TJ’s game management

CyclonePigskin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 28, 2010
DSM
I thought TJ’s half-time comments last night would be compelling to any potential recruits. His clarity and focus in laying out the character of the team he recruits and coaches seemed compelling. No window dressing, just telling what he demands and gets: intense, focused play on both ends, and a never let up attitude.

His game management stood out: offensive sets, handling of the press and in-bounds situations, intensity of switching defenses, and especially player rotations. Kunc played 33 minutes; the other bigs had 15 fouls to give over 47 minutes and did a good job countering and even besting Carolina’s vaunted bigs. Grill led all with 38 minutes on the court, obviously with his offensive explosion, and again with stellar D. Holmes was a steady leader at both ends in 29 minutes, Lipsey continued to show maturity above his age, Kalscheur contributed as a ball handler and scoring threat NC had to acknowledge, and with outstanding D. The two steals from Bacot by Kalscheur and Jones in the final two minutes were beautiful demonstrations of Otzelberger ball.

Edit: Jones has sneaky quick hands, and physically, clearly backs down from no one - actually an attitude characteristic of the whole team.

Will be interesting to see how the rotation changes after Tre King becomes eligible on December 18th. Current YTD minutes played, Grill leads among guards with 32.6 pg, then Holmes 31.2 pg, Kalscheur 25 pg, Lipsey 24 pg and Watson 11.4. In the posts, Kunc averages 29.4 minutes pg, Osunniyi 18.6 pg, Jones 17.4 pg and Ward 12.4. Eli King and Hawley have negligible minutes in clean up time.

Last edited:

Nelcyn

Nov 29, 2012
Colorado
I think for now they have solved their full court press problem from last year. They have guard action to the ball first which he is usually covered then a 4 or 5 that gets the ball and either takes it up or hands off back to the guard. Seems to be working. I think Lipsey had a few episodes but was a good learning experience for him.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I thought TJ’s half-time comments last night would be compelling to any potential recruits. His clarity and focus in laying out the character of the team he recruits and coaches seemed compelling. No window dressing, just telling what he demands and gets: intense, focused play on both ends, and a never let up attitude.

His game management stood out: offensive sets, handling of the press and in-bounds situations, intensity of switching defenses, and especially player rotations. Kunc played 33 minutes; the other bigs had 15 fouls to give over 47 minutes and did a good job countering and even besting Carolina’s vaunted bigs. Grill led all with 38 minutes on the court, obviously with his offensive explosion, and again with stellar D. Holmes was a steady leader at both ends in 29 minutes, Lipsey continued to show maturity above his age, Kalscheur contributed as a ball handler and scoring threat NC had to acknowledge, and with outstanding D. The two steals from Bacot by Kalscheur and Jones in the final two minutes were beautiful demonstrations of Otzelberger ball.

Edit: Jones has sneaky quick hands, and physically, clearly backs down from no one - actually an attitude characteristic of the whole team.

Will be interesting to see how the rotation changes after Tre King becomes eligible on December 18th. Current YTD minutes played, Grill leads among guards with 32.6 pg, then Holmes 31.2 pg, Kalscheur 25 pg, Lipsey 24 pg and Watson 11.4. In the posts, Kunc averages 29.4 minutes pg, Osunniyi 18.6 pg, Jones 17.4 pg and Ward 12.4. Eli King and Hawley have negligible minutes in clean up time.
If Tre can play defense in space, it would be great if he can give minutes at the 3 or 4. A lot will depend on his ability to hit jumpers.

It would also be nice to get Hasan more minutes because he seems to make things happen. But not sure where minutes would come from- Kunc? I think Jones is getting a lot more minutes than most expected- but he has a unique skill set among out posts.

NENick

Feb 14, 2017
Ward doesn't look quite ready, offensively, except as an offensive rebounder and ally-oop recipient. But he is really disruptive, defensively. I'm guessing 10-12 minutes, mostly spelling Kunc.

If T.King is as good as several on here say, added offense with no defensive drop-off, I would think Ward's minutes go down.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
If Tre can play defense in space, it would be great if he can give minutes at the 3 or 4. A lot will depend on his ability to hit jumpers.

It would also be nice to get Hasan more minutes because he seems to make things happen. But not sure where minutes would come from- Kunc? I think Jones is getting a lot more minutes than most expected- but he has a unique skill set among out posts.
Ward almost had multiple huge plays that ended up basically being turnovers instead. He might be a real nice piece when he gets the chemistry with the rest of the guys down.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
I think for now they have solved their full court press problem from last year. They have guard action to the ball first which he is usually covered then a 4 or 5 that gets the ball and either takes it up or hands off back to the guard. Seems to be working. I think Lipsey had a few episodes but was a good learning experience for him.
Thought that was nice too. Very controlled way to break any type of pressure. Nice Kunc has the handles he's got. He doesn't get enough credit for what he means to the team.

Reactions: CyclonePigskin

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I like when they put Jaz at center court during our press. Makes it hard for the smaller guards to pass out of the traps.

Reactions: CyNews

kurimski

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
When will Tre King be allowed to play? When will his 1st game be?

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Ward almost had multiple huge plays that ended up basically being turnovers instead. He might be a real nice piece when he gets the chemistry with the rest of the guys down.
I'm almost always excited to see him hit the floor. Does everything well except score, and is really disruptive for the other team.

Reactions: CycloneErik

MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006
I like when they put Jaz at center court during our press. Makes it hard for the smaller guards to pass out of the traps.
He is on top of a 1-3-1 half-court zone. Used to force the ball to one side of the floor.

The Cyclones really work, on D, to get the ball in to the post or post-corner. Double teams flow hard then. Back side double on the post is fundamental. Then fly out to rotation passes, 3 looks.

"We have given you something, can you take advantage of it?"

Very aggressive,....I like it. 1669528229939.png

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
CW put it perfectly when he said North Carolina just looked annoyed out there the whole game. In fact, hasn't that been our trademark over the past couple years in every game we play? Sure, we might not be as talented on offense as many of the teams we play, but we are going to annoy the crap out of you by playing relentlessly harder than you. That tactic annoys and beats the opposition just as much at the D1 college level as it does at your local YMCA open gym.

As or records attest, I believe this tactic works exceptionally well in these early season games when the opposition have yet to fully gel as a team yet. While we let them try to work out their chemistry issues, effort doesn't have anything to work out consistently year round.

Williowa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2016
So what did they do on their day off? Watch a little game tape? Shoot free throws? Go practice as hard as they ever do?