Transmission repair central Iowa

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
I got some awesome news that my car will need a new transmission, and the quote was more than I thought it would be. Can anyone recommend a mechanic in the area that does good work at a fair price on a transmission replacement? I'm assuming a smaller town mechanic would be cheaper than someone in the metro, but I could be way off on this.

CycloneSpinning

Mar 31, 2022
I got some awesome news that my car will need a new transmission, and the quote was more than I thought it would be. Can anyone recommend a mechanic in the area that does good work at a fair price on a transmission replacement? I'm assuming a smaller town mechanic would be cheaper than someone in the metro, but I could be way off on this.
I’ve had good luck with both All Drive and Knudson. All Drive will likely be able to get you in quicker. Also a lot of small town guys won’t touch transmissions.

Reactions: CloneGuy8

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
What do you consider fair? Or too much? May be helpful.

cyfreddy

Oct 15, 2006
I agree with All Drive Transmission on Martin Luther King Drive!

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
What do you consider fair? Or too much? May be helpful.
Would like to keep it under 6k. The quote I got was 8k, but this was a chain mechanic shop so was hoping other places were less.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Would like to keep it under 6k. The quote I got was 8k, but this was a chain mechanic shop so was hoping other places were less.
Yeah, that seems high to me. I’m NC Iowa so I can’t help you much on that. With that price, you want to make sure you have several years left in it.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
Tony Johnson, who owns Ankeny Tire & Battery, is a really good guy and a great mechanic. I've taken all of my car issues to him for many years and he's always been extremely fair regarding the cost. He's very trustworthy.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
It's been quite a few years, but Advance Transmission in Knoxville.

ISUATC

Feb 1, 2007
Not sure what make and model you have, but 3-4k for a rebuilt tranny seems to be the going rate last I knew. Have you looked into getting one from a salvage yard? May save you a few dollars.
A chain mechanic is probably not doing the work themselves, but shopping it out.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Yeah, that seems high to me. I’m NC Iowa so I can’t help you much on that. With that price, you want to make sure you have several years left in it.
Yeah, that's the debate I've been having. Its a 12 Lexus with 135k miles on it; very annoyed as the whole reason I bought a Lexus was this stuff wasn't supposed to be an issue with them. The used car market is pricey right now, so I think it still makes sense to fix it

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Yeah, that's the debate I've been having. Its a 12 Lexus with 135k miles on it; very annoyed as the whole reason I bought a Lexus was this stuff wasn't supposed to be an issue with them. The used car market is pricey right now, so I think it still makes sense to fix it
That's basically a Toyota and should last double that mileage before issues.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Not sure what make and model you have, but 3-4k for a rebuilt tranny seems to be the going rate last I knew. Have you looked into getting one from a salvage yard? May save you a few dollars.
I've looked at a couple junkyards online, but no luck so far. Its a Lexus, and the mechanic said since transmission issues are rare with them, its pretty much impossivle to find a brand new one.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
That's basically a Toyota and should last double that mileage before issues.
Yup. My Camry is a champ and every other Toyota I've owned has been great; not sure why this happened. Nothing is guaranteed I guess.

cowboycurtis

Jul 20, 2006
I took a Rodeo to one mechanic that said the transmission was junk and would cost $3000 to replace. Wanted a second opinion and took it to another that flushed it and changed the filters for $200 and it lasted 3 more years before we traded it off.

ISUATC

Feb 1, 2007
I took a Rodeo to one mechanic that said the transmission was junk and would cost $3000 to replace. Wanted a second opinion and took it to another that flushed it and changed the filters for $200 and it lasted 3 more years before we traded it off.
Yep, try the flush as well. A lot cheaper.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Yeah I tried a flush last week, but unfortunately didn't fix anything and actually made the shifting rougher.

CycloneSpinning

Mar 31, 2022
Yeah I tried a flush last week, but unfortunately didn't fix anything and actually made the shifting
Honestly for your situation, I would probably call Knudson. He’ll go for a drive with you and give you a good idea what he thinks he can do. Might be that the flush wasn’t done well enough…or maybe you’ll need a rebuild. I’m confident you’ll feel like you’re in good hands either way…and that he’ll give you good advice as to how to proceed.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Honestly for your situation, I would probably call Knudson. He’ll go for a drive with you and give you a good idea what he thinks he can do. Might be that the flush wasn’t done well enough…or maybe you’ll need a rebuild. I’m confident you’ll feel like you’re in good hands either way…and that he’ll give you good advice as to how to proceed.
In your experience with Knudson, did you feel like the pricing was fair?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron