TJ best coach we have ever had?

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Are we talking about all ISU sports, or just basketball?

I love what's he doing so far, but personally I would still have to give the edge right now to LE. Two straight regular season conference championships and an Elite Eight.

Granted, his fall (along with that of the program he led) was swift and steep, but those two years (besides the end of the second season) still hold a special place in my heart.

TJ, so far though, is right up there, especially in proportion to where he started with a 2-win program.

I'm at the point right now where I would be very disappointed if he doesn't win Big 12 Coach of the Year. Kelvin Sampson should get his fair share of credit for Houston being as great as they are, but they were also just as great last season and were expected to be this good. We were not.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
Certainly post-Johnny he is. TJ might even surpass Johnny as both inherited losing programs. I’ll give the edge to Johnny as his inheritance was decades old.

And it is much easier to rebuild today with the transfer portal then what Johnny had.

Although taking a team from that was 2-22 the year before and making the NCAA tournament is one of the greatest coaching accomplishments in all of sports that isn't recognized enough.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Tough to top Orr… unless TJ takes us to a Final Four this year. Sure, TJ resurrected a program that Prohm killed, but Orr built a program that barely existed before his arrival.

I was going to say Eustschy, but then realized outside of 1999-2001 he actually didn’t do a whole lot outside of party with coeds.

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013
The furthest back I can remember was Maury John. He may have been great had he been able to be here longer. Johnny put the program on the map and established Hilton as a tough place to play. As someone else posted Larry E had two regular season titles and an Elite Eight. Freddy has the highest winning percentage. In my opinion, I'd put Otz behind Johnny right now but probably only because it's only his third year. If he's able to build on what he's started another two or three years, then we can talk greatest.

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
It's too early in his career to make that judgement.

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013
And it is much easier to rebuild today with the transfer portal then what Johnny had.
But it takes a pretty good coach to sort through potential transfers and bring in guys that fit the program and then get them to accept their roles and play as a team. Not everyone is willing or able to play with the defensive intensity Otz demands.

Reactions: Cy4Lifer

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
Would have been interesting if LE didn't have his other issues what he could have accomplished
He was the only coach ISU had that actually assembled a roster that could win it all and was underseeded in the tourney as a 2.

Like this team..They are better than the previous 2 TJ teams offensively. I know its like say they are the tallest dwarf, but they do have guys who can hit shots more consistently than in the past.

Its hard to compare because the transfer portal can help for a rapid rebuild, though at the same time it can torpedo you with an unexpected transfer

• Agree
Reactions: CYdTracked

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Tough to top Orr… unless TJ takes us to a Final Four this year. Sure, TJ resurrected a program that Prohm killed, but Orr built a program that barely existed before his arrival.

I was going to say Eustschy, but then realized outside of 1999-2001 he actually didn’t do a whole lot outside of party with coeds.

If not for the alcoholism, i think he would have had an upswing with the players that were coming in that Wayne Morgan ended up coaching.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Would have been interesting if LE didn't have his other issues what he could have accomplished
He was the only coach ISU had that actually assembled a roster that could win it all and was underseeded in the tourney as a 2.

Like this team..They are better than the previous 2 TJ teams offensively.

Its hard to compare because the transfer portal can help for a rapid rebuild, though at the same time it can torpedo you with an unexpected transfer

Larry had Curtis Stinson and Blaylock coming in. I think their freshman year would have been better if he was coaching