Tough day for EIU hoops hopes

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, SD
White, good shooter, lessor nba athleticism , slow footed for the nba. That’s 4. Again I don’t think sandfort can be a georges Niang, but if he wants a chance that’s how he has to do it.
Comparing anyone to Niang is about the toughest comp you can attempt. He is and has always been about as unique a basketball talent and individual as you're gonna find.

All the more reason to absolutely love Georges "The Minivan" Niang.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Comparing anyone to Niang is about the toughest comp you can attempt. He is and has always been about as unique a basketball talent and individual as you're gonna find.

All the more reason to absolutely love Georges "The Minivan" Niang.
This. He is more of a spot up shooter in the NBA than he ever was in college. He was straight up dangerous when he got down hill at ISU. Sandfort doesn't have even one iota of that type of skillset.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
This. He is more of a spot up shooter in the NBA than he ever was in college. He was straight up dangerous when he got down hill at ISU. Sandfort doesn't have even one iota of that type of skillset.
Sandfort is terrible off the bounce.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Sandfort is terrible off the bounce.
Oh, horrendous. Not even in the same stratosphere as Georges in that regard. I would be willing to bet even if Sandfort stays in and does get drafted, he is never more than a 2-way player in the league. His career trajectory would be similar to Joe Wieskamp in my opinion, who I think is actually a lot better player than Sandfort also.

• Agree
Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, SD
White, good shooter, lessor nba athleticism , slow footed for the nba. That’s 4. Again I don’t think sandfort can be a georges Niang, but if he wants a chance that’s how he has to do it.
If you're going to compare someone to arguably the most unconventional pro basketball player of the decade, you might wanna start by getting his race right.

Beyond that, I would imagine you can find 37% shooters like Sandfort who can't do much of anything else just about anywhere.

It's true, Niang adapted his game to be where he is at now. But he's also always been seen as the modern ultimate locker room guy, not just because of his overall likeability and unselfishness, but there's a cultural component too that Sandfort just doesn't have.

This bought him time and leeway socially to hang around on the periphery of the league while he adapted his game to crack a rotation. Physically, he's not your typical modern NBA player, but culturally he 100% is and always has been. He gets all the modern pop culture stuff that is huge in NBA circles precisely because he IS and always has been one of them, all the way back to his time before ISU at Tilton with Nerlens and Wayne Seldon, for example. It really shines through in his interviews and podcast appearances.

Sandfort? Well, that's a whole other story.

• Agree
Reactions: CliveClone17

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Oh, horrendous. Not even in the same stratosphere as Georges in that regard. I would be willing to bet even if Sandfort stays in and does get drafted, he is never more than a 2-way player in the league. His career trajectory would be similar to Joe Wieskamp in my opinion, who I think is actually a lot better player than Sandfort also.

Joe is a way better player

• Agree
Reactions: Cyinthenorth

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Niang is a VERY common Nigerian surname. For those who don't know he's half black, if look up his dad, I think you will be suprised.
IIRC his dad was in the merchant marine (or USN?) and was short! Like <6ft. Although I could be misremembering, its been a while. Georges towered over him.

Reactions: RezClone

cyclone82

Sep 22, 2022
Sandfort is really not draftable…… but I suppose some where in the last half dozen picks someone might take a chance. He’s not as a complete player like Joe w, without him Sukeyes are going to be unwatchable and likely a bottom 2 or 3 team in a terrible conference

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Sandfort is really not draftable…… but I suppose some where in the last half dozen picks someone might take a chance. He’s not as a complete player like Joe w, without him Sukeyes are going to be unwatchable and likely a bottom 2 or 3 team in a terrible conference
I think Wieskamp was a little better defender but not much but I think Sandfort is a more dynamic shooter and better in other areas than Wieskamp.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I think Wieskamp was a little better defender but not much but I think Sandfort is a more dynamic shooter and better in other areas than Wieskamp.
Joe had a little bit more of a handle as I recall and could get downhill and score at the rack. And he was a better athlete. I am not sure I've seen Sandfort ever take more than 2 dribbles

TClone99

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Word has it this year's draft crop is awful. Might be a good idea for him to take advantage of that.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron