Top 5 Beatles Albums

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
I'm not sure how anybody can leave Abbey Road off of this list. The second side of it is the best half of an album there is and the first side is really good, too.

The other half-album that I'd rank up with side 2 of Abbey Road is side 1 of Born to Run and I'm not a Springsteen fan.

I guess everybody can have their own opinion but if you don't include Abbey Road in your top 5 Beatles albums your opinion is wrong.:D

Reactions: Angie

sdillon500

Sep 12, 2006
northern california
I am interested in this (I hadn't gotten the entire post read thoroughly when I posted)! I always hear about them being two sides of the same album - but they never have been for me. Revolver is far-and-away my favorite Beatles album, it bridges the old and new sounds so well, but without being self-indulgent (as some of their later stuff could be) or goofy (like so much of the earlier stuff). In contrast, I've never been a huge fan of Rubber Soul (with a couple of exceptions). "Nowhere Man" just grates on me, for some reason.

I think the two albums as a pair because they were released so close to one another (about 8-9 months apart), and have such a similar sound (more distorted guitars than we'd heard from The Beatles previously, experimenting with studio sounds, lyrics about a wider range of subjects). These were the first two albums that were completed after The Beatles finished touring, and you can almost hear the sense of freedom and dedication to just songwriting throughout both albums. Plus, they're just so singular in The Beatles' catalog, the bridge between their early pop stuff like Please Please Me & Hard Day's Night, and their later psychedelic & post-modern stuff like Sgt. Pepper & The White Album. If you listen to Rubber Soul & Revolver back to back, it really sounds like a double album

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I think the two albums as a pair because they were released so close to one another (about 8-9 months apart), and have such a similar sound (more distorted guitars than we'd heard from The Beatles previously, experimenting with studio sounds, lyrics about a wider range of subjects). These were the first two albums that were completed after The Beatles finished touring, and you can almost hear the sense of freedom and dedication to just songwriting throughout both albums. Plus, they're just so singular in The Beatles' catalog, the bridge between their early pop stuff like Please Please Me & Hard Day's Night, and their later psychedelic & post-modern stuff like Sgt. Pepper & The White Album. If you listen to Rubber Soul & Revolver back to back, it really sounds like a double album

Part of the problem is probably that I really don't listen to Rubber Soul super-often, and definitely not back-to-back with Revolver. I will give that a shot, because that sounds legit. I DO agree that it's definitely them spreading their wings from their early career, and they're both definitely a bridge from early to late.

As far as your Past Masters comments - I also enjoy both of them, too. I think they're the best compilations, and I like that they focus a lot on the Billy Preston stuff in the second one.

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
1) Abbey Road
2) Rubber Soul
3) Revolver
4) Sgt Pepper
5) Help!

And just because I don't play by the rules...top 5 solo Beatles albums:

1) All Things Must Pass (probably the most underrated rock album today imho)
2) Plastic Ono Band (closest to high art an album can get and still be 'rock')
3) Living in the Material World (hidden gem)
4) Imagine (deeper than just the title track)
5) McCartney (if only Paul's other stuff was as great as this first solo album)

I agree with the your top four albums in any order as the best. Help and Hard Day's Night is the next tier.

White Album is not on my list of bests because there are so many throw away songs--i.e., something I don't care to listen to (more on this than any other Beatles album, and where throw away songs on Beatles albums are pretty rare).

Really, it's hard to go wrong with a Beatles album. I love all the early stuff too. Beatles For Sale has one or two clinkers, but it also has several of the best: I Don't Want to Spoil the Party (Chris Hillman once called this the first country-rock song, and he, and not your mother, should know) and I'm a Loser.

Of all the non-originals, the BBC Live (the first version) is a gem, and I think someone already mentioned this. Gives a flavor of some of the songs they were doing before they were really famous.

As for the movies, there is Hard Day's Night (a great one) and all the rest (not so great). Let it Be (which I haven't seen for years and don't know if it's available) is interesting because it's a rare documentary of the band playing live (and not in front of 50,000 screaming fans).

As for the Beatle's solos, I like HCFS' list. There are a few other good ones that should be mentioned--well, maybe one: Lennon's Double Fantasy. Harrison had some other good ones too but nothing to match All Things Much Pass. I've never been much of a fan of McCartney's post-Beatles work although he's certainly done some good songs. Ironic, isn't it, that they did all their best solo work in the immediate aftermath of the band's breakup?

