Tough day for EIU hoops hopes

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Yes, Caitlin Clark is gone and Iowa won't be sniffing the Final Four again soon. However, given the strong recruiting class they have coming in and the typical honeymoon period for a new college coach, I'm sure there will still be very strong interest in Iowa women's basketball next season.

Even though we should have a really strong team next year, I'm expecting Carver Hawkeye Arena will be a sold out hornet's nest when we play them next year and our ladies will have to play really well to beat them.

Too bad they don't have interest in their women's field hockey team, swimming & diving team, gymnastics team, etc. I am sure there are some storylines about those...

• Funny
Reactions: CyNews and Acylum

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I am agreeing with you but I am also fascinated by how misguided Boomers and Gen Xers are in general about the NBA draft. They don't really learn either.

My FIL has entered the chat.... we've had the same discussions over and over regarding underclassmen entering the draft.

Reactions: CyPunch

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
I agree. Furphy seems like a guy that could definitely use at least one more season of college basketball, but the NBA seems more and more content to draft guys like this early and let them develop on their benches and in G League.

The belief is that 1) the player will develop faster in the pros, and 2) if we don’t get him now, someone else will, and we’ll be kicking ourselves in 3 years when he has value as a player.

The flip side of this: there 450 players on a roster during the season, plus another 90 on two-ways. A lot of these guys may never make the league even after being drafted. That’s why teams reach in the higher spots - if the expected return is nothing, take big risks.

Reactions: Cyinthenorth

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Don't hold your breath.
Yeah, both TH and THT were part of an abysmal stretch at ISU under a poor coach. I would not be surprised if THT has never looked in the rear view mirror when it comes to ISU. Frankly I am surprised Tyrese thinks so fondly of ISU given his experience and who his coach was.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Yeah, both TH and THT were part of an abysmal stretch at ISU under a poor coach. I would not be surprised if THT has never looked in the rear view mirror when it comes to ISU. Frankly I am surprised Tyrese thinks so fondly of ISU given his experience and who his coach was.

I think he is pretty close to Prohm.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
More speaking generally than about Payton Sandfort specifically.. People don't understand the NBA draft. It's generally older people who are still confused at why Armando Bacot and Hunter Dickinson aren't surefire lottery picks.
Got it. I was confused...frequent event.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I'd rather take Sandfort I guess in the 2nd round than an 18 year old from Azerbaijan who averaged 1.8 ppg in the ABA but both will make a similar impact on an NBA roster

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
Well since some of us watched him play in high school and at Iowa, I'd say we're just as expert as the the Iowa fans.

That would make us more knowledgeable since Iowa fans don't watch MBB . . . .
Kyle Green made the remark at Cyclone Tailgate Tour in Muscatine for Eastern Iowa Cyclone fans to pack CHA this fall when we play Iowa MBB. Should be plenty of tickets available since the Iowa women aren't playing that night.

Texbudman

Nov 20, 2012
Arlington,Tx
I'm not sure I would call it abysmal. Their freshman season did produce 23 wins and a big 12 tourney championship. Now I do agree that they had enough talent to be even better and that Prohm mismanaged them. That Ohio St game was a terrible loss

Pharmacy99

Feb 7, 2013
Am I missing something? I’ve seen the Sandfort kid play 6-8 times now, and he’s not even a good player, let alone an NBA player. He’s a spot up shooter who’s not even very good at that. He doesn’t do anything else even average. He’d play 5 minutes off the bench at most for ISU.
He is a pure shooter. With his size and shooting ability, he will be a good bench player in the NBA

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron