Tuesday OT: a business from your childhood that is extinct

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Was Farleys in Valley Junction? I think I played laser tag there.
I believe Farley's was in that strip mall on the south side of Euclid just east of MLK. Across from where Target used to be.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I believe Farley's was in that strip mall on the south side of Euclid just east of MLK. Across from where Target used to be.
I thought there used to be something in VJ off of Grand where Fareway is now. Maybe it was a different business.

Reactions: cyfan21

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
Last I saw there was still a Breadeaux in Jefferson, my home town. Bishops Buffet at Merle Hay Mall was such a treat as a kid. On the corner by the mall was Henry's Hamburgers. Loved that too! Fifteen cents for a hamburger, same price for fries.

4cy16

Jun 14, 2021
Last I saw there was still a Breadeaux in Jefferson, my home town. Bishops Buffet at Merle Hay Mall was such a treat as a kid. On the corner by the mall was Henry's Hamburgers. Loved that too! Fifteen cents for a hamburger, same price for fries.
We used to have 2 Henry's in FD.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
I grew up in North and NE Iowa...not a chain, but my family would at least twice annually make the almost hour long trek to St Ansgar to eat at Paradise Pizza. No idea if it's still there, as I haven't been anywhere near St Ansgar in 15ish years, but that was the best pizza I think I have ever eaten.

Some other landmarks in the area that are no longer: the aforementioned Kmart and Pamidas. Easters and Econo Foods grocery stores. Alco. Shopko. Aladdin's Castle. In Mason City, there once was an entire strip mall on the South end of town off Highway 65, bustling with businesses that have all since went under -- Sears and Big Lots were the big box stores, and I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting. Also the Rose Bowl had a fire in the early 2000s and never reopened. I remember a lot of my childhood bowling happening there and was surprised Mason City never opened a new one, or at least haven't that I know of.

A bit of a tangent, but seems like bowling alleys, roller skating rinks, and ice skating rinks have really gone by the way side just overall in our society. I can't seem to understand why this has happened.
Paradise is still there, last I knew, Think I saw it was last summer when I was in St Ansgar.

Keep in mind the original owners sold it about 10-15 years ago.

• Informative
Reactions: Cyinthenorth

Malone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 7, 2010
Des Moines
Which Dave's?

Ground round!!! Where kids had to weigh in for the price of their kids meal! That wouldnt fly these days

Ah yes. My smoking cover.

Great list.
Made many bicycle trips to the Dave’s in the strip mall on 86th.

Also worth noting that Ground Round had free wings. How the times change.