Todd McShay taken off air during Wisconsin-Northwestern game

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Yikes, definitely different. For anyone who doesn't see it as an issue, go back and watch a typical McShay piece. He's normally very articulate and energetic. Hopefully he's ok but I don't think I'd put him back on the road this year.

• Agree
Reactions: HitItHard58

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
I've had the migraine aura since high school...5-10 per year...but never any headache pain. I may have had them earlier but I don't remember. Mine last about 25-30 minutes. They start with a very small blurry spot that gradually expands to multiple zig-zaggies across my entire vision field, and then it all just vanishes and is instantly back to normal. I find that if I take an ibuprofen when I first sense the small blindspot, the aura often stop after 10-15 minutes.
I get those too, but only about once a year. Rarely comes with a headache, but they usually make me nauseous. A couple times it numbed part of my face and one hand too. Scared the crap out of me the first time that happened. I usually feel hung over for most of the day afterward.

Reactions: ISC

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
I get those too, but only about once a year. Rarely comes with a headache, but they usually make me nauseous. A couple times it numbed part of my face and one hand too. Scared the crap out of me the first time that happened. I usually feel hung over for most of the day afterward.
I didn't know other people had these lol. Almost the exact same thing happens to me and it's pretty much been once a year since about 7th grade. I've gotten pretty good at sensing when it's coming on and if I'm able, if I lay down and take a nap right away I'll wake up and feel fine. Always starts with blurry vision, spots/zigzags, headache, and ends with me vomiting. I've never noticed part of my face or hand being numb though

Reactions: ISC and isutrevman

Nothingman

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 31, 2006
I didn't know other people had these lol. Almost the exact same thing happens to me and it's pretty much been once a year since about 7th grade. I've gotten pretty good at sensing when it's coming on and if I'm able, if I lay down and take a nap right away I'll wake up and feel fine. Always starts with blurry vision, spots/zigzags, headache, and ends with me vomiting. I've never noticed part of my face or hand being numb though
I’m pretty similar. They started when I was 18. Usually the visual stuff comes first and gets worse. I do get a bit numb in the arms and legs and sometimes face. I take ibuprofen and try to sleep. Usually feel a lot better after sleep but still have a minor headache for a day or two.

I used to get them weekly in my mid 20’s but now at 40 I only get two or three a year. I’ve had some hit hard and fast and those can be a problem if at work or driving but otherwise not much of a problem anymore. That was the first thing I thought of when watching that video of McShay.

Reactions: isutrevman

Sighclone Fan

Jan 19, 2008
I’m pretty similar. They started when I was 18. Usually the visual stuff comes first and gets worse. I do get a bit numb in the arms and legs and sometimes face. I take ibuprofen and try to sleep. Usually feel a lot better after sleep but still have a minor headache for a day or two.

I used to get them weekly in my mid 20’s but now at 40 I only get two or three a year. I’ve had some hit hard and fast and those can be a problem if at work or driving but otherwise not much of a problem anymore. That was the first thing I thought of when watching that video of McShay.

What do you do if you're driving and sense it's coming?

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Honestly you should probably pull over and wait for your vision to clear up. It's only happened to me once while driving and I was about 3 minutes from my house when it came on so I made it home. If I was further away I would have stopped for sure. For me, the blurry spot moves around. It starts in the corner of my vision and migrates to the center then leaves the opposite direction. So when it's in the middle of my visual field, it would be scary to drive. Usually comes and goes in about 15-20 minutes.

I've never "sensed it coming" either. The first thing I notice is either a blind spot or a small blurry spot in my peripheral. No warning before hand. I started to chart every time it happened. Wrote down what I ate that day, and maybe the night before and how I slept, what I did that day etc. to find a pattern. It happens so rarely to me though (about once a year) that I haven't found any "trigger" yet. Any have any luck figuring out a possible cause for theirs?

• Informative
Reactions: Sighclone Fan

Nothingman

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 31, 2006
Honestly you should probably pull over and wait for your vision to clear up. It's only happened to me once while driving and I was about 3 minutes from my house when it came on so I made it home. If I was further away I would have stopped for sure. For me, the blurry spot moves around. It starts in the corner of my vision and migrates to the center then leaves the opposite direction. So when it's in the middle of my visual field, it would be scary to drive. Usually comes and goes in about 15-20 minutes.

I've never "sensed it coming" either. The first thing I notice is either a blind spot or a small blurry spot in my peripheral. No warning before hand. I started to chart every time it happened. Wrote down what I ate that day, and maybe the night before and how I slept, what I did that day etc. to find a pattern. It happens so rarely to me though (about once a year) that I haven't found any "trigger" yet. Any have any luck figuring out a possible cause for theirs?

It’s only started while driving twice and I made it home fine. I usually have 20-30 minutes from start to getting really bad. I’d find a spot to pull over if I couldn’t make it.

My triggers are stress, a lack of sleep, and staring at a screen for too long. I manage stress better, get more sleep, and don’t play video games like I did in my 20’s.

Reactions: isutrevman

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I've had the migraine aura since high school...5-10 per year...but never any headache pain. I may have had them earlier but I don't remember. Mine last about 25-30 minutes. They start with a very small blurry spot that gradually expands to multiple zig-zaggies across my entire vision field, and then it all just vanishes and is instantly back to normal. I find that if I take an ibuprofen when I first sense the small blindspot, the aura often stop after 10-15 minutes.

But no associated headache pain? CRAP that has to be confusing and concerning when it happens....

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
But no associated headache pain? CRAP that has to be confusing and concerning when it happens....
No headache pain. I have several friends who experience the migraine aura without headache pain as well. As someone above mentioned, more people than one might expect seem to experience this "ailment". I've had it for over 40 years...it always came and went away, so I guess that I learned not to get too bothered by it. When you are young, you often don't get concerned about things that maybe should concern you. For many years, I thought it was some kind of dietary thing, where I hadn't eaten properly. About 20 years ago I told my doctor about it and he told me what was going on.

ISC

Oct 15, 2009
Iowa

I've pulled over and had family come pick me up before. But, like others, I'm really good at catching them early (you can "feel" them coming) and getting home before they are bad enough to impact driving. As soon as I feel that "tingle", i pop an ibuprofen and an excedrin migraine and try to get to a place where it's quiet and can close my eyes for about a half hour or so. About half of the time this does well enough i could work through it even. Other half of the time, i rush home and get in bed and prepare to have 2-3 days off work.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I usually see bubbles - first time I got, I saw bubbles and then the left eye started to get blurry. Even lost my ability to speak and read and I thought I had a stroke. Ended up in urgent care and ER including having to have CAT Scan / MRI (don’t remember which one). The doctors confirmed it was a bad migraine and usually the first one strikes really bad.

Yup. Was watching ISU football on TV with a buddy in my living room. Thought I was having a stroke. Had him take me to ER. Did a scan and diagnosed visual disruption or ocular migraine. Subsequent one haven't been nearly as bad or extreme and are generally over with in around 30 minutes. Hope I don't get one while driving. I'd have enough time to pull over while I could still see but if a cop stopped they would probably arrest me. "Walk a line" "I can't. Can't see because of ocular migraine." " Sure, buddy, I'm taking you in.".

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
My dad had Epilepsy. He could feel his grand mal seizures coming on in time to pull over if he was driving. It was kept in check with medication but if he failed to take it more than one day he was at risk of having them again.