NBA: Tom Izzo prediction

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
CyBookie?

I don't think he goes anywhere. Too many career college coaches have tried to go to the pros and failed miserably. Not sure why he would risk it when he has something good going at MSU.

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
It's been widely reported that he is interested in the Bulls job.

cycloneryan

May 21, 2006
Des Moines
I think Izzo is past that at MSU. He is a legend there. He is Dean Smith to those fans. On the other hand if he goes and fails he could have his pick at about any other school in the country.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I don't know why any college coach would go to the NBA anymore unless it's a fat garunteed contract and even then I would have my doubts. Name the last guy to jump from college that held an NBA job for an extended period of time.

The shelf life of a NBA coach is short these days. Name guys that have been with their teams for 5 or more years. I think Jerry Sloan is the longest tenured. After that I think it's Gregg Popovich. Lawrence Frank since 2004. Phil Jackson took a year off so he's only been with the Lakers since 2005 in his current stint. After that I really can't name you anyone that has been with their team for more than maybe 3 years? Mike Brown and Flip Saunders were hired in 2005 tooHere's the list of current coaches: NBA.com: Coaches I was trying to google for a list of current coaching tenures but can't find anything recent. Most teams have changed coaches in the past 3 years though and anymore even making the playoffs is not enough to keep your job.

Cy Heavy

Aug 29, 2006
Ankeny
I heard Jordan was coming back....again.

Bulls or White Sox?

On a related note: caught the Chris Farley SNL special on NBC a few nights ago-I still laugh out loud at the Superfan's skit w/Jordan and still cry when Farley and Swayze (sp?) compete for the final Chippendale spot.

MontyBurns

Jan 27, 2008
Rumors are that the Bulls job is Kirk Ferentz' if he wants it. Iowa is reportedly putting together a 2 year, $20 million extension to keep him. :biglaugh:

Actually, I can't see Izzo leaving. He is a Michigan native and he was Jud Heathcote's hand-picked successor at Michigan State after serviing as Jud's assistant for many many years. He has his entire career invested at Michigan State in a way similar to Joe Paterno at Penn State. It's hard to imagine him walking away from that for an NBA job where he would almost certainly be fired in the next 3-4 years.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron