MLB: Twins fans 2nd half GM

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
If Justin comes back at even 80% of his MVP talent, the Twins will be fine. The only moves I would make is to trade Young and Capps.

FDWxMan

Jan 31, 2009
Des Moines
A couple of tidbits from Joe C's chat on the StarTribune today...from what we discussed earlier.

On trading Lirano:
12:14

Joe C.:
Hey bud, one question at a time. Let's start with buy or sell. I agree that a combo of both isn't a bad idea. Maybe they shock the world and trade Liriano in the middle of all this, looking to sell high, bolster their system, etc. They'd still have enough starting pitching to finish the season.
12:24

Joe C.:
I heard the Yankees made a push in spring training. Some fans might be furious that we're even talking about this. But when you look at the trade market, there's no Cliff Lee available. Teams that want starting might be willing to take a chance. Call me crazy, but I think selling high on Liriano (for a big package of prospects) would be smarter than hoping he finally blossoms into a consistent ace here. Remember, he's a free agent after 2012 and there have been NO talks of a long-term deal.

On Kyle Gibson debuting:
12:37

Joe C.:
Well, I think he's ready. He's done everything he can at Rochester. Again, he hasn't quite dominated the way Garza, Baker, Slowey and some of the others did at that stage, but he's very polished and will be very good. I think in some ways it's good that he's learned what it's like to take a few lumps this year in Class AAA. They always say, some of these stud prospects need to learn what it's like to fail a little, too.
Full chat transcript

Whin4Cy

Mar 7, 2008
Iowa
Look to trade Liriano for lots of prospects to help farm.
Look to trade Slowey for anything that could help.
Look to trade Young for hitting position player to help team or hitting prospect(s) for farm.

Keep Cuddyer (and resign after season).
Keep Kubel (need the bat - Thome won't be back next year - look to resign, not sure if will be possible or not).
Keep Span and Revere (need the speed and youth).
Keep Morneau (if comes back healthy will provide boost to offense and won't get a good deal for right now anyway)

Hopefully, this won't affect team chemistry too much and they will come out firing after the break and be the team we think they can be.

RhoadsRage

I AM SO PROUD....
Bookie
Jan 25, 2010
McGregor
Outside of some bullpen reconstruction, I just don't see what the Twins have for needs. They'll be getting a lot of new players after the break without having to make any trades when guys like Span, Kubel, and Young comeback. Kubel will give the Twins more options as who to start in the DH spot. Young, while he is the worst fielding outfielder in the majors, there's no denying how good his bat has been at times.

As for the bullpen, I think Joe Nathan is beginning to show he could possibly take over the closer role, with Glen Perkins possibly being the setup guy. The middle relievers are the majors concern. I don't know enough about the best middle guys around the majors that are on teams that maybe sellers to suggest exactly who I would like to see the Twins maybe make a move for.

So far in this thread, people have mentioned moving Morneau and Slowey. Let me pose this question, why and who would trade for guys that are currently injured and on the DL?

Get on the phone and SELL SELL SELL!

A couple of series' losses to the division leaders and a beatdown from the Rangers can change the mind in a hurry! :yes:

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
This team is so frustrating. Back to just 6 games out of first. They're only 2.5 games behind the White Sox and 4 games behind Cleveland. And based on their last 10 games Detroit (6-4), Cleveland (3-7), and Chicago (6-4), they aren't exactly pulling away from the Twins.

FDWxMan

Jan 31, 2009
Des Moines
This team is so frustrating. Back to just 6 games out of first. They're only 2.5 games behind the White Sox and 4 games behind Cleveland. And based on their last 10 games Detroit (6-4), Cleveland (3-7), and Chicago (6-4), they aren't exactly pulling away from the Twins.

Frustrating is a good word.

Basically any "buying" moves would be to try and scrape something together to back into the playoffs with little or no chance of advancing. May be better to trade, build for next year, especially with the payroll coming off the books.

Then again, the playoffs can have a lot of randomness so you never know (unless they're playing NYY. Then you know.)