Tuition Costs Up Again?

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
If you're graduating with 100s of thousands of dollars of debt from attending Iowa State you're a moron. Just about anyone can afford 2 years of CC and two years at a state college. Unfortunately too many people think they have a right to attend a 30k-40k/year college and when they graduate with 100k plus in debt they're the "victim" when in reality they're just morons with no common sense.

ISU is one of the most affordable schools you can attend. Most people will have to spend over 100k for college in this country.

And you said "just about anyone can afford to attend 2 years of CC and 2 years at a state college". That right there shows how out of touch you are with how most people live. You and I can likely afford that, but not "just about everyone".

• Disagree
Reactions: Macloney

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I understand how tuition will go up as the demand for college keeps going up, however, that has nothing to do with whether or not it's affordable.

In the 2000's many, many people were buying houses they could never afford too, and we all saw how that worked out for the country in 2008, didn't we.

Also, a question for some of you.... is a K-12 education a right in this country? It's not only a right, it's required by law. But why does that stop at grade 12? That's all Bernie Sanders was asking.

Because from there on, there are many different paths someone could take. Some could not go to any college and be successful, some could go to a tech school for two years and be successful, some may go to school for 10 years to be a doctor and be successful. That's the whole point. So, if want to give everyone "free tuition" where are you drawing that line?

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
ISU is one of the most affordable schools you can attend. Most people will have to spend over 100k for college in this country.

And you said "just about anyone can afford to attend 2 years of CC and 2 years at a state college". That right there shows how out of touch you are with how most people live. You and I can likely afford that, but not "just about everyone".

Most people could find funding for a community college, at the very least.

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
1. Health Care Providers are already compelled to give people Health Care under EMTALA.

2. Health Care is not a Free Market.

1. You are correct. That's why emergency rooms are such great places to show up and get help for routine medical procedures (sarcasm). Actually, they are what the full system will look like when everyone is "guaranteed" health care as a right.

2. Yup. And that's why the system is broken.

Like I said, it's very emotionally satisfying to rail against those people (the greedy, the rich, the uncaring, etc.) as opposed to figuring out what works and what doesn't work for a nation of 300M individuals. If I had my way, I would like to give you your single payer system and even support it with my taxes as long as you would allow me to opt out and make my own arrangements in a market driven system.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Let's just make college harder and harder for people to afford so only the wealthy can afford it, sounds like a great world.

Our values in this country are so backwards it isn't even funny. In other countries you have very affordable (sometimes free) college, and you also have healthcare as a right. They put a huge priority on investing in the people, and they understand how important it is to have an educated society.

Not in America, it's exactly the opposite. We're trying to dumb down the people and have them uneducated, poor, not in good health, etc..... and then they will elect guys like Trump for president because they don't know any better.

It just drives me insane what we tell the kids of this country. Yeah, you should go to college, but unfortunately only the top 5% of people can afford it, so you better hope your'e born into a wealthy family, or too bad.

The mechanism that's making that happen is money flowing from the government to encourage higher attendance.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
1. You are correct. That's why emergency rooms are such great places to show up and get help for routine medical procedures (sarcasm). Actually, they are what the full system will look like when everyone is "guaranteed" health care as a right.

2. Yup. And that's why the system is broken.

Like I said, it's very emotionally satisfying to rail against those people (the greedy, the rich, the uncaring, etc.) as opposed to figuring out what works and what doesn't work for a nation of 300M individuals. If I had my way, I would like to give you your single payer system and even support it with my taxes as long as you would allow me to opt out and make my own arrangements in a market driven system.

People show up at the Emergency Room for Health Care because they have NO Health Insurance. That is the only way they can get Health Care is through the Emergency room.

Your argument that people would flock to the Emergency Room if they had Health Insurance is complete BS. Give people Health Insurance and they do not go to the Emergency Room. Where do you come up with your false claims? From Trump's Alternative Facts?

• Agree
Reactions: cowgirl836

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
People show up at the Emergency Room for Health Care because they have NO Health Insurance. That is the only way they can get Health Care is through the Emergency room.

Your argument that people would flock to the Emergency Room if they had Health Insurance is complete BS. Give people Health Insurance and they do not go to the Emergency Room. Where do you come up with your false claims? From Trump's Alternative Facts?

I think you missed the point on both accounts but that's OK. I'm also pretty sure you've never seen an emergency room here in the People's Republic of California, or for that matter any large city in the US. I'm also reasonably confident you've never really studied outcomes in the British National Health Service or other top down systems across the world. These are complicated questions with real life consequences for everybody. There are potential solutions (NONE of them perfect) but you have to get past the Trump Sucks/Hillary Sucks, Tastes Great/Less Filling kind of political argument that keeps both sides feeling really good about their moral superiority. We should be unleashing a whole bunch of experimentation and innovation across this country when it comes to health delivery and finance. Instead we're waiting for a bunch of self aggrandizing morons in Washington DC who know next to nothing about the subject to tell us how to manage our affairs. What could go wrong there?

