Transfer Portal Post-NIL

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
As a former player I wonder how this feels to you.

Let's say you come to Knapp State. You kill it. Outstanding season and we even get a little press on ESPN+

Alabama comes calling. NIL numbers that are eye opening.

How easy is it for a player to make the jump? Is it naive to think education and relationships come into play at all?

We have a 6 star culture at Knapp State. Our academics are solid. Worth it to make the jump? Money talks and everything else walks?

IMO opinion, it's pretty easy. Get to the bigger program with more exposure, a chance at championships, a route to the NFL and get pad more NIL $ than the current school can pay you.

Hate to say it but it's a no brainer.

We all expect Breece to be an NFL guy, but if Bama comes calling that's more exposure and instantly gives his skills more credibility because he's at Bama and in the SEC. Right or wrong that's how it works.

EnhancedFujita

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2013
Johnston
You'd have to think that the whole of CFB financially is a bubble that'll burst sooner or later. You can't keep piling on all these costs and then expect the revenue to be there to cover it. Eventually it has to right size itself. ESPN/SEC seem to be taking the one mega-league of football powers approach, but that doesn't carry a lot of broad CFB interest that CFB as we knew it had. The remaining leagues would do themselves and the sport a big favor if they'd organize together into one league to oppose the SEC but put into place rules and regulations to keep the things everyone likes about CFB together while more formally recognizing players as employees with a salary package and more definitive NIL rules. Would help stabilize everything a bit for the longterm of CFB, otherwise things look a little grim.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Pro leagues avoid anti-trust primarily because the employees have union representation - collective bargaining.

I think the answer to all this (should be, anyway) a new "commissioners office" like MLB or NFL or NBA with real authority. Create a CBA with the college players; you can cover NIL, transfer rules to make poaching less damaging, maybe even some partial revenue sharing to prevent too much imbalance. This would be the smart and logical way to do it, imho, so of course it's unlikely to happen.

The alternative is letting SEC/ESPN turn themselves into MLB while everyone else becomes the minor leagues to find/develop players that they can come in and buy later. Have to hope the Alliance and (god help us) the gubmint force it a better direction.
giphy.gif

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
You'd have to think that the whole of CFB financially is a bubble that'll burst sooner or later. You can't keep piling on all these costs and then expect the revenue to be there to cover it. Eventually it has to right size itself. ESPN/SEC seem to be taking the one mega-league of football powers approach, but that doesn't carry a lot of broad CFB interest that CFB as we knew it had. The remaining leagues would do themselves and the sport a big favor if they'd organize together into one league to oppose the SEC but put into place rules and regulations to keep the things everyone likes about CFB together while more formally recognizing players as employees with a salary package and more definitive NIL rules. Would help stabilize everything a bit for the longterm of CFB, otherwise things look a little grim.

But the NIL isn't funded by the schools themselves or the media money. It is funded by business owners and businesses that LOVE their respective teams and want them to have the best players possible.

There isn't a bubble for someone's passion until they no longer have the money to support it.

EnhancedFujita

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2013
Johnston
But the NIL isn't funded by the schools themselves or the media money. It is funded by business owners and businesses that LOVE their respective teams and want them to have the best players possible.

There isn't a bubble for someone's passion until they no longer have the money to support it.

I think if you have a set of bylaws that spell out rules you can address that fact. You'd have to say the athletes are employees and set a base pay for them, maybe everybody gets the same, and then that comes with a contract that has transfer rules and would prevent them from jumping to the SEC if they were they're own standalone thing. Then the NIL rules exist to supplement that, so the Breece can still do endorsement deals on his own. It'd be no different than an NBA player signing a shoe deal that exists outside their contract with their team.

RClone

Dec 8, 2019
Tic Tic Tic ... the Big Bang demolition of college football has already been set in motion ... to wit: TexOu harvesting and Greed.from NIL to "conference realignment." God speed John Glenn!

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013

I think you have to expect some or much of that money is going to be diverted from what they may normally have donates to the ADs in the past. So even if the NIL isn't funded by the schools, I think that's probably dollars that to at least some extent would've otherwise been donated. I guess we'll see.

Also, it sure seems like the court ruling opens the door to direct payment by the schools. It's not like schools can collude to stop it.

In the end, the bubble risk is pretty legitimate. You've got a negative attendance trend, and if last year was any indication at all you've got a negative viewership trend. Coaches salaries and operating costs keep going up, and you have the potential for a chunk of AD donation money now instead going straight to players from donors and businesses.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
I’m having trouble wrapping my head around the idea that public universities would ever be considered a for-profit institution by the courts. Matt Campbell and Kirk Ferentz are state employees.
True - they are state employees. The legal theory would be the universities are hiding these highly profitable divisions (athletic departments) within a non-profit. Who would have thought the top 10 endowments for universities are now paying a tax on endowment balances over $20 billion(??). These foundations are non-profit entities but are paying a "tax " How many non-profits have employees making a $10 million salary? Universities are aware of this situation, especially since the tax action on endowments of the larger foundations

• Informative
Reactions: CyTwister

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
I agree
Pro leagues avoid anti-trust primarily because the employees have union representation - collective bargaining.

