would do 18'-20' and 9'-10' looking back on it. Our driveway to the road is 100' roughly by 16'. Would go wider if we could do it over minimum 18'. Yes insulate garage and insulated garage doors. Have the garage floor coated before you move in. Yes on composite roof and deck material. Get good windows Anderson, Pella or Windsor with best available Low E. You want the IG units made by Cardinal best warranty by far. Ceiling height 9' basement, main floor 9' or 10'. Master definitely on main floor. Good wood flooring on main level and stairs if you have a 2nd floor same to basement. Give yourself some room on your electrical box or have 2. Water softener a must.

Don't do Anderson. Wow, I just had Renewal by Anderson over to give a quote for replacing up to 8 of our windows (4 need to be replaced for sure) and while they have their own crews the cost is absurd. They have to install the windows for warranty and that's fine. If my house had hardy board siding and not 20 year old vinyl and 16' off the ground I'd be doing the the windows myself. I have a table saw, miter saw, hand saw, and finish nailer but the salesman claimed they do the trim around the windows (which are currently just drywall) and the cost for the 8 windows was $22,000! Are you kidding me? I kept a straight face when he told me that. It was $9,000 for the 4 bedroom windows if we just did those. They were the plainest of windows they offered. $2,250 per window? Get out of here. At that total cost its pretty much 1/8 of what we paid for our home in 2015. I took it that while their product is nice, they're selling to people who have no clue about window installation and no clue as to how much it should cost to replace windows. We went through this once before with Bath Fitters. We have installed a 3/4 bath in our basement at our first home. It was from start to finish, nothing was stubbed previously and cost us around $3,000. We did nearly all the work ourselves. Bath Fitter wanted $6,000 for the tub overlay and the new surround. Lol, seriously? We could have gutting main floor bath to the studs and sub-flooring, put in mid-level finishes and still be ahead at least, at least $1,000 from that quote.

• Wow
Reactions: chadly82

DBQR4CY

Jun 7, 2013
If you have experience from doing at lot of house work from your current home, then see what the builder would let you do on your own. A good miter saw and nailer you should be able to do all door and trim install. Do all your own light fixture installs. Painting is easy. If you're not doing vinyl siding then putting in your own windows could be a savings as well. Windows are not that hard. Insulate the garage and think about having a drain. Pull into the garage in winter and all the snow melts and needs a place to go. I really don't like having to push water out onto the driveway after every snow. The garage you could drywall yourself to finish because its the garage, it doesn't have to look the best or just hang a decent plywood up. To keep the overall cost down, have you considered a 2 story or at least a 1.5 story with main bedroom on first floor? It's cheaper to build up than dig and pour a bigger basement.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Don't do Anderson. Wow, I just had Renewal by Anderson over to give a quote for replacing up to 8 of our windows (4 need to be replaced for sure) and while they have their own crews the cost is absurd. They have to install the windows for warranty and that's fine. If my house had hardy board siding and not 20 year old vinyl and 16' off the ground I'd be doing the the windows myself. I have a table saw, miter saw, hand saw, and finish nailer but the salesman claimed they do the trim around the windows (which are currently just drywall) and the cost for the 8 windows was $22,000! Are you kidding me? I kept a straight face when he told me that. It was $9,000 for the 4 bedroom windows if we just did those. They were the plainest of windows they offered. $2,250 per window? Get out of here. At that total cost its pretty much 1/8 of what we paid for our home in 2015. I took it that while their product is nice, they're selling to people who have no clue about window installation and no clue as to how much it should cost to replace windows. We went through this once before with Bath Fitters. We have installed a 3/4 bath in our basement at our first home. It was from start to finish, nothing was stubbed previously and cost us around $3,000. We did nearly all the work ourselves. Bath Fitter wanted $6,000 for the tub overlay and the new surround. Lol, seriously? We could have gutting main floor bath to the studs and sub-flooring, put in mid-level finishes and still be ahead at least, at least $1,000 from that quote.
Same experience with Andersen. We all know they are a quality product but the renewal prices are insane.

DBQR4CY

Jun 7, 2013
Same experience with Andersen. We all know they are a quality product but the renewal prices are insane.

Yes! I see their reviews online and I'd like to know did the consumers check else where? I mean, $2000+ per window is insane. That was for white/white vinyl, standard hardware, and no grills. The most basic window. The sales guy (who was nice and knowledgeable) asked what I was thinking for a price, I told him window plus install for the 4 bedrooms would be $1,000 each (and that't on the high side). I had one installer just give me ballpark on labor per window and he said it averages about $350. I said if he had to be on ladders it goes up (that's understandable). Who knows, I want to avoid doing it myself but I may have to do just that.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
Just an FYI on the window discussion - my friend in construction swears up and down that Marvin windows are the way to go right now. I have no idea on price or anything but he said that's all he puts in anymore for new construction and replacement.

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston
Just an FYI on the window discussion - my friend in construction swears up and down that Marvin windows are the way to go right now. I have no idea on price or anything but he said that's all he puts in anymore for new construction and replacement.
Is your friend’s name Marvin?

