To fellow bicyclists: pet peeves

alaskaguy

Apr 11, 2006
Has anyone seen a huge increase in the amount of people biking on paved county roads outside of small towns? It seems in my area that the cool thing to do is ride your bike in the country on the paved county roads where the speed of traffic is 55MPH and there is a lot of big farm equipment moving in the spring and fall.

That just seems insanely idiotic when there are two paved 12 mile bike trails in the area, but maybe thats just me.
I bicycle regularly on county roads. In fact, I live off of a county road so every time I leave my house on my bicycle I am cycling on a county road. However, I am cycling in Colorado and most of our county roads are gravel as opposed to gravel.

But to reply to many of the posts on this thread bicycles BELONG ON THE ROAD. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean they don't. The rules they follow mimic the rules for car traffic, they should obey traffic signs, stay right except to pass, and use signals. The sidewalk is for running, walking, kids playing hopscotch.

CykoAGR

Dec 16, 2008
Waukee, IA
Please see my post #18. Traffic crossing the sidewalk is often more dangerous than the traffic that is moving along with you on the street. I have had many more close calls with traffic crossing the sidewalk/bikepath not looking for bikes than I have had moving with traffic. You have to use reason and go with what is safest in each situation.

This is spot on.

I'm a cyclist and although relatively new to the sport I love it.

I pretty much avoid riding in the city at all costs, too dangerous. I live in waukee and have the Racoon and Greenbelt trails within a few miles. If I get sick of these I will haul my bike to a trail head and ride another trail.

Motorists do NOT pay attention to pedestrians/bikers at all. To many people on the phone or messing with the radio etc. We had a friend get hit while on the SIDEWALK and Merle Hay and Pioneer Parkway, they guy was making a right turn and pulled all the way through where the sidewalk crosses the intersection. Luckily it ended with only a broken leg but could have been much worse. This is an incident where if she had been riding on the street this wouldnt have happened because that person would have been watching the traffic but riding on a busy street like MH is not smart.

I understand that cyclists are afforded the same rights as motorists and that they are expected to follow the same traffic laws. IMHO it is not worth riding on a BUSY street just because I am allowed to do it, too risky. I would rather ride on a WIDE sidewalk and have to watch out for crossing traffic and share it with pedestrians than run the risk of getting plowed on the street just to prove that I have the same rights as motorists.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Basketball was originally played with a peach basket...who cares. All I know is most people are taught how to signal with their left hand.
My kids have been to school in 4 different states. Every year at their elementary school in each state,they have bicycle safety day....Guess what they are taught...hand signals. 4 states 6 different elentary schools and all of them taught the hand signals we are talking about. Not to mention drivers education down the road. And of course, the kids come home and show thier parents.
Just saying. I will stick with what most people are taught at the current time in this country.

Great. We are not asking you to change. The thread was started by someone who was telling everyone to change to his way of doing it. That is the difference.

You think your way is best because that is what everyone is taught. I think my way is best because it clearly shows my intent even to someone who doesn't know or care about bicycle signals. I'm not asking you to change.

I even point nearly straight ahead when I am veering right from a curb lane to a parallel bike path. This lets the car on the side road know I am coming his way but will still be passing in front of him. A right hand turn signal would be a disaster here.

CykoAGR

Dec 16, 2008
Waukee, IA
I hate when I'm running or walking around Ada Hayden and a bicyclists yells at me from behind;

"On your left."

I know people are stupid but shouldn't there be a maximum age to people you yell this to?

Most people would rather have someone yell "on your left" than have a cyclist sneek up behind them going 20mph and then that person steps out in front of them. If I was you I would rather be warned than end up with a bike up my ***.

My guess is that you are one of those people who walks 3-4 wide on a trail taking up the whole thing.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I hate when I'm running or walking around Ada Hayden and a bicyclists yells at me from behind;

"On your left."

I know people are stupid but shouldn't there be a maximum age to people you yell this to?

This is a courtesy to you so you know to maintain your line and don't get hit. Most people now wear earbuds while running or walking so they have little chance of hearing the approaching bike if you don't call out.

HoopKnowledge

Nov 1, 2006
I used a couple of hand signals when riding my biker earlier today and a car came off ramp and failed to see the GIANT RECTANGLE SIGN that read YIELD!!

iahawkhunter

Apr 17, 2010
Huxley, IA
Basketball was originally played with a peach basket...who cares. All I know is most people are taught how to signal with their left hand.
My kids have been to school in 4 different states. Every year at their elementary school in each state,they have bicycle safety day....Guess what they are taught...hand signals. 4 states 6 different elentary schools and all of them taught the hand signals we are talking about. Not to mention drivers education down the road. And of course, the kids come home and show thier parents.
Just saying. I will stick with what most people are taught at the current time in this country.

Fair enough that the original signals don't have a bearing on what is deemed correct now. But the question remains as to why you thought driving on the left or the right side of the road was relevant.

I have also been taught numerous times in school to use the left hand to signal when riding. However, I must agree with earlier posts that it is much easier to communicate if I signal a right turn with my right arm. That way I essentially point where I'm going and don't leave it up to a driver's interpretation (is that a wave of a signal?). I don't know if Iowa has an exception to the Uniform Vehicle Code, but the UVC allows signals with both hands and it is typical for states and municipalities to follow the UVC (Hand signals - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).

HtownCyclone

Apr 25, 2009
Houston, TX

"On your left."

