Tom Brands

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
You can go to hawkeyereport.com boards and you won't see any of this sort of these classless remarks towards ISU.

Really? It took me about 30 seconds to find this gem:

"Varner continues to be a huge jag-bag. I'll bet the Iowa bench was really intimidated watching him major our back-up wrestler. All the while the meet is in the bag for the Hawks, but he still feels he needs to "stare down" the Iowa bench. What a toolbox, grow up Jake Varner."

CyPride

Oct 12, 2008
Cael has done a lot to improve this program. He is also learning as he goes. When he took over the program was ok, but not close to where it is today. Cael needs time, to get his kids to ISU. He also didnt have the advantage of merging 2 programs into 1. When a coach is hired to improve a program most of them are going to have to make tough decisions when it come to who should be on the team and who shouldnt. I do feel sorry for kids that do get cut but each coach likes a different style

Just to be fair, Iowa beat our team without a 'merged team' as the VT transfers had to sit out one year.

This thread really makes us look like sour grapes, honestly.

Don't we have a transfer or two?

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
Yes, the old "if he was on your team you would support him" argument gets old. A pos is a pos. I wouldn't support such a person if they were a Cyclone. Having said that, I know of no such person coaching a Cyclone team.

I have met quite a few of the coaches at ISU, and spoken to Pollard a couple of times. The guy thinks family first. He would not hire any coach that he would not trust sending one of his children to play for. Go to a tailgate next year, and chat with any of the ISU coaches. I was very surprised at how many class individuals we have coaching at ISU, and how polite the student-athletes seemed to be.

IAChedda

Dec 7, 2008
I have met quite a few of the coaches at ISU, and spoken to Pollard a couple of times. The guy thinks family first. He would not hire any coach that he would not trust sending one of his children to play for. Go to a tailgate next year, and chat with any of the ISU coaches. I was very surprised at how many class individuals we have coaching at ISU, and how polite the student-athletes seemed to be.

Until you go to a tailgate with the Iowa coaches, I don't know how you can't say they aren't class acts. None of you Cyclones know Tom Brands, you've only seen him with regards to wrestling. I have met him outside of the room and he was as classy as anybody. I'd rather have a person like Brands as a coach, someone who doesn't believe in anything less than domination, over a coach who just sits in the corner looking bored.

The difference between me and you Cyclones is the respect I have for the rival coach. I respect Cael as a coach, hes obviously put together a very competitive team and it will remain that way for years to come. I'm not going to call him a DB or attack him as a person, because like all of you, I don't know him as a person. Its too easy to type out a bunch of harsh criticism towards a rival coach. The one thing I will say that makes Brands a better coach is that he doesn't give in to politics in the room. He lets everybody have their shot at the varsity position. I know that Cael has played favorites (I'm not saying this year), but I know a young man named Mark Kist that wasn't given a fair shake in the ISU room and he ended up leaving because of it. Cael does questionable things just like Brands. The only instance you can say one is better than the other is when their team wins.

IAChedda

Dec 7, 2008
btw joefrog, was Pollard thinking family first when he put up the curtains last year? The same curtains that kept families from Iowa unable to watch their sons, nephews, uncles and grandsons wrestle? Or is the ISU family the only one that matters? I can't think of one coach that a parent wouldn't want their child competing for (maybe Bobby Knight way back). Every coach has their certain characteristics that will have parents wanting them to coach their child. That goes for Cael Sanderson, Tom Brands, Kirk Ferentz, Gene Chizik and any other coach you can think of.

Believe it or not, the attitude of Tom Brands that every one of you clones is bashing is the same attitude that has the nations top recruits all taking interest in the program. They know that Tom Brands is capable of making them into a national championship wrestler while being a part of a national championship team.

I hope ISU remains as one of the top programs in the nation. There is nothing better than a heated Iowa-ISU dual that could go either way.

Madclone1

Oct 21, 2007
Anyone else think Brands is a pompous, loud mouth, arrogant p****?

He is my most hated hawkeye coach...

Him and Dan Gable are always running their mouth..

Brands yells and points at the refs, ISU coaches, etc...

Cael just ignores both Brands and Gable which I find amusing...

Too bad Cael would work them both on the mat...

Sorry for the venting

He sounds like he has taken too many head shots in wrestling. LOL

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
btw joefrog, was Pollard thinking family first when he put up the curtains last year? The same curtains that kept families from Iowa unable to watch their sons, nephews, uncles and grandsons wrestle?

Everyone had a chance to get tickets.

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
piccbg.gif

+

1325107StarWarsKid.JPG

=

E-thug2.jpg

CloneLuke

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Tom Brands is .5 seconds from completely going gang lu on the Iowa campus. If I woke up in the morning and heard Tom Brands went nuts and started shooting people with an A.k. 47 I would not even be remotely shocked.

Last edited:

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Good Ole Runner Up Hayden will always rank as the least liked, closely followed by Head Butter Brands. He truely is the poster child for classless Hawkeyes.

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
Good Ole Runner Up Hayden will always rank as the least liked, closely followed by Head Butter Brands. He truely is the poster child for classless Hawkeyes.

I don't know, Monty wants to have Hayden's babies, but hates Kirk. Better set him straight. Also, I can't help but think that you people would be singing a different tune if Brands was on the ISU bench and had beaten Iowa 3 years in a row.

Maybe if Cael did something other than sit there and play with his tie, and actually showed some excitement once in a while, his team would pick up on that.

illinoiscyclone

Jan 30, 2008
Wisconsin
I know a young man named Mark Kist that wasn't given a fair shake in the ISU room and he ended up leaving because of it. Cael does questionable things just like Brands.

mark kist was not even half of the wrestler that tyler clark is. clark beat him at the pre-season dual, and beat him in the room. what more of a chance do you want? I am pretty sure he left because clark was beating him out for a spot, and then long came, and long is possibly better than clark (time will tell, i heard clark will RS next year while long wrestles). i wish him the best, but him not being given a fair chance sounds like "sour grapes" to me.

One time cael called my buddy into his office. he asked him,"what are your goals as a wrestler at iowa state?" my friend said," to compete for a spot, and possibly wrestle a few varsity matches before i graduate." cael made suggested that he turn his gear in because every iowa state wrestler's goal should be to win a national championship. that is striving for dominance but cael does not jump around like a semi-******** slobbering monkey, and can form coherent sentences while striving for exellence.

Reactions: joefrog

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
mark kist was not even half of the wrestler that tyler clark is. clark beat him at the pre-season dual, and beat him in the room. what more of a chance do you want? I am pretty sure he left because clark was beating him out for a spot, and then long came, and long is possibly better than clark (time will tell, i heard clark will RS next year while long wrestles). i wish him the best, but him not being given a fair chance sounds like "sour grapes" to me.

One time cael called my buddy into his office. he asked him,"what are your goals as a wrestler at iowa state?" my friend said," to compete for a spot, and possibly wrestle a few varsity matches before i graduate." cael made suggested that he turn his gear in because every iowa state wrestler's goal should be to win a national championship. that is striving for dominance but cael does not jump around like a semi-******** slobbering monkey, and can form coherent sentences while striving for exellence.

He probably capitalizes the first word of sentances, too. To make them more "coherent".