Last edited:

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Hi, it's me, "chiming in." :)

Excuse the wordiness. Writing is easy, editing takes time. :cool:

My 5
1. “Revolver.” The most cohesive set when J, P and G each were still engaged as songwriters in context of The Beatles as a group. At the same time, they were beginning to find separate creative identities. Those two diverging qualities are in perfect balance. Bonus: Studio experimentation of the late-period began here.
2. The White Album. My answer when someone asks, “What’s your favorite Beatles album?” It’s a fascinating collection, expansive in style. Is it bloated? Sure. It has a few songs I rarely revisit. But it has large chunks that make me want to return. If “Revolver” was the last true unified effort as an “actual band,” White Album is The Opposite. A beautiful, sprawling mess.
3. “Rubber Soul.” Easy to overlook how much of a departure this was after the wave of Beatlemania’s musical form. It’s more acoustic-based than anything they did before, while still having plenty of rock ’n’ roll. First hint of George Martin’s production influence and the band begins to explore new uses of instrumentation. I’d argue this album has aged better than anything in the catalog. And oh, the vocal harmonies.
4. “Sgt. Pepper.” A common knock on this album is The Beatles abandoned the “concept” of a mythical band after the first two songs. I’d be curious to hear the album if they had stayed focused all the way through, but ironically that runs counter to the spirit of McCartney’s vision, which was to free the group from constraints of “being The Beatles.” The opening track and the cameo by Billy Shears sets a tone, then they go in whatever directions they choose. It also has a claustrophobic sound, mirroring a transition from live performances to studio isolation.
5. “Abbey Road.” The pinnacle of studio-precision and a fitting coda. It’s two albums in one: Side 1 showcases each member’s personal songwriting direction at the time. Side 2 is a pastiche that summarizes the group’s evolution. I’d rank it higher, but songs on side 1, individually, don’t cut it for me. I like “Oh, Darling!” and “I Want You,” but even those don’t seem essential.

Admittedly, this list short-shrifts pre-Rubber Soul albums, and that may be unfair. Without “Please Please Me” and “With The Beatles” (and the advantage of making a lot of money with the breakthrough), the band might have faded before it could create the latter-day works.

Those albums, plus “A Hard Day’s Night” and “Help!” have some killer individual tracks, some among my enduring favorites. But the early albums have a lot of covers, and although they’re well-done for the most part, they don’t resonate, considering Fab Four set a standard for original songwriting.

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
Those albums, plus “A Hard Day’s Night” and “Help!” have some killer individual tracks, some among my enduring favorites. But the early albums have a lot of covers, and although they’re well-done for the most part, they don’t resonate, considering Fab Four set a standard for original songwriting.

Nice review of all the above albums. As for early album covers (most of them sung by John), I agree they're generally not as strong as the band's original material, and isn't that interesting?

Reactions: cyclones500

isukendall

Nov 30, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
1qeiyd
#1 - Beatles 1

Attachments

• 1qeiyd.jpg
    1qeiyd.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 7
  • Funny

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I'm not sure how anybody can leave Abbey Road off of this list. The second side of it is the best half of an album there is and the first side is really good, too.

The other half-album that I'd rank up with side 2 of Abbey Road is side 1 of Born to Run and I'm not a Springsteen fan.

I guess everybody can have their own opinion but if you don't include Abbey Road in your top 5 Beatles albums your opinion is wrong.:D

Side 2 (of 4) of Exile would like to have a word in this conversation.

The Stones made 4 albums that were better than any Beatles album.

Abbey Road is awesome and a perfect ending for the Beatles.

• Agree
Reactions: jcyclonee and Angie

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
The Stones made 4 albums that were better than any Beatles album.

I want to see your list. Not to argue the point, I'm simply curious.

My guess is your 4 come from among these 7 (in chrono order): Aftermath, Between the Buttons, Beggars Banquet, Let it Bleed, Sticky Fingers, Exile on Main Street and Some Girls.

I'll take a stab and guess Buttons, Banquet, Let it Bleed and Sticky Fingers/Exile.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I want to see your list. Not to argue the point, I'm simply curious.

My guess is your 4 come from among these 7 (in chrono order): Aftermath, Between the Buttons, Beggars Banquet, Let it Bleed, Sticky Fingers, Exile on Main Street and Some Girls.

I'll take a stab and guess Buttons, Banquet, Let it Bleed and Sticky Fingers/Exile.

My four would be Banquet, Let it Bleed, Sticky Fingers, and Exile.

Basically, as the Beatles were hanging it up, the Stones were hitting their stride. They had given up (thankfully) on trying to be Beatleish competitors, and became The Greatest Rock and Roll Band on the Planet.

Reactions: cyclones500