Tough day for EIU hoops hopes

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
The biggest problem with Iowa fans and their basketball program is that they think that player development is a 45 degree linear line. In reality if you are recruiting the right kids the big jump should be from their freshman to sophomore season and then the upward trend should start to flatten out. How many young players has Fran stuffed into the rotation that have had "tons of potential"? The Iowa media plays right into this as well.
The biggest problem for Iowa's basketball program is acquiring upper level talent. They usually get one stud and then surround them with below average players.

• Agree
Reactions: 7Got6 and GoHawks

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
The biggest problem for Iowa's basketball program is acquiring upper level talent. They usually get one stud and then surround them with below average players.

They've lucked into a few studs the past decade. Ones nobody really expected. Yes yes Fran deserves some credit for recognizing them and development them as he did, but I don't think even the most serious Iowa City homer would have argued those were future All-Americans when they committed.

The problem is a historical amount of luck to have Garza develop like he did and the Murray twins to be as good as they were with some talented guys who wanted to be lifelong Hawkeyes from eastern Iowa... has seem to run its course. And without those windfalls, the program is sputtering.

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
I think that is correct but what befuddles me is he doesn't seem to even try to get supporting cast. Intentionally or not, I think he has had his vision clouded with the consideration of his boys playing. They are good enough to play but they weren't/aren't good enough to be good supporting cast for the stud.

Very few teams with success at the national level ride one horse (no offense Uthoff). Take Purdue's game against Arizona. Purdue guards won that game. If Murrays had a Loyer on the team with them, hoks do something in the tourney. Creighton with Dougy McBuckets was probably the exception but that was a while ago now.

It is why I love MBB so much - there are so many dimensions you have to consider with your team and so many different ways to put together a successful team - but rarely is one of those ways to get a stud and ride him all the way.

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
They've lucked into a few studs the past decade. Ones nobody really expected. Yes yes Fran deserves some credit for recognizing them and development them as he did, but I don't think even the most serious Iowa City homer would have argued those were future All-Americans when they committed.

The problem is a historical amount of luck to have Garza develop like he did and the Murray twins to be as good as they were with some talented guys who wanted to be lifelong Hawkeyes from eastern Iowa... has seem to run its course. And without those windfalls, the program is sputtering.
I do think the Murray's was very lucky situation Fran found himself in. Garza was a good get even before he developed into Garza.

This year was always going to be a rebuilding year. I don't think anyone is too surprised they've struggled.

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
I think that is correct but what befuddles me is he doesn't seem to even try to get supporting cast. Intentionally or not, I think he has had his vision clouded with the consideration of his boys playing. They are good enough to play but they weren't/aren't good enough to be good supporting cast for the stud.

Very few teams with success at the national level ride one horse (no offense Uthoff). Take Purdue's game against Arizona. Purdue guards won that game. If Murrays had a Loyer on the team with them, hoks do something in the tourney. Creighton with Dougy McBuckets was probably the exception but that was a while ago now.

It is why I love MBB so much - there are so many dimensions you have to consider with your team and so many different ways to put together a successful team - but rarely is one of those ways to get a stud and ride him all the way.
With all do respect you can't compare purdue to any team in the country. Edey is a unicorn and its tough to know how good those guards are without him.

Reactions: 7Got6

7Got6

Aug 16, 2021
I do think the Murray's was very lucky situation Fran found himself in. Garza was a good get even before he developed into Garza.

This year was always going to be a rebuilding year. I don't think anyone is too surprised they've struggled.
At some point it’s not luck though, as much as fans want to dog him (correctly so) for his lack of defense on the teams, they also need to give him credit for his evaluations (White, Murray’s, etc). He’s really just been unable to hit on the PG position his entire tenure. I would think it’s a very attractive system for a point guard to come into, but he just continually strikes out on his top targets.

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
At some point it’s not luck though, as much as fans want to dog him (correctly so) for his lack of defense on the teams, they also need to give him credit for his evaluations (White, Murray’s, etc). He’s really just been unable to hit on the PG position his entire tenure. I would think it’s a very attractive system for a point guard to come into, but he just continually strikes out on his top targets.
Fran's got some great strengths as a coach including finding unheralded forwards. Constantly runs an efficient well coached offense. Then he has some huge weaknesses. Not great recruiter, worse in the portal and lack of athletes aside he's a terrible coach of defense. I don't think I watch any teams worse at defending a simple ball screen than Iowa. I could go on and on defensively but that's my number 1 gripe. Throw all together you get what we have. OK to good teams typically but never any real highs

• Agree
Reactions: 7Got6

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

Garza was a good get. Undeniably. But not a guy you expected to be a two-time NPOTY.

The Murray twins was quite the find, I'll give Fran that. Not quite as much as what Prohm more or less accidentally did in finding a future NBA MVP under a rock in Wisconsin, but it was good.

I just don't know if and when that's going to happen again for Iowa.

Reactions: GoHawks

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
Garza was a good get. Undeniably. But not a guy you expected to be a two-time NPOTY.

The Murray twins was quite the find, I'll give Fran that. Not quite as much as what Prohm more or less accidentally did in finding a future NBA MVP under a rock in Wisconsin, but it was good.

Fair thought. Without having really cashed in with guys you mentioned he may run out of time too. I think next year he likely starts season on a very hot seat and I'm not sure he can get enough immediate contributors to save himself.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

Yep, you need an option A, B and C, and then some glue guys that fill the roles that you need them to fill.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012

I'll take college Keegan over college Haliburton. Both phenomenal players, but I think Keegan was better at the college level. Obviously so far into their NBA careers, Haliburton has been at another level.

• Agree
Reactions: Cy4Lifer and 7Got6

CRCy17

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Chicago, IL
I'll take college Keegan over college Halliburton. Both phenomenal players, but I think Keegan was better at the college level. Obviously so far into their NBA careers, Halliburton has been at another level.
I mean Haliburton only played 1.5 years in college. Had he not gotten injured, I think we all would have seen him continue to excel and would likely have not slipped so far in the draft.

• Winner
Reactions: VeloClone

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I'll take college Keegan over college Haliburton. Both phenomenal players, but I think Keegan was better at the college level. Obviously so far into their NBA careers, Haliburton has been at another level.

The twins were born on August 19, 2000. Haliburton was born on February 29, 2000... but was playing in Ames two years before Keegan in Iowa City despite being only six months older.

Adjusting for their ages, I'll take Haliburton in his second year in the NBA over sophomore in college Keegan. Sophomore in the NBA TH started 77/77 games and averaged 15.3/4.0/8.2/1.7 steals.

23.5/8.7/1.5/1.3 steals is impressive against the Big Ten... but not as much as a near-NBA All-Star. Keegan was a great college player, sure, but remember he was really old for his class.

Haliburton was one of the youngest players in his.

Help Support Us

Become a patron