Tough day for EIU hoops hopes

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
I highly doubt you will ever see an ISU logo ever associated with an NIL announcement similar to this, and if you do, we're doing it all wrong
I would not say we are doing it wrong. I would say we are trying to keep up with the Jones. Wrong would be if we illegally paid a player, not got a kid that we had to give NIL to in order to get him.

This day and age we are going to eventually have to spend to get a couple guys. We have been super smart in the type of kids we are recruiting but eventually even those type of kids are going to be asking for a ton of money and I don't blame them. I ask for a certain amount when I start a new job. That does not mean the company I work for is doing it wrong, just means they want the most talented employees.

cydnote

Oct 24, 2023
I would not say we are doing it wrong. I would say we are trying to keep up with the Jones. Wrong would be if we illegally paid a player, not got a kid that we had to give NIL to in order to get him.

This day and age we are going to eventually have to spend to get a couple guys. We have been super smart in the type of kids we are recruiting but eventually even those type of kids are going to be asking for a ton of money and I don't blame them. I ask for a certain amount when I start a new job. That does not mean the company I work for is doing it wrong, just means they want the most talented employees.
My point was that in our hierarchy in the NiL theater we wouldn't be making headlines offering record amounts to a single player. Seems with TJ's "team" philosophy, we'd benefit more getting 4 half-million dollar 'right fit" pieces rather than going all in on a single player. Don't know where Washington fits in todays landscape so maybe this isn't an "all in" move for them but it sure seems like a lot of eggs in one basket.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011

I assume the doing it wrong part is bragging about how much a player makes. Just opening up the door for a whole host of criticisms on a sensitive topic if things don't go well. It's fine if fans want to get into a pissing match over how much money players get in NIL, but having the school do it is kinda dumb (assuming that's a school graphic).

cydnote

Oct 24, 2023
I assume the doing it wrong part is bragging about how much a player makes. Just opening up the door for a whole host of criticisms on a sensitive topic if things don't go well. It's fine if fans want to get into a pissing match over how much money players get in NIL, but having the school do it is kinda dumb (assuming that's a school graphic).
NorthCyd, don't ever assume anything when referring to my posts. I can be somewhat articulate at times but can display massive failures at getting my point across :D:D:D. I do agree with your point however.

cyclone82

Sep 22, 2022
What in the absolute world does he bring to the table that nearing first round would be a possibility?! Did anyone watch him play?
Exactly,… if Eickholt is proclaiming it, then it will NEVER happen. He is an absolute sukeye fanboy with ZERO credibility. Sandlot is BARELY DRAFTABLE, but then this draft has very little elite talent. Sandlot was just a jump shot shooter on a crappy team, in a terrible league.
Best case, he gets drafted in the last 3 picks…is dumped in the G league never to be heard from again. And, the hackeyes suck even worse next year

• Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
If Sandfort has any dream of playing in the NBA, I think he has to enter the draft this year.

It’s a weak draft, and he’ll be considered too old in another year.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
Exactly,… if Eickholt is proclaiming it, then it will NEVER happen. He is an absolute sukeye fanboy with ZERO credibility. Sandlot is BARELY DRAFTABLE, but then this draft has very little elite talent. Sandlot was just a jump shot shooter on a crappy team, in a terrible league.
Best case, he gets drafted in the last 3 picks…is dumped in the G league never to be heard from again. And, the hackeyes suck even worse next year
And if he makes it, it will be just another case of Fran not being able to get the best performance out of his players...Garza, Murray, Murray. etc. No surprise. Fran is just two years away from having spent a "Sweet 16" at eiu...it would be his first!

Reactions: Acylum

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
So Fran’s job just got harder today. With Bluder retiring, it isn’t likely that Iowa WBB will be filling Carver anytime soon. So can the Iowa AD afford to have neither basketball program unable to garner fan support?

TClone99

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
I have to say Jan Jensen is one of the nicest people I’ve ever met. If I’d ever be able to root for a Hawk it would probably be her. I won’t though.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
For 2 million a yr, if I was a Washington fan I'd expect that dude to shoot 90% FTs and at least a sweet 16(maybe elite 8)

Reactions: Cyclone06

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I actually think this is a plus for him.

Really? I guess I felt the last two years that he’s been able to get away with having bad teams because everyone was so focused on the WBB team that no one noticed. Without that distraction, will donors start to notice when there aren’t other options in the winter?

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque

Freaking insane to me that these scouts are watching the same Payton Sandfort that we all are, but I'm all about it.

Absolute best case scenario and ceiling for him would be Duncan Robinson, who is actually having a nice career for 6'7 unathletic white kid from the Midwest who knows one trick (spot up 3 point shooting). No idea if he'll achieve that or not, there are not a lot of other road maps to success for guys like that.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Rural

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
So Fran’s job just got harder today. With Bluder retiring, it isn’t likely that Iowa WBB will be filling Carver anytime soon. So can the Iowa AD afford to have neither basketball program unable to garner fan support?

Yes, Caitlin Clark is gone and Iowa won't be sniffing the Final Four again soon. However, given the strong recruiting class they have coming in and the typical honeymoon period for a new college coach, I'm sure there will still be very strong interest in Iowa women's basketball next season.

Even though we should have a really strong team next year, I'm expecting Carver Hawkeye Arena will be a sold out hornet's nest when we play them next year and our ladies will have to play really well to beat them.

Last edited:

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Freaking insane to me that these scouts are watching the same Payton Sandfort that we all are, but I'm all about it.

Absolute best case scenario and ceiling for him would be Duncan Robinson, who is actually having a nice career for 6'7 unathletic white kid from the Midwest who knows one trick (spot up 3 point shooting). No idea if he'll achieve that or not, there are not a lot of other road maps to success for guys like that.
It's insane to me that ISU fans are experts on Payton Sandfort.

Reactions: Drew0311

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
Well since some of us watched him play in high school and at Iowa, I'd say we're just as expert as the the Iowa fans.
This. Basketball fans in the state of Iowa know him well and the majority of the comments here are spot on. Good shooter, effective offensive player, lower tier athleticism at NBA level, zero defense. Can maybe carve out a role as a bench shooter and this is a historically bad draft class, so he's getting a good bit of elevated draft status out of that. Would probably be dumb on his end to come back to college given that and re-entering in a deeper class next year.