Turning the corner...

TheCaptain

Bookie
Jul 2, 2009
Iowa
Talent wise.
For the first time since I have been a part of this program,(mid 1980's) I think its time to say we have turned that corner,talent wise, on becoming the program we want it to be.
After watching some practices and film, I feel its safe to say that it is obvious that the oulook is good.
The talent level is much better than I have seen in about 30 years.I'm not talking wins and losses-just the overall talent pool of the program.
Hell...I played with guys that wouldnt even make the roster this year.And not that talent means much because I was never highly touted out of HS...but I became someone and realize that talent usually wins.
You guys that know me know what I mean.I was an 8th round draft pick and ended up with a 9 year career in the League. I would like to think I can spot talent.

I guess my point of all this is to let you guys know that the football program is on the rise -talent wise.
I'm excited for the future.
I have seen a major increase in team speed on defense.Along with that has been better coaching and better tackling technique.
Yancy McKnight is the real deal. He's better than some coaches I worked with in my time in the league.That means alot.
His prowess will show in the next few years with the OL and DL..

Chris Klenakis will make them big boys very good. He knows football. He can flat out coach football.
O-Line is very important and he was the right hire.
I could go on and on with reasons why the program is in its best shape in 30 odd years...but you get the picture.
Bottom line is the talent level has increased.
I'm hoping and expecting that means more wins.

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
A statement about the program from Cap, followed by a statement about the program from Clones21. That's kind of like Vin Scully followed by Skip Bayless.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Oh yeah Iowa State is the most talented all around its ever been, even our backups are far more talented than guys who have started previously! Which is another great thing, depth!

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I'm hoping and expecting that means more wins.

Thank you very much for your insight. It is always very appreciated.

My one followup question is: do you think the talent will translate into wins this year? It just seems to me like we are going to have one step back before the talent kicks in.

TheCaptain

Bookie
Jul 2, 2009
Iowa
I could go on and on but as you guys can tell I suck at typing and putting my thoughts on the screen accuractly.
I know alot of you guys and get asked constantly to put up my thoughts.
I think things are good,The talent level is better thanI've seen in 30 years.

Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park

My one followup question is: do you think the talent will translate into wins this year? It just seems to me like we are going to have one step back before the talent kicks in.

Personally I think we will be right around the 6-6 mark again just based on talent alone. We have the talent to do better, but that might not translate for another year or two while they gain more experience and chemistry together.

TheCaptain

Bookie
Jul 2, 2009
Iowa

I honestly dont know. I hope so but that isnt my primary concern. The overall health of the program is.
I still think we a year or two away from winning the B12 and all that comes with it.

Reactions: nickcyv

Help Support Us

Become a patron