Top 10 College Football Traditions You Love to Hate

• We Will Collective May Donor Drive - Last Day, Help Needed!

We're in the final hours of a critical push to signup donors for the May Donor Drive. Let your Cyclone friends know!

Please consider giving at We Will Collective.

Cybone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
All of this talk of the A&M Band

Where is the love for THE ISUCF"V"MB?????

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
I'd love to be at Tennessee for a night game for a round of Rocky Top, at least just once.

tube1

Oct 19, 2006
How about that one school with the crazy little man at mid-field with a microphone trying to teach the crowd lame cheers? He's nuts!

Cybone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
The seniors keep leaving their shoes on the field and someone is going to get hurt!

Yeah, both times I marched off of the field in socks. The field was cold and muddy both times

ozone

Apr 11, 2006
Olathe
I'm surprised Boomer Sooner wasn't included. First down? BOOMER SOONER! Change in possession? BOOMER SOONER! Win the game? BOOMER SOONER! Lose the game? You get it.

This is definitely the most annoying tradition, IMO. :yes:

ozone

Apr 11, 2006
Olathe
#6 made me laugh only because one of my old bosses (an ISU grad) said that when he was a student in Ames a bunch of them (students) started throwing apples at the buffalo, which CU had brought to a game a Clyde Williams Field. He said the thing started freaking out, got loose and started rampaging all over the place. After that he said that CU never brought the buffalo back to another ISU home game, and food service stopped serving apples on gamedays... :wink:

It was oranges - not apples! The Big 8's superbowl was the Orange Bowl. And the buffalo broke loose and took a beeline back to its cage. Yes, I was there.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
USC does a similar thing. First Down? Daaaa dat dat dat duh DUH da daaaa... Over and over again.

Florida State and the tomahawk chop and the chanting.

Also (if I may crossover to basketball) that St. Joseph's hawk that flaps it's arms incessantly. I find that mildly annoying.

Anyone see the Colorado - Nebraska game in Boulder a few years back? Talk about a bad tradition.... They had to stop the game for about 20 minutes and kick 2 entire sections of the stadium out before the game could resume. The students were tossing everything they could get their filthy hands on onto the field. What a joke.

Maybe the worst is that lazy azz Bevo just laying around by the endzone at Texas. How much fun is that? They should spice that up with a butcher and a large grill and feed the student section. That might be more interesting.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Oh you are so dead on with that one.... I hate that! I think it was a tradition probably started back in the day when it was easy to clap for a hapless K-State or someone in the 70s or 80s that the huskers had just put up 50 on... I'm not sure how the clapping has been in the last couple years however....

Isn't it obvious? They clap for their team now after losing the game and pat themselves on the back because they supported their team through thick and thin...

Varsity

Mar 5, 2008
Rowdy Creek, Texas
You know, they run a buffalo before games at West Texas A&M (nee West Texas State) but they never get any notice. I guess that Div. II is just too obscure.

hawkeye_t

Apr 24, 2006
ID via PA via ME via IA
The football tradition that has to stop is the PA guy shouting, "Good for another (insert Gloden Gopher, Wildcat, etc) (crowd)first down". I think it is too high school now that it appears half the teams in D1 football do the same thing.

Nick

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 28, 2006
Worst Iowa State tradition: Bells of Iowa State. Makes me cringe every time I hear it.

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
I lived in College Station for a year because of business and went to some atm games. Definitely different than what I was used to with all of their traditional stuff which I thought took some excitement from the game. Kyle field though impressively huge, like they say everythings bigger in Texas, okay sure. The tailgating does not hold a candle to Iowa State tailgating as well and of course the fan base. Also not a fan of their fans, always got asked where I was from and would tell them Ames, Iowa and they would say, " The cold country" or the "potato state?" Yeah, how stupid I dislike the aggies. Glad to be back in Ames.

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
I have come to hate the Florida Gator chomp as well as the Alabama fight song.

But the most ludicrous thing is seeing a group of people proudly cheer "Woooooooooooo...PIG...Soooooooooeeeeeeeee"!

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008
I'm gonna have to throw in a vote for NU's Tunnel Walk. It's not that I hate it, I've just never seen 80,000+ people get so excited about something sooooo lame. I mean you're watching a video of a bunch of dudes walking down a hallway. *yawn*

One of the coolest things I've heard about (never seen it in person) is LSU's bengal tiger "Mike". I hear they make him roar before the game over the PA system by showing him the student mascot dressed in his tiger costume. Nothing like the real thing, baby!

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
I'm gonna have to throw in a vote for NU's Tunnel Walk. It's not that I hate it, I've just never seen 80,000+ people get so excited about something sooooo lame. I mean you're watching a video of a bunch of dudes walking down a hallway. *yawn*

One of the coolest things I've heard about (never seen it in person) is LSU's bengal tiger "Mike". I hear they make him roar before the game over the PA system by showing him the student mascot dressed in his tiger costume. Nothing like the real thing, baby!

I can assure you that LSU's entire pre-game routine is fantastic...you certainly want to be in your seat 30 to 45 minutes before gametime so you don't miss any of it! As they say..."there's nothing like Saturday night in Tiger Stadium!"

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron