Tough day for EIU hoops hopes

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
Lickliter last coached a game for the Hawkeyes on March 11, 2010. For comparison, Fred Hoiberg was hired for his first coaching assignment as Iowa State's head coach on April 27, 2010. As much as I remember those halcyon days (my last spring in Ames), I have to admit that was a long time ago.

Indrusaitis and the other young men being recruited right now are class of 2024, which means they were born in roughly 2006. I don't think they care about how bad Lickliter was between before they were born and before they were in kindergarten. There comes a point where Fran is as his own man here.
Oh, I know. But you will still hear TLs name uttered when discussions of firing/moving on from Fran.

Last edited:

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
It seems like apathy has started to set in with their fans.

I've seen a few tweets calling for Iowa to play like the ISU game or the last few minutes today's game when it's pretty obvious that Iowa can't play like that for very long.

They need opponents to play haphazardly to succeed.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Anddddd this up coming week they play a ranked Indiana team. Can they make it 0-4?
I guess I don't think Indiana is THAT overrated like @exCYtable. They beat Xavier who just beat UCONN. They beat UNC like we did but by 12. But when they lose they lose big. Lost at Rutgers by 15, #10 Arizona by 14, and by 22 at top 5 Kansas.

They are currently top 20 in the NET. Ranked #16 in the polls. I'd say they are a top 25 team.

They beat Nebraska by 16, who just beat Iowa by 16.

But Iowa REALLY needs this win. I fully expect them to win and win going away.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
EIU will get one of their next two home games vs. Indiana or Michigan, they are due go off on another 10/12 made 3 pointer night and scrape out a win. What is interesting in looking at their stats, they lead the conference in scoring the most points, and also lead the conference in giving up the most points. They are truly all offense and no defense, and when they are not hitting shots or getting to the FT line, they are in trouble.

Reactions: exCYtable

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
EIU will get one of their next two home games vs. Indiana or Michigan, they are due go off on another 10/12 made 3 pointer night and scrape out a win. What is interesting in looking at their stats, they lead the conference in scoring the most points, and also lead the conference in giving up the most points. They are truly all offense and no defense, and when they are not hitting shots or getting to the FT line, they are in trouble.
Eastern Illinois University is in the b10?

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Eastern Illinois University is in the b10?
I am not saying that they are a quality team, but neither is Indiana or Michigan final 4 teams. They are due to have a game like they did against ISU where they are making all their shots and getting to the free throw line.
Hope not, would love to see them start 0-8, but I think they will get one of those two at home.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
I am not saying that they are a quality team, but neither is Indiana or Michigan final 4 teams. They are due to have a game like they did against ISU where they are making all their shots and getting to the free throw line.
Hope not, would love to see them start 0-8, but I think they will get one of those two at home.
No making reference to Iola's loss to the real eiu.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

They might have a decent game against one of those but they will not shoot and defend like they did against ISU.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Fran really seemed to have the old IDGAF attitude going today. Very disappointed.

That’s what I noticed. Fran looked like he never cared at all today. Is he sick or something?

He didn’t even say a word when there was an obvious lane violation on PSU on one of Connor’s missed FT’s. I thought for sure he was going to go ballistic. But nothing.

Reactions: jaj040

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Fran has that tude when he's knows there's about a 99% chance they'll lose.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I still don't understand why anybody wants to play for him.

Many coaches are obviously not the warmest and fuzziest of guys when they need to be, but Fran seems like a special kind of abusive *******. TJ and Campbell seem like genuinely nice guys, but something tells me both of them are capable of giving a very unpleasant dressing down to a subordinate or a player when the situation calls for it. Fran seems like he'd be worse than that at baseline rather than as a last resort.

It's not like he has some redeeming feature of his malignant personality to sell, like winning in March, any regular-season hardware in the Big Ten, or having a strong placement record in the NBA.

So... why? No wonder his team is mostly his offspring and Iowa legacies.
As crazy as it sounds his player love playing for him and not just the ones that get an allowance.

• Wow
Reactions: Sigmapolis

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Holy hell the B1G is awful this year. They currently have 8 teams outside the NET top 50. So in other words Iowa is going to have a tough time diffing out of their hole because quality win opportunities are going to be pretty limited.

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
Holy hell the B1G is awful this year. They currently have 8 teams outside the NET top 50. So in other words Iowa is going to have a tough time diffing out of their hole because quality win opportunities are going to be pretty limited.
They pretty much have to get to 20+ wins to have any sort of chance at the tourney. At 0-3 already and 15 reg season games left (or is it 17) I just don’t see this in the cards. Gonna have to get real hot which is opposite of Fran’s typical season trajectories.