Misc: Trading Cards

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
So I'm trying to get rid of a lot of old stuff, and I have a ton of basketball and baseball cards from late 80s to mid 90s.

Do people still collect cards? Any recommendations for liquidating them?

I pulled these out of an old storage bin and just looking for some change for them.

Attachments

• 20221128_110425.jpg
    20221128_110425.jpg
    625.3 KB · Views: 61
Reactions: CyNews and Tpups21

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Good luck my man. Do some research and try to find a gem but those aren’t great years for value.

Try to trade them for some Pokémon cards.

Reactions: CYISFLY

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Good luck my man. Do some research and try to find a gem but those aren’t great years for value.

Try to trade them for some Pokémon cards.

I know it isn't, that's what one card shop told me. I'm to lazy to look for gems, some decent ones in there but I'm literally wanting to just offload it for like $30-$40 to someone who would even care to.

Lineup

Jan 7, 2017
I know it isn't, that's what one card shop told me. I'm to lazy to look for gems, some decent ones in there but I'm literally wanting to just offload it for like $30-$40 to someone who would even care to.
would take them for my grandson's

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Take that box, fill it up with cards and hot glue it shut. Sell it then. Maybe the next person won’t open it and realize he has a Charles Barkley card in a 1994 baseball packet.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Look up the term "junk wax era."

That's also when I collected sports cards as a kid. I spent a lot of money as a kid, but it was a lot of fun.

I do have one of these, which I think is at least worth some money:
1669668124366.png

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006

That's also when I collected sports cards as a kid. I spent a lot of money as a kid, but it was a lot of fun.

View attachment 106062
I have that entire set. Probably the only one that's worth any decent money.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

View attachment 106062

I heard a podcast recently about how that particular card had to be doctored up (non digital era) to look like a Mariners hat. Was pretty interesting to me as somebody who went into graphic art a few years later.

• Informative
Reactions: Farnsworth

Pat

Oct 20, 2011

View attachment 106062
I also have one, along with several thousand other random pieces of space-wasting cardboard. Apparently to be worth real money, the card will need to be professionally graded and in extra-special-great condition. There have been some, uh, doubts cast on the validity of the card grading racket/business.

As with everything, the sports card market seems to have been ruined by a bunch of MBAs trying to extract as much $ as possible from my generation l, and now it’s something that a kid couldn’t afford even if they did care about baseball. My eldest has decided she’s into Pokémon at the moment, and, by comparison, those dinosaurs(?) seem quaint and reasonable.

Dr.bannedman

liberal
Aug 21, 2012
that island napoleon got sent to
So I'm trying to get rid of a lot of old stuff, and I have a ton of basketball and baseball cards from late 80s to mid 90s.

Do people still collect cards? Any recommendations for liquidating them?

I pulled these out of an old storage bin and just looking for some change for them.

very few cards from those years are worth anything... 80s and 90s are considered the lowest value. they made lots and lots and lots of cards.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I also have one, along with several thousand other random pieces of space-wasting cardboard. Apparently to be worth real money, the card will need to be professionally graded and in extra-special-great condition. There have been some, uh, doubts cast on the validity of the card grading racket/business.

As with everything, the sports card market seems to have been ruined by a bunch of MBAs trying to extract as much $ as possible from my generation l, and now it’s something that a kid couldn’t afford even if they did care about baseball. My eldest has decided she’s into Pokémon at the moment, and, by comparison, those dinosaurs(?) seem quaint and reasonable.
So the thing has been in one of those fancy hard cases untouched for 30 years and as far as I can remember looked like it was in perfect condition. How much could a guy go to a sports card place and sell it for, give or take. Doubt I would ever get it graded unless there was a pretty substantial value.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Damn, I also have a trunk full of late 80's early 90's cards. Was hoping to find I am sitting on a gold mine!

• Agree
Reactions: arobb

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
Damn, I also have a trunk full of late 80's early 90's cards. Was hoping to find I am sitting on a gold mine!

I figure at this point, my kids will inherit them and maybe when they are retiring in 60 years, they might be worth something.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
My oldest brother has been collecting the complete Tops set for the last 35 to 40 years, none of them have been opened, we would get him a set every year for Christmas, no clue of the value of them, but I would think that they would be worth something.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron