"Tom 'Mensa' Herman Rips Apart Houston Reporter On His Own Show

Jambalaya

May 29, 2008
Could you imagine if a radio sports guy/blogger/writer in Iowa had this exchange?

I know Pollard had to endure some douchebaggery by central Iowa radio guys.

But Kirk Ferentz? Hayden Fry?

Those two would never be subjected to this type of interview. The Iowa media types here would be so fearful of being ostracized by the Iowa staff and death threats from Hawkeye fans. They bow down to the Empire to the east

http://www.underdogdynasty.com/2016...n-rips-apart-houston-reporter-on-his-own-show

http://chirb.it/NNfnf8 <Radio exchange

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Could you imagine if a radio sports guy/blogger/writer in Iowa had this exchange?

I know Pollard had to endure some douchebaggery by central Iowa radio guys.

But Kirk Ferentz? Hayden Fry?

Those two would never be subjected to this type of interview. The Iowa media types here would be so fearful of being ostracized by the Iowa staff and death threats from Hawkeye fans. They bow down to the Empire to the east

Quite the interview. No surprise that Lopez is a Texas A$M grad.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Yeah, a head scratcher. They pretty much say, we believe our sources and gave a bs apology. Tom did seem a bit butt hurt though that the story got out about Kyle Allen though, I am betting they were right about him not wanting everyone to know that at the time. Still though, the treatment was a sure way to make sure he never goes on that show again.

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
So reporter says Allen interested in going to Houston. Allen goes to Houston. Herman mad.

Haven't listened to the radio show or read the article but what exactly happened to upset Herman?

cloneu

Jul 26, 2007
Urbandale
www.golfdsm.com
Is this the interview where towards the end one of the hosts asked Herman if they could have lunch together sometime? I don't recall much of that interview but it sounds like the same one. I like Herman and hope he stays away from Texas so I don't have to stop liking him at some point.

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
So reporter says Allen interested in going to Houston. Allen goes to Houston. Herman mad.

Haven't listened to the radio show or read the article but what exactly happened to upset Herman?

The headline was that Tom Herman had met with Kyle Allen in Houston. That was inaccurate information. They did not try to confirm the story with Herman or anyone else in the program.

The guy who wrote the article and his co-host argue that it was accurate enough, in a nutshell, and Tom is saying that the report was inaccurate based on the title, and then they say that the title is unimportant. It's a big round and round argument about semantics, but it's clear the guy reported the story wrong, but either does not recognize that it was wrong or is just unwilling to.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines

I think you answered your own question.

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
They did not try to confirm the story with Herman or anyone else in the program.

This is my issue. It was the same with Travis Hines when he made the false report about Pollard/Hoiberg not getting along as a reason Fred left for Chicago. A simple phone call to the parties involved can clear this stuff up. Why didn't they just call Herman or someone in the program? Instead these people will rely on their unnamed, "reputable" sources outside who is involved. This is a part of why journalism today is in the decline as a whole. Laziness and/or bad sources. Pick up a phone, reporter.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
Herman just sounded awful there IMO. Picking on the individuals over semantics. He did meet with the QB, just over the phone and not in person.

Now, if the story said that a booster was in the meeting and he wasn't, that's a big error. BUT, Herman really only kept coming back to the same sorry argument about meeting in person is black and white different than meeting on the phone. He's mad because he had a kid and his family upset they were recruiting over him. And his buddies that write what he wants didn't get to break the story.

I can see why Rhoads and Herman, supposedly, didn't get along.

***disclaimer: I'm no journalist and may have every part of this post wrong.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Herman just sounded awful there IMO. Picking on the individuals over semantics. He did meet with the QB, just over the phone and not in person.

Now, if the story said that a booster was in the meeting and he wasn't, that's a big error. BUT, Herman really only kept coming back to the same sorry argument about meeting in person is black and white different than meeting on the phone. He's mad because he had a kid and his family upset they were recruiting over him. And his buddies that write what he wants didn't get to break the story.

I can see why Rhoads and Herman, supposedly, didn't get along.

***disclaimer: I'm no journalist and may have every part of this post wrong.

I thought all 3 came across bad in this

Agreed. The subject was too sensitive to not describe exactly right and get confirmation but Herman doth protest too much which made him seem like a b*tch...especially when he starts to get personal with the host.

I personally do find in person/on the phone to be a material difference and an important distinction. Herman simply should have indicated that the story was factually wrong (imo it was) and left it at that...let Lopez cry if he wants and look like the baby.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
The one guy has the nerve to say he is not a journalist, but an entertainer, so he gets to say whatever he wants. I get sports are entertainment, but it shouldn't be the WWE. Not that there is anything wrong with the WWE.

That pisses me off in the media. "I'm not a journalist, I'm an entertainer." So you get to lie or be misinformed and there is no accountability for that? Sounds like a noble career to me.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
That pisses me off in the media. "I'm not a journalist, I'm an entertainer." So you get to lie or be misinformed and there is no accountability for that? Sounds like a noble career to me.

Lopez is worse than Wright (the "entertainer") in this case though because Lopez wants to have it both ways; he want to scoop the UH beat writers but be a "radio host now". He got sloppy and Herman went overboard calling him on it.

The "I'm an entertainer" bit is going to backfire on this schmuck though. If he's not held to a level of journalistic integrity why ever go on his show? He's not Jim Rome or Dan Patrick and he has no cred. If I were TH I'd never feel bad about not going on his show ever again.

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
Lopez is worse than Wright (the "entertainer") in this case though because Lopez wants to have it both ways; he want to scoop the UH beat writers but be a "radio host now". He got sloppy and Herman went overboard calling him on it.

The "I'm an entertainer" bit is going to backfire on this schmuck though. If he's not held to a level of journalistic integrity why ever go on his show? He's not Jim Rome or Dan Patrick and he has no cred. If I were TH I'd never feel bad about not going on his show ever again.

I don't think Lopez or Wright are in any danger of being admitted to MENSA.