TRANSCRIPT: Jamie Pollard this morning on KXnO

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
Not sure if you guys heard this but it's phenomenal. I'm going to write about Pollard's comments on the Big 12's decision yesterday shortly but wanted to post a transcript from some of the juicy moments from his interview on 1460 KXnO's "Morning Rush" here for discussion.

CLICK HERE to listen to the actual audio.

“I am grateful that the presidents came to the conclusion that the athletic directors have been saying for a long time. It’s unfortunate that it went through the public process that it did but in the end, I believe we got to the right spot in the road and that’s what is important.”

How did this happen and why?

“Every institution has its own governing process. As a result, some institutions end up being more governed by political boards and regents who are very heavily involved and it’s a topic that clearly has a multitude of opinions from a lot of people who have never been and will never be in an AD’s room or in the locker room. As a result, I think people can kind of swing from the branches if they are not grounded on where they want to go. I think that is my observation. That is kind of what played out here. In the end, the AD’s have been saying this since it all started really about 18 months ago when we ended up not getting a team in the first College Football Playoff. That started a cycle of everyone trying to figure out why and how you could fix that. I am hopeful now that the people who are making the decisions, that has ended. Now people are going to speculate for probably another couple of weeks but then hopefully they are going to move on to other subjects because we have set in stone what we are going to do now.”

“We made good fodder for a lot of people. I understand why people joke about it or are sarcastic about it because I probably would be too if I was on the outside. Because in the end, that’s the hand we were dealt when the president of Oklahoma came out and said what he did, Commissioner Bowlsby was kind of forced into having to go through this process. I think more good probably did come out of the process because of where we are now ending but I don’t fault anybody for making a mockery of the process from the outside because if you were on the outside, that’s what it looked like. There was more strategy to it than most people care to know or understand, but all of that is water over the damn because it is over. We are back to where we should have been from the get-go.”

“I want what is best for Iowa State, which is to be in a Power 5 conference. The best way for Iowa State to be in a Power 5 conference is for the Big 12 to be healthy, strong and fit. When I sit in a room with a group of athletic directors who believe that 10 is the best model, I’m going to go with that 10.”

“When I hear people say Texas and Oklahoma this, I laugh because I’m in the room and that isn’t the case. The Big 12 exists because we have Texas and Oklahoma in the room. If we take Texas and Oklahoma out of the room, we are in the Mountain West Conference and we are going to get $3 million. It would be like somebody saying, ‘We don’t want Georges Niang on our team because he takes too many shots. Okay. We can take Georges Niang off of our team and let’s see how good we would have been the last couple of years. We have two star players whether people want to like that or not – Texas and Oklahoma. I am glad to be on a team that has two great players and we benefit from being on that team. We can go play on a weaker team and be the star but then everybody will be saying, ‘How do you get us in one of those Power 5 conferences Mr. AD?’”

“The Pac-12, I’m not so sure about that one because there is a lot of turmoil in the Pac-12, but hopefully they will renew their contract and then it will be our turn. Where the television industry will be at that time, who knows? What we do know is in the last couple of years, the television industry has completely changed because of the new technology and the cord cutting. Eight years from now I will be 60 and have been at Iowa State for 20 years. Eight years is a friggin’ lifetime.”

“What I do know is that at 10, we give ourselves a lot more flexibility down the road vs. maybe adding members that would only clutter up the process. I have people who say that Texas and Oklahoma are going to bolt, well if Texas and Oklahoma don’t want us to add any members, I guarantee you that if we add members and forced it on them, they would bolt. That’s a part of this process that people aren’t thinking about. Make sure whatever move you make doesn’t change what you can do in the future.”

Clonegrad07

Jul 22, 2008
North Carolina
He can say what he will, but I just truly believe the Big 12 will be defunct in a few years. They sat back and waited for the Big 10 and ACC and Pac 12 to expand last time, and they did... swallowing up some of the Big 12 members. If they think that won't happen again as the money stakes get raised, they're naive and poor at their job. The Big 12 needs 12-14 strong schools to remain viable.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
“What I do know is that at 10, we give ourselves a lot more flexibility down the road vs. maybe adding members that would only clutter up the process. I have people who say that Texas and Oklahoma are going to bolt, well if Texas and Oklahoma don’t want us to add any members, I guarantee you that if we add members and forced it on them, they would bolt. That’s a part of this process that people aren’t thinking about. Make sure whatever move you make doesn’t change what you can do in the future.”

This is the one that scares me. So, don't piss them off, because then they'll leave.

Well, what happens 5-10 years from now when they're pissed that Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Texas Tech, and West Virginia are the reason the Big 12 looks like a weak conference?