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
I think you missed the point on both accounts but that's OK. I'm also pretty sure you've never seen an emergency room here in the People's Republic of California, or for that matter any large city in the US. I'm also reasonably confident you've never really studied outcomes in the British National Health Service or other top down systems across the world. These are complicated questions with real life consequences for everybody. There are potential solutions (NONE of them perfect) but you have to get past the Trump Sucks/Hillary Sucks, Tastes Great/Less Filling kind of political argument that keeps both sides feeling really good about their moral superiority. We should be unleashing a whole bunch of experimentation and innovation across this country when it comes to health delivery and finance. Instead we're waiting for a bunch of self aggrandizing morons in Washington DC who know next to nothing about the subject to tell us how to manage our affairs. What could go wrong there?

What we should be implementing is Medicare For All. We can leverage Payments to Health Care Providers. We would have the Big Pool of People to spread costs over. Eliminate the Bureaucratic Waste and Profit Motives of Private Health Insurance.

• Winner
Reactions: clonedude

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
What we should be implementing is Medicare For All. We can leverage Payments to Health Care Providers. We would have the Big Pool of People to spread costs over. Eliminate the Bureaucratic Waste and Profit Motives of Private Health Insurance.

The cadence of this writing (short sentences that are clear, even with questionable syntax and lots of repetition) and its simplistic "a perfect solution would be so easy" is positively Trumpian.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Because from there on, there are many different paths someone could take. Some could not go to any college and be successful, some could go to a tech school for two years and be successful, some may go to school for 10 years to be a doctor and be successful. That's the whole point. So, if want to give everyone "free tuition" where are you drawing that line?

Most people could find funding for a community college, at the very least.

STOP MAKING SENSE

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010

I fully support establishment of government run clinics, hospitals etc. with guaranteed care for those that want a safety net system. If that works for them, that's fine. I just don't want to be compelled to be part of that system which will inevitably have a rationing function controlled by Congress and the DC bureaucracy (See VA healthcare).

I want to be free to contract with a private party to buy a true insurance policy to manage catastrophic risk. For any medical needs below that major threshold, I am willing to pay out of pocket. In exchange for my cash payment to a provider, I want a good customer experience.

Doctors and other providers can choose which system they want to be part of. Some will choose to work for the government, some will choose the private system.

There's no reason we both can't get what we want.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
I fully support establishment of government run clinics, hospitals etc. with guaranteed care for those that want a safety net system. If that works for them, that's fine. I just don't want to be compelled to be part of that system which will inevitably have a rationing function controlled by Congress and the DC bureaucracy (See VA healthcare).

I want to be free to contract with a private party to buy a true insurance policy to manage catastrophic risk. For any medical needs below that major threshold, I am willing to pay out of pocket. In exchange for my cash payment to a provider, I want a good customer experience.

Doctors and other providers can choose which system they want to be part of. Some will choose to work for the government, some will choose the private system.

There's no reason we both can't get what we want.

I am not advocating a Nationalistic Health Care System like VA. In fact what you are advocating is pretty stupid. It sounds like you want a system of Government owned facilities and Doctors to provide Health Care in the USA. So are you going to have these Government Owned Clinics in every County in every State? Sounds awfully expensive and duplicates facilities. Where do you come up with these ideas?

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
So many people seem to be confused with Single Payer Health Insurance and Private Providers and Facilities and what the VA really is.

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
I am not advocating a Nationalistic Health Care System like VA. In fact what you are advocating is pretty stupid. It sounds like you want a system of Government owned facilities and Doctors to provide Health Care in the USA. So are you going to have these Government Owned Clinics in every County in every State? Sounds awfully expensive and duplicates facilities. Where do you come up with these ideas?

Well that civil discussion lasted about one post. Have a great day Stormin.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Well that civil discussion lasted about one post. Have a great day Stormin.

You don't seem to understand that our present health care system provides care to those with private health insurance as well as a whole demographic of our population that is on a Single Payer Health Insurance called Medicare.

And you totally dodged explaining where your completely new system of Government owned Health Care Facilities is going to be located for those in need. Expecting people that are poor to travel hundreds of miles to get to one of your Government facilities is a bit ridiculous.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
So you don't understand supply and demand, then.
You dont understand that not everything is a business and more and more people are going to need to have a higher education level to function in society moving forward. Just as at one point we decided high school was more necessary and expected, so it is becoming with college.

This problem isnt a function of supply and demand. This problem is a function of the fact that year over year the state has not kept up to the per-student funding levels it used to fund. Gotta fund those tax breaks for the corporations and the wealthy somehow.

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC