Toppling Goliath

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Just heads up that Winestyles WDM just got 7 cases. Sue and Nugget limit of 2 each.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
This probably means that places like prairie trail, 35th, and fluer hyvee will also get some.

JHpsyclonz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa City
A friend of mine recently visited the tap room in Decorah. He brought me back a bottle of Sosus and a bottle of Hopsmack both double IPAs. Haven't tried them yet but I will be doing so soon. I'm able to get Sue and Nugget pretty regularly in Iowa City. I guess that's one of the few good things about living here. They just really know how to make great IPAs. Sometimes batches of Sue vary a bit but I've never had one I didn't like.

bufante

Nov 27, 2006
DMI
Mills Civic had a 3 bottle limit last night when I stopped by.

Bottle production has been increased as keg production has lowered. They are going to make more money selling bottles to expand their operation.

As far as IPAs go (and barrel aged stouts) they are the bee's knees!

JHpsyclonz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa City
A friend of mine recently visited the tap room in Decorah. He brought me back a bottle of Sosus and a bottle of Hopsmack both double IPAs. Haven't tried them yet but I will be doing so soon. I'm able to get Sue and Nugget pretty regularly in Iowa City. I guess that's one of the few good things about living here. They just really know how to make great IPAs. Sometimes batches of Sue vary a bit but I've never had one I didn't like.

Had the Hopsmack last night. It was really nice as far as Double IPAs go. I would compare it to Scream from New Glarus but with a smoother finish. I would definitely recommend trying it to anyone who likes a good IPA.

bpmdu

Jun 28, 2006
Question for those of you that have been to the tap room, do they have a lot of bottles in stock? I always strike out trying to find any around here and am considering driving to Decorah to make a purchase but don't want to make the drive if they don't have much stock on hand.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
Mills Civic had a 3 bottle limit last night when I stopped by.

Bottle production has been increased as keg production has lowered. They are going to make more money selling bottles to expand their operation.

As far as IPAs go (and barrel aged stouts) they are the bee's knees!

I like bee's knees. Thanks for this thread op.

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
Question for those of you that have been to the tap room, do they have a lot of bottles in stock? I always strike out trying to find any around here and am considering driving to Decorah to make a purchase but don't want to make the drive if they don't have much stock on hand.

It depends. Usually they have at least some Dorothy and Golden Nugget, but the others are more hit or miss. Anytime I've seen PseudoSue there, they have A LOT of bottles, which tells me that they sell them quickly.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
The only TG I've ever bought in DSM was Dorothy. Then I realized why that one was still in stock . . . :twitcy:

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
I'm gonna try it someday, but was at Prairie trail yesterday and guy pulled a cart up to the cooler acted like he just found gold. Is it really good, or they just don't produce enough

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Picked up some Psuedo and LightSpeed last night.

WDM Hy-Vee only had 4 bottles of lightspeed left and no Psuedo. Of course they had a million bottles of Dorthy. I'm guessing that TG makes a lot more money on Dorthy. I'd rather see them charge $1 or $2 more for their good stuff and actually have it available all the time.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I just saw on beer advocate that the head brewer at TG has left and they are looking for a replacement. I owuld have to think this would be a huge deal for such a small brewery.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
I just saw on beer advocate that the head brewer at TG has left and they are looking for a replacement. I owuld have to think this would be a huge deal for such a small brewery.
That sucks! Is he going off to start something new, or what?

huntt26

Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
I did see that Decorah is getting another brewery - wouldn't that be nuts if he is going there?

ILiftWithRoyce

Feb 6, 2012
Ankeny

How much impact does a head brewer have on beer quality? Or what impact would this have on the brewery as a whole? For instance, Sue, Nugget, etc all have established recipes, so we shouldn't expect their quality to potentially drop off, should we? I don't know enough about the whole process to have a clue

huntt26

Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
How much impact does a head brewer have on beer quality? Or what impact would this have on the brewery as a whole? For instance, Sue, Nugget, etc all have established recipes, so we shouldn't expect their quality to potentially drop off, should we? I don't know enough about the whole process to have a clue

I'm no expert, but I would think TG would continue to produce Sue, Nugget, etc and it would taste very similar (almost exact) of what it does now. I'm sure they had more than one guy doing the whole process (maybe?)

But, he was a great brewer - so I think if they cannot fill his shoes with someone creative, innovative and as crafty, it would hurt the brewery moving forward for releasing new stuff.

I think the biggest story here (in my opinion) is that this guy can go somewhere else now and develop a Sue or Nuggest competitor. Especially since there was not a non-compete clause in the contract.

I for one, am looking forward to hopefully seeing a Sue clone from the same guy different place.

Again, this is just me talking - I could be 100% dead wrong.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron