Tom Hill to retire

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Thats your opinion, mine is that it isn't the purview of a reputable University to sponsor and manage a giant drunk fest with history of property damage, several deaths, and bad press. I would like to see a university-wide celebration return, but it needs to be done in a very careful and deliberate way to avoid turning into what VEISHEA became. Also, VEISHEA was going to be cancelled with or without Tom Hill being at ISU.

History of property damage... yet i bet most ames businesses would rather still have veishea because it was a cash cow for the area.

As for the deaths... all were off campus and most werent even really veishea-related... they were things that could happen on any weekend (like a guy sitting on a balcony and falling off). Should we cancel football because the crime rate goes way up on gamedays?

And who said anything about it 'managing a giant drunk fest'? How about exploring solutions to work with the community like they did in the first veishea back in 04? How about not repeating the same exact mistake from 2004 and funneling a party that was broken up right into a congested area?

As far as being 'careful and deliberate' with bringing something back, there's no reason they couldnt've done that between years, examining solutions and implementing them. Even if it had to take a year off like it did in 05 (and that made 06 a very successful, much improved veishea when they implemented all the changes)

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
History of property damage... yet i bet most ames businesses would rather still have veishea because it was a cash cow for the area.

As for the deaths... all were off campus and most werent even really veishea-related... they were things that could happen on any weekend (like a guy sitting on a balcony and falling off). Should we cancel football because the crime rate goes way up on gamedays?

And who said anything about it 'managing a giant drunk fest'? How about exploring solutions to work with the community like they did in the first veishea back in 04? How about not repeating the same exact mistake from 2004 and funneling a party that was broken up right into a congested area?

As far as being 'careful and deliberate' with bringing something back, there's no reason they couldnt've done that between years, examining solutions and implementing them. Even if it had to take a year off like it did in 05 (and that made 06 a very successful, much improved veishea when they implemented all the changes)

Strange that such a large percentage of these type of deaths over the years have happened during VEISHEA. Maybe just a coincidence and not the fact there are thousands of extremely drunk students wanting to one-up last years VEISHEA. I went to ISU for 6 years and have witnessed the issues first hand.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Strange that such a large percentage of these type of deaths over the years have happened during VEISHEA. Maybe just a coincidence and not the fact there are thousands of extremely drunk students wanting to one-up last years VEISHEA. I went to ISU for 6 years and have witnessed the issues first hand.

Or deaths happen at other times and they dont get the publicity because everyone's wanting to make a big deal of it.

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
Or deaths happen at other times and they dont get the publicity because everyone's wanting to make a big deal of it.

We are obviously not going to agree on this, which is fine. I came on here to pay respect to Tom Hill. Who in my opinion is a good man and has done well in his time at ISU.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Whether you agree with the VEISHEA decision or not, and despite the formation of back cover committees and the like, ultimately the decision on it was always Leath's call.

BikeSkiClone

Jul 25, 2014
Was Dr. Hill a big part of the committee that cancelled VEISHEA? Yeah. Do I completely agree with their decision? No.

Does that one decision warrant a "good riddance"? Not from me.

He probably made hundreds of decisions that benefitted Iowa State's students, faculty, staff, donors, and alumni. I got to know him when I worked at the Rec Center as a student and have nothing but positive things to say about my interactions with him, both at the Rec and around campus. I remember first meeting him the summer after my freshman year, I was cleaning one of the ellipticals and he was on the one next to me and just struck up a conversation. We'd see each other in passing pretty regularly that summer at Lied and then on the 3rd day of class I ran into him in front of Beardshear and he remembered my name, my major, asked how classes were going, and offered to buy me lunch and "catch up". That's what I thought of first when I saw the thread title; not "oh this is a the guy who was part of ending VEISHEA". I'm sure there are others with similar stories of Dr. Hill.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
All of the butt hurt still on VEISHEA is kinda curious to me. VEISHEA is pretty far down the list of memories I have of ISU.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
All of the butt hurt still on VEISHEA is kinda curious to me. VEISHEA is pretty far down the list of memories I have of ISU.

I am guessing our experiences were pretty similar. Back in my day anyway, VEISHEA had some drinking, although not nearly as much as in recent years. It was mainly a Greek thing, which I think probably helped lead to it becoming mostly a drinking thing, as most of the students aren't in the Greek system. I did some of the VEISHEA special intramurals, went to the parade, hit a party or two, and that was it. It certainly wasn't drinking all week like it became later.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Well the VEISHEA committee that he headed was a sham at least that was way it seemed from the meeting I went to.
I'm glad some of you here had positive interactions with him but I'm glad to see him gone.

ISUagger

Jan 31, 2012
Ames
Well the VEISHEA committee that he headed was a sham at least that was way it seemed from the meeting I went to.
I'm glad some of you here had positive interactions with him but I'm glad to see him gone.

I was on a VEISHEA committee 3 out of the four years I was in Ames. Tom always seemed to have the best interests of the university in mind. I know many of the people who ran VEISHEA and they all feel the same.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Rabble rabble rabble

qvam3.jpg