• Haha
Reactions: ajspatio19

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
BTW, buy a couple dehumidifiers. Will need to let those babies run non stop. drill a small hole in the buckets and put them over the drains. The sheetrock, paint, mud and everything will make it very humid in the house and could destroy any windows if you go with wood (we did).
Most have a hose attachment to run to a drain

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I see that this thread is from three years ago, but the tips for building a new home on a budget remain relevant. Whether it's a current discussion or an older one, saving money during the home-building process is always a valuable consideration.
Nice try, SARUMAN!

Reactions: CascadeClone

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
I see that this thread is from three years ago, but the tips for building a new home on a budget remain relevant. Whether it's a current discussion or an older one, saving money during the home-building process is always a valuable consideration. If you're interested in outdoor structures like equestrian stables, you can explore ideas at https://www.scottsofthrapston.co.uk/equestrian-buildings-accessories/. They might provide inspiration for your project. If you have any specific questions or need updated information, feel free to ask. Building your home is a significant undertaking, and I'm here to help with any advice or guidance you may need, regardless of the thread's age.
Sir, this is 'Merica. I'm not clicking that .co.uk link.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
I see that this thread is from three years ago, but the tips for building a new home on a budget remain relevant. Whether it's a current discussion or an older one, saving money during the home-building process is always a valuable consideration. If you're interested in outdoor structures like equestrian stables, you can explore ideas at https://www.scottsofthrapston.co.uk/equestrian-buildings-accessories/. They might provide inspiration for your project. If you have any specific questions or need updated information, feel free to ask. Building your home is a significant undertaking, and I'm here to help with any advice or guidance you may need, regardless of the thread's age.
I see that this thread is from three years ago, but the tips for growing a bigger penis remain relevant. Whether its a current discussion or an older one, having a bigger penis is always a valuable consideration. If you're interested in a larger main vein, you can explore remedies at https:///www.growabiggershaft.co.uk/biggestdickaward-hugeschlong-bighogger/. This could provide inspiration for your big wang. If you have specific questions or need updated information, feel free to ask. Trying to grow a bigger tallywhacker is a significant undertaking, and I'm here to help with any advice or guidance you may need, regardless of the threads age.

jackrabbit

Dec 2, 2006
Here is what I see from appraising houses. Things that don't pay for themselves in resales I see.

Solid countertops: as long as you don't go very cheap, the nicer formica countertops will be fine. Unless you have a VERY well put together home, the granite, corian, and even quartz countertops don't return the extra you paid for them.

Cabinets: don't go cheap, but most people don't pay extra money for soft close drawers or full oak cabinets. Get good middle line cabinets that are more timeless. When you go to sell, spend a couple hundred dollars on hardware and people will think you upgraded the cabinets (no joke).

Baths: Have a master bath (a master walk in closet also, people really want them). DO NOT get the stupidest thing everyone always gets and then after a couple years tears it out or when we ask them how often they used it, they say a couple times. That is the king of waste, a jacuzzi or jetted tub. Waste waste waste.

Kitchens and baths are what sell a home on the inside.

Siding: Don't go cheap. If you think you may sell it, find a good quality and grade siding and do some stone or brick work to offset it. It makes it pop. Also spend money on shingles.

Don't finish your whole basement, 1-2 bedrooms and a bath for them will suffice and most want either guest space, office space, or bedrooms for extra kids.

A third garage space may pay for itself, I would make that the last thing I would cut.

Flooring: Avoid true hardwoods, people dont want the upkeep. The current rage is vinyl designer planks. We had vinyl and they laid the plank right on top (with a padding between) so it gives options for what you want later on. Go a neutral carpet, the wall painting (easiest spot to save money to do yourself) is easy to change and people almost always replace carpet when they move in.

A couple things I've seen that do and don't pay for themselves.
Question on home appraisals and renovations: In the primary bath, I have a 5 piece (2 sinks, toilet, shower and tub). The tub never gets used. Does it make appraisal/financial sense to switch the tub to a modern deluxe shower and then either have the current shower be switched to a linen closet or expand the his and her sinks to include a makeup station?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Question on home appraisals and renovations: In the primary bath, I have a 5 piece (2 sinks, toilet, shower and tub). The tub never gets used. Does it make appraisal/financial sense to switch the tub to a modern deluxe shower and then either have the current shower be switched to a linen closet or expand the his and her sinks to include a makeup station?
How updated is the rest of the house?

CyPhallus

Oct 19, 2021
What in the hell is a makeup station? Is this some kind of California ********?

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
What in the hell is a makeup station? Is this some kind of California ********?
I actually had this custom when I built my home. Pretty simple especially for those who have wives that want more counter space and drawers than they are already allowed

jackrabbit

Dec 2, 2006
How updated is the rest of the house?
It is a 10 year old townhome. Kitchen has granite counters. Kitchen appliances are from date of construction. Custom built kitchen cabinets. 'Wood' tile floors everywhere except bedrooms that have carpet. Have thought about switching out the tile floors since they are dark brown to a lighter brighter color.

DarkStar

Sep 15, 2009
Omaha
It's your home. Do what would make the house a more enjoyable place for you to live.

If you are looking for an investment, there are much better investment options available than renovating your bathroom.