Toppling Goliath announces Florida brewer partnership

CyNerd

Jul 2, 2014
Pretty awesome news! I used to hang out at Clark's house like 10 years ago. It's a shame I was too young then to appreciate craft brewing or professional networking. Still can't believe such a quality beer is being brewed in my home town, but not surprised that he was the one capable of doing it.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Should be a pretty good deal for beer drinkers. BrewHub handles some of Cigar City's IPAs, so I think that speaks pretty highly of their capabilities/standards.

Looking forward to taking PsuedoSue cans canoeing this summer.

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
I'm very excited for cans and expanded availability (side topic: cans > bottles and it's not even close).

I'm a little bummed that they're going the contract brewing route, though, rather than keeping that production in-state. Al_4_State, I know you're fairly involved with the brewery and probably can't disclose too much, but any insight into why they decided to farm this out to BrewHub rather than expand and/or move their existing facility?

Feb 6, 2013
I'm very excited for cans and expanded availability (side topic: cans > bottles and it's not even close).

I'm a little bummed that they're going the contract brewing route, though, rather than keeping that production in-state. Al_4_State, I know you're fairly involved with the brewery and probably can't disclose too much, but any insight into why they decided to farm this out to BrewHub rather than expand and/or move their existing facility?

Seems like a much less risky venture. It's quite possible they expand their facilities after establishing higher market saturation.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown

Convenience, yes. Taste, no.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Convenience, yes. Taste, no.

The thing with glass is nostalgia and not getting burps as often as I do with cans. Beer does taste better out of a can IMO, less chance for sunlight.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Agree, beer is better in a can. Look at some of the top IPA's in the country and you'll see they are in cans.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

I'm not that connected or involved, but I'd imagine it's much more cost effective to run this through BrewHub than to expand again. Brewery expansions/construction are notoriously slow processes (seriously, watch any new brewery - they will be open at least 2 months after they first say they're going to be open) and expensive as hell. This allows them to meet demand in a much quicker, cost effective way. It seems that they've reached a point with their demand that they're basically alienating some market that desires the beer any time they release bottles.

From what I understand they'll still make as much beer as possible in Decorah. More of the Hop Patrol series or limited release stuff, but this allows the big sellers like Sue and Dorothy's and to get out to the masses in a way that keeps the operation in the black, and the beer flowing.

Again, that's not "inside" info, just piecing what I've read and my own personal beliefs together.

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007

I'd say that it depends. If you're doing anything designed to age, you're generally going to end up in bottles, either corked/caged or waxed or whatnot.

Agree, beer is better in a can. Look at some of the top IPA's in the country and you'll see they are in cans.

I'd argue that a fresh IPA will be better off in a bottle off a high quality filler than a can, all else being equal. You can generally achieve lower dissolved oxygen levels in bottles than you can in cans. The problem is you'll get oxygen ingress through the crown liner over time in bottles, while the DO level in cans stays constant. So in the mid-long term, cans do tend to be better. IPAs, well at least the current crop of hoppy american ones, really do need to be consumed fresh, though, so the lower level of initial DO is probably more desirable than the protection from light and longer term ingress of oxygen that the can package provides.

Cans are a better package for many packaging breweries though, for a whole host of reasons, and done right, obviously can make great beer. Don't get me started on crowlers though...