That being said, adding any of these other schools would've made us look weaker.

CycloneWarning

Jan 14, 2008
Appreciate JP's frankness that UT and OU are the star players. Our fans may hate it and hate dealing with the arrogance of UT and OU, but ISU cannot survive in a P5 conference without them. If they want expansion, we should vote yes. If they don't, agree with that also. We are delusional if we think ISU has any influence in the matter.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Appreciate JP's frankness that UT and OU are the star players. Our fans may hate it and hate dealing with the arrogance of UT and OU, but ISU cannot survive in a P5 conference without them. If they want expansion, we should vote yes. If they don't, agree with that also. We are delusional if we think ISU has any influence in the matter.

They do drive the bottom line of any TV contract. We have to be able to admit that.

• Agree
Reactions: ImJustKCClone

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
He can say what he will, but I just truly believe the Big 12 will be defunct in a few years. They sat back and waited for the Big 10 and ACC and Pac 12 to expand last time, and they did... swallowing up some of the Big 12 members. If they think that won't happen again as the money stakes get raised, they're naive and poor at their job. The Big 12 needs 12-14 strong schools to remain viable.
I agree but with who? Not Cincinnati or Houston if that is what you're thinking. Obviously the schools that applied didn't appeal to the conference. Maybe in a few years a couple Pac 12 schools will have wandering eyes if their TV contract is not what they expected and they only have 1 other conference that geographically makes sense.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
It's amazing that loud mouth Boren truly started this whole thing with not understanding numbers.

Doomsdayers will say what they want. But Jamie is right, staying at 10 and being flexible is the right thing to do. ISU has been pitching to the conference to lay the foundation for the next generation of media with a digital network that the conference itself controls. The conference seems to be listening. Last year Cyclones.TV made 3 million for ISU. That was the same number for the entire Pac 12 network.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
I agree but with who? Not Cincinnati or Houston if that is what you're thinking. Obviously the schools that applied didn't appeal to the conference. Maybe in a few years a couple Pac 12 schools will have wandering eyes if their TV contract is not what they expected and they only have 1 other conference that geographically makes sense.

I honestly think that is part of the plan. People can flame at the Big 12 all they want but the third tier rights model is very attractive to schools that can capitalize off of it.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Big 8>Current B12>Old Big 12

I do not want us to expand as I love the playing everyone.
I do want us to expand as I think that helps with league longevity.

So I don't know what I want. Thank God Iowa State has Jamie Pollard. I do know that.
He is honest, doesn't sugar coat, is quiet when it matters, talks when it matters.
We are fortunate he is steering the ship.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
I'm hoping that CMC will build up a nice powerhouse football team, making the conference look more attractive come negotiation time. We already hold our own in basketball. It can only help in keeping the Big 12 together. Biggest mistake this conference ever made was letting in UT in the 1st place.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
It's amazing that loud mouth Boren truly started this whole thing with not understanding numbers.

Doomsdayers will say what they want. But Jamie is right, staying at 10 and being flexible is the right thing to do. ISU has been pitching to the conference to lay the foundation for the next generation of media with a digital network that the conference itself controls. The conference seems to be listening. Last year Cyclones.TV made 3 million for ISU. That was the same number for the entire Pac 12 network.

Really, I am surprised it was that much. Not bashing you, but where did you see that from?

I agree your comments on Boren. Take it for what its worth, but in the expansion thread, someone posted something from an orangebloods poster which showed the series of events that took place and why Boren did what he did (which was all wrong). Reading what Jamie said has similarities to what the orangebloods poster said.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
The Big 12 needs 12-14 strong schools to remain viable.

The Big 12 needs UT and OU to remain viable. If there were another 2 strong schools, they would have added them and it would have been a good move. But whether we add any combo of BYU, Houston, Cinci, and whomever, if either UT or OU chooses to leave when the GOR is up, the conference as we know it is done.

• Agree
Reactions: KnappShack

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
So in a nutshell Texas and OU own the plantation and the other 8 are the folks who work in the fields.

Is what it is I guess this situation was set in motion long ago and nothing anybody can do about it now.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
Really, I am surprised it was that much. Not bashing you, but where did you see that from?

I agree your comments on Boren. Take it for what its worth, but in the expansion thread, someone posted something from an orangebloods poster which showed the series of events that took place and why Boren did what he did (which was all wrong). Reading what Jamie said has similarities to what the orangebloods poster said.

I know everyone says this but I have a "source". Ha. Nothing in concrete numbers just talk over some beers with a friend that works in the AD. Let's just say he knows a thing or two about Cyclones.TV.

Reactions: isutrevman