I think the answer to all this (should be, anyway) a new "commissioners office" like MLB or NFL or NBA with real authority. Create a CBA with the college players; you can cover NIL, transfer rules to make poaching less damaging, maybe even some partial revenue sharing to prevent too much imbalance. This would be the smart and logical way to do it, imho, so of course it's unlikely to happen.

The alternative is letting SEC/ESPN turn themselves into MLB while everyone else becomes the minor leagues to find/develop players that they can come in and buy later. Have to hope the Alliance and (god help us) the gubmint force it a better direction.
Ii agree - gave that answer somewhere above.....

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I think if you have a set of bylaws that spell out rules you can address that fact. You'd have to say the athletes are employees and set a base pay for them, maybe everybody gets the same, and then that comes with a contract that has transfer rules and would prevent them from jumping to the SEC if they were they're own standalone thing. Then the NIL rules exist to supplement that, so the Breece can still do endorsement deals on his own. It'd be no different than an NBA player signing a shoe deal that exists outside their contract with their team.
I have a very difficult time believing that more restrictive transfer rules have any chance of being implemented without the schools officially paying players as employees. And to be clear, that's exactly what you are suggesting in your post, so I'm not trying to contradict you. I'm just reinforcing that there's just no other way that's likely to happen.

Reactions: CyTwister

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
The scenario might happen on occasion, but Gary is greatly exaggerating how often it will happen. SEC schools would have to run off a bunch of their players for this to happen.
Couldn't the Obama's of the world just bring them in as walk ons? Just send the walk ons packing and load up with players that have been developed elsewhere.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Couldn't the Obama's of the world just bring them in as walk ons? Just send the walk ons packing and load up with players that have been developed elsewhere.

Not sure who the Obama's are, but isn't this the path back for Nebraska football?

Pack the roster full of scholarship worthy walk-ons paid for by the local Ford dealership?

• Funny
Reactions: khardbored

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
This is just beginning. And going to a blue blood for a few 100k is much easier than making a roster on the NFL. We lose a Purdy, Hall and Rose as sophomore's, this season will have taken on an entire new outlook. I can't imagine after his first 2,000 yard season had an Alabama came after Troy Davis with a huge bag of money him saying "no......I love ISU and Danny Mac". I repeat......this is only beginning.
GraveVigilantAlbatross-size_restricted.gif

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
More Patterson news.
He's accusing SMU of injuring Jerry Kill. He's mad because he thinks their post game celebration was premeditated. He wants to sue them for using his song to make fun of him.

I don't know...Gary Patterson might just be a hothead and a blowhard.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
More Patterson news.
He's accusing SMU of injuring Jerry Kill. He's mad because he thinks their post game celebration was premeditated. He wants to sue them for using his song to make fun of him.

old-man-yells-at-cloud-yelling.gif

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
More Patterson news.

I don't know he was right about Baylor and Briles.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
What's happening in regards to NIL is so far skewed from the original intent.

I don't really know that there was an intent. It's just something that had to be allowed, and now it will have to sort itself out. I would expect that many contracts will continue to be issued as a donation of sorts to their preferred programs, and others that are actually intended to generate desired results will be evaluated more heavily. Can a business make money with a contract to the third best player on a locally relevant team (or nationally relevant team)? We'll see.

Last edited:

CloneAlta

Sep 9, 2010
Kansas City, MO
www.floorplanonline.com
January is about to get very interesting as NIL brings a whole new layer to transfer season, it looks like the SEC is already offering players money to leave. This does not leave small market teams who depend on developing 3-star players in a great place.

Gary Patterson says SEC schools trying to poach player on his roster (usatoday.com)
NIL poaching is EXACTLY what I feared most about this. What authority is there anymore to stop this from becoming the wild wild west? The SEC and EXPN will create a semi pro league that is a new level between college FB and the NFL.

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
I don't really know that there was an intent. It's just something that had to be allowed, and now it will have to sort itself out. I would expect that many contracts will continue to be issued as a donation of sorts to their preferred programs, and others that are actually intended to generate desired results will be evaluated more heavily. Can a business make money with a contract to the third best player on a locally relevant team (or nationally relevant team)? We'll see.
I agree that it's something that just had to happen as it was a clear exploitation of the student athletes with the prior system. I also agree that there is a small chance this all works itself out in the end. What value is the business in Tuscaloosa going to get paying the 4-star 3rd stringer? Would the business in Ames be willing to offer more for him to be in all the central Iowa papers?

Like you said, we'll see.

Reactions: Cyclonepride