Twister Sister Summary - Clones lose at Mizzou UGH!

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Final summary of the regular season and it is perhaps the most disappointing. To see nearly the entire starting lineup play so miserably on offense for such an extended period is just plain disheartening. Final Mizzou 49 Sisters 48.

There couldn’t have been a game quite as important as this one all season long. With a win the Cyclones would have tied OU for 3rd place before losing the tie-breaker. Instead, the loss put the ladies in wait and see mode to see what happened between KSU and KU. My only hope was the game was in Lawrence, but that didn’t matter. KSU took care of KU and would finish 4th in the conference. A team we beat twice finished ahead of us!! That just chaps my hide.

The sisters actually got out to an early lead and was up by 7 when the wheels came grinding to a halt. Mizzou would crawl back into this one to take a one point lead at the half. The shooting was never good, but it was horrid during the last 1/3 of the half as Mizzou would outscore our ladies 13-5. By the way…if you haven’t noticed…these dry spells have become a signature of this year’s squad. Frustrating. Infuriating. Maddening. Chaps my hide.

Not much to say about the second half either. The ladies continued to struggle from the field and there just wasn’t much scoring. The defense did the job as holding anyone to 49 points should win you the game. But when your top scorers go 2-12 (Bolt), 1-7 (Pop), 1-7 (Big C), and your point guards combine for 5 points its not going to be a good night.

The only bright spot was Prins. After being somewhat missing in action the past few games, she shot 50% from the field for 18 points and hit a critical 3 to pull ISU within one with 49 tics left. Unfortunately another characteristic turnover and a missed shot by Harris would seal the deal. Another one point loss against a very bad team.

Ugly stat…but somehow not surprising. 19 turnovers. You just don’t win.

Ugly stat #2. This is the one that probably cost us the game. Hitting 50% from the free throw line hurts worse than the turnovers in my opinion. 7-14. 9-14 and we win figuratively speaking.

This team lives and dies with Bolte. Only once when she had a bad night did the others respond. Tonight it was a group stink fest. Now as the 5th seed, ISU gets to play Nebraska in the first round of the tourney on Tuesday. With a win we would get another rematch with KState in the quarterfinals. Beating KSU a 3rd time could be a tough undertaking.

I almost regret saying that I liked where I saw this team at after our win versus KU Tuesday night. Their schizo personality has the tendency to show up at the weirdest of times. If it shows up again we could see our ladies making a very quick departure from the tournament as Nebraska has the capability to score some points. This loss most certainly will drop our NCAA seed. If the ladies don’t win at least two in the tourney I’m guessing we will be looking at an 8 seed. Win two and perhaps play lights out in the semis and we might be looking at something as high as a #5. I sure miss the days of consistency…

Last edited:

CycloneBob

Aug 9, 2010
Ames
This loss was totally disappointing. This will likely cost us some seed(s) in the NCAA. However, in consideration of the Big 12 Tournament only, I may be in the minority with this, but I think we're OK. For some reason, I like us starting off with what should be a very winable game with Neb. We get tuned up, a feel of the auditorium and other environment before lacing them up against KSU. On the contrary, I wouldn't have good vibs about beating KSU for the third time as a first game. I hope I'm right as we have tournament tickets but have conflicts prohibiting us from going until Wed. I'll be very disappointed if we don't turn this around starting Tues.

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
They just need to get back into the "do it for Kelsey mode". You have to wonder if Z could have made a difference Sat. coming off her performance against KU. Probably would have been caught up in the funk with the rest of them.

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
honestly, this was a hard game to watch yesterday.

while the officiating was terrible (even the Mizzou announcers were commenting how lucky Mizzou was on calls), the team had every chance to win, and just couldn't do it.

I actually wonder if a bug is going around the team. The energy level seemed down.

Anna looked great though, looking like a true post player, then hitting a clutch three toward the end.

I think more than anything, when the shots aren't falling, the biggest problem was the on-ball defense, Cole was getting double teamed most of the game, caught in a lot of traps, and honestly, no one came to bail her out.

Mansfield did a much better job of getting it up the court in the second half, but it was too little too late.