Nope, from what I have seen not inluding those under 16 who are daydreaming all the time, anyone over 40 is to busy smelling the roses to notice what is going around and rarley move to the side on there own no matter how much extra noise I make comming up to them

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
Wrong again. Actually only a handful of countries drive on the left side of the road - the UK, Austrailia and a few others. Most of them drive on the right just like us.

Try reading my reasoning before you make assumptions about trying to be European.
1) What does Europe have to do with anything. I made that smart alleck comment because I don't think it applies to what is common in the US. If we were talking about riding a bike in Europe then great... but we aren't.
2) Saw your other reasoning and I don't buy it. Kids are taught in elementary school how to use hand signals so I feel it is common knowledge. This knowledge is then supported when they take drivers education (if they take it). I guess if my grandpa was driving he might not get it but then again, he won't see any hand signal.

You point to the right with your right hand an I might wonder what you are pointing at instead of thinking you are turning. Also, your right hand usually applies your back brakes. You may want that hand on the brake in case you need to brake quickly. Otherwise, I guess you could brake with your left hand it should allow great control of the bike. Particularly if you are flying over the handlebars.

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA

"On your left."

what would be more appropriate?

I like people saying "on your left" a heck of a lot better than the ones that just ring their bell. Yes, it is possible to road rage on a bike - and a thousand little bells is the leading cause.

chewbocka

Nov 25, 2009

"On your left."

It says on the signs up there that you should do that, though very few people actually do. I sometimes go out there and rollerblade with my dog so I don't always hear you coming. Plus it's just nice to know that there's someone passing you so you don't get in their way.

My pet peeve is bikers on campus who blow through stop signs. I see it all the time at the intersection by the armory. I've almost been nailed a few times there, by cars too.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Fair enough that the original signals don't have a bearing on what is deemed correct now. But the question remains as to why you thought driving on the left or the right side of the road was relevant.

I have also been taught numerous times in school to use the left hand to signal when riding. However, I must agree with earlier posts that it is much easier to communicate if I signal a right turn with my right arm. That way I essentially point where I'm going and don't leave it up to a driver's interpretation (is that a wave of a signal?). I don't know if Iowa has an exception to the Uniform Vehicle Code, but the UVC allows signals with both hands and it is typical for states and municipalities to follow the UVC (Hand signals - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).

Iowa DOT http://www.iowadot.gov/bicycle/437.pdf Appears to me that the left hand signals are state law.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006

I don't. It was a sarcastic way of saying what happens in Europe doesn't really have a bearing on what happens here or what the common signals are here and it is as relevant as which side a car drives on. The sarcasm should have been apparent due to the :jimlad: that I used following the sentence. I guess not. Sorry.

Again, I have lived in many different states and my kids were all taught the same. Not sure what is law. As I pointed out to someone else, if I am turning then I am probably slowing down. I prefer to brake with my rear brake as it offers more control. Particularly if something happens and I have to stop quickly.

Also, I make my hand signals with a closed fist. It removes the "is he waving or not" question. If we could get everyone signaling the same way then maybe it would be more acceptable and more people would do it.

Last edited:

iahawkhunter

Apr 17, 2010
Huxley, IA
Iowa DOT http://www.iowadot.gov/bicycle/437.pdf Appears to me that the left hand signals are state law.

Thanks for the link. The only stated requirement is to signal, with neither hand explicitly stated (the picture could definitely be interpreted as looking at the figure from either the front or the back...although in both cases the "Right turn" appears to involve flipping off those around you :wink:)

Based on your link I would consider either hand to be legally acceptable since the text simply says, "Use hand signals to advise other vehicle operators of your intention to turn, change lanes or stop." It doesn't even say that the signals must be the ones shown in that document, just that you must use signals to communicate your intentions.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

I believe you are correct:

321.318 Method of giving hand and arm signals.
All signals herein required which may be given by hand and arm shall when so given be given from the left side of the vehicle and the following manner and interpretation thereof is suggested:
1. Left turn - Hand and arm extended horizontally.
2. Right turn - Hand and arm extended upward.
3. Stop or decrease of speed - Hand and arm extended downward.

Despite the code saying a human powered vehicle is not a vehicle by definition in the code, it also says that bicycle riders have all the duties and responsibilities of vehicle operators.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I tend to just point the direction that I am going to turn. I know these signals, but most drivers have no clue what they mean. It is a lot clearer if i just point left with my left arm and right with my right. Also, I point to a place on the ground in the next lane if I am changing lanes.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
I tend to just point the direction that I am going to turn. I know these signals, but most drivers have no clue what they mean. It is a lot clearer if i just point left with my left arm and right with my right. Also, I point to a place on the ground in the next lane if I am changing lanes.
Couldnt disagree more. but even if I did...maybe, just maybe if everyone used the same signals people would get used to them and understand them.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
This

Not to start yet ANOTHER bicycle/car thread.. but Bikes are traffic they belong on the roads not on sidewalks with pedestrians. That being said if there are trails use them, only a crazy person would ride on Grand or South Duff.:eek:

I encounter riders everyday in the Eater Lake area that ride against traffic.
Not exactly sure what these morons expect you to do when they refuse to yield
and cars are coming from the other direction? I've been stopping and get that
"oh, sorry had my head up my @## look"! I going to start pulling half way off the road so they'll have to stop as well.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
I figure half the people on the road have no business being behind the wheel. So if they don't like the fact that I'm riding on a road ... I suppose we're even.

Reactions: alaskaguy

Help Support Us

Become a patron