Twister Sister Summary - End of season arrives in jarring style

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Like many of you I watched this game from a distance. I found a place in Des Moines to meet with some friends as my wife and I celebrated our wedding anniversary. I was wary of Toledo as I knew their style of play went directly against one of our long time weaknesses - speed to burn. In this case it was speed kills.

Rather than writing up the excruciating details of the game I'll briefly summarize what happened.

The sisters actually got off to a rather good start and led throughout much of the first quarter. They had a five point lead and only a late bucket by Toledo would cut it to three as time expired. For everything Toledo did right in the first, the sisters countered quite well. I felt fairly comfortable with parts of what I was seeing, but one thing bothered me. It appeared as if Toledo had borrowed some of Creighton's recipe for success from 2022. It was quite apparent that our guards couldn't keep up with the speed of players like Lockett. She was making our top defenders look pedestrian as she drove the lane. And she wasn't the only one.

The second quarter is where the wheels started to fall off the bus. Toledo continued to hit shots inside and out throughout the quarter. It seemed everything they tossed up went in (a la KU not too long ago). This is also when the offense for the sisters started to change. Mistakes were made resulting in turnovers and empty possessions. The ladies started to fall back on bad habits such as chucking up threes instead of running an offensive set. We also saw Joens begin to play one on five all too often with zero results. What this led to was a dominating quarter for Toledo and a seven point lead at the break 43-36. Here's a key stat for the half. Toledo shot 58% from the field and right at 50% from three. Iowa State on the other hand? The sisters went from shooting 33% from deep in the 1st to a miserable 18% in the second. Their overall shooting dropped to a horrid 27% with only 4 made shots on the quarter.

The third saw a fairly even battle, but one where the sisters could gain no ground. Their overall shooting continued to nosedive (25%) and they continued to futilely put up threes, but this time at a 20% rate. Turnovers also went up as Toledo was very aggressive. The ladies just didn't take care of the ball well. So, while the quarter played even, Toledo expanded their lead to eight. Nothing gave any sign that the ladies were out of it, but they also didn't show signs of coming back into the game. What we did see were two things happening. The team started going inside and drew foul after foul. The free throw line was our friend with the ladies hitting a solid 7/10.

The fourth saw more free throws, more missed threes and another 16% quarter from deep. The ladies actually made a couple of pushes to close the gap, but each time they got within striking distance, Toledo answered or the sisters made a mistake. In the end they just didn't have the offense or defense to overcome a highly energized Toledo team. The sisters' season came to an end 80-73.

Observations
I have to mention Joens right off here. We just saw the career of one of the greatest players in ISU history come to a close. She battled as always and you can never doubt her effort. My hats off to her. I wish her the best in both of her future careers.

Joens - there were times that her game reverted to the one on five mentality. It was as if she didn't "realize" she had four teammates out there on some of the offensive possessions. That was frustrating. Yes she scored 23 points (11 at the line), but her shooting was way off today as she only hit on 5 of 19 shots. Many of those weren't even remotely close. Thirteen critical boards.

Donarski - she had some nice offensive plays netting 13 points, but her three point shot...just like the rest of the team was stone cold (1-7). She also got burnt numerous times on defense as players like Lockett just drove right past her. She looked a wee bit frustrated at various spots of the game.

Ryan - 11 points (like others bad from deep) and only three assists to go along with three turnovers.

Diew - not a good game here either. Got chewed up on defense (eventually fouling out) and didn't have the magic on the offensive end going 2-8 from the field (6 of those from deep).

Kane/Izzi - the posts were very ineffective today. I particularly thought Toledo had really watched some film of Kane as every time she put on a move, the Toledo post knew EXACTLY what to expect and tied her up a couple of times. Izzi missed some bunnies. Kane had only four actual shots for the ENTIRE game. Toledo effectively killed the inside play today.

Fritz - she was the only efficient shooter for the game and just didn't get the ball enough. Went 5-9 from the field along with 4 boards.

M&M - her last game wasn't really memorable either. Wasn't able to hit any of her shots, but gave some positive minutes in relief for some of her teammates.

Free Throws - this is the only reason ISU stayed in this game. The team went 19-22 overall which helped offset some of Toledo's hot shooting. Joens was the leader here hitting 11 of them.

Rebounds - you'd expect the taller team to dominate here, but we didn't. Outrebounded Toledo by 4. BUT...when the opponent is hitting 50% from the field there are definitely fewer opportunities.

This game reminded me of the debacle at KU in February. We gave up 90+ points to a team that couldn't miss. That was exactly the way the first half was and Toledo was shooting nearly 60% at the break. Our defense was just shredded over and over again. We were too slow playing a man-to-man defense and we paid dearly. The other thing this game reminded me of was the futility in scoring we saw during the short losing streak last month. The ladies just couldn't get the ball to go in the hoop. Fortunately, the free throw line kept them in it until the end. But the shooting and some of the shot decisions? Woof.

This was a season built on great hype. The ladies persevered though, through tragedy and being put in tough spots. It was just unfortunate that the team we saw work to a Big 12 Tourney championship wasn't the one that appeared today. Yes, some of that was Toledo, but the big difference was our inability to make shots throughout the game. THIRTY-ONE three point attempts is WAY too many for this team. Then you add in the inefficiency level and it was a disaster.

Sad way to end the season. But lots of great memories along the way. Now...we wait to see what happens with the NCAA decision about Soares. After that it's getting a top 10 recruiting class on board and getting ready for another successful year.

WartburgClone

Mar 14, 2022
their style of play went directly against one of our long time weaknesses - speed to burn.
our guards couldn't keep up with the speed of players like Lockett. She was making our top defenders look pedestrian as she drove the lane.
Our defense was just shredded over and over again. We were too slow playing a man-to-man defense and we paid dearly.
Every time I see some speedy little guard torching us on D I'm reminded of how little we used Jade Thurmon during her two years here and it makes me mad.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
I LOVE Joens but it was frustrating to see her forcing shots. Michael Jordan didn’t win the ring until he started trusting his teammates…

This was a bad matchup. Last week, stars aligned perfectly for us but it was probably exception than the norm. Until BF modified his “Iowa State Way”, we’ll more likely have more one and done in the Big Dance.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
I LOVE Joens but it was frustrating to see her forcing shots. Michael Jordan didn’t win the ring until he started trusting his teammates…

This was a bad matchup. Last week, stars aligned perfectly for us but it was probably exception than the norm. Until BF modified his “Iowa State Way”, we’ll more likely have more one and done in the Big Dance.
I’m not sure I agree. What ISU needs is a more balanced team. Our best combined nasty guard play with great post play. Think Frese, Taylor, Gahan and Welle or Williamson, the player that shall not be named, Christopherson and Prins/Pop. Those were the best teams ISU has ever seen.

Last edited:

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
A frustrating end to a frustrating season. After the Big 12 tournament, I started believing again that this team could go on a little run in the tournament.

I thought the game drastically changed when they called 3 fouls in a row (2 on Lexi) at the end of the 3rd quarter. What I’ve noticed from Lexi this year is she’s a great defender when fouls aren’t being called. I feel like after she starts getting frustrated with fouls, she changes how she defends because she’s so scared of getting called for another foul. He defensive intensity goes out the window after a few touch fouls.

So where does Iowa State go from here?

- Hopefully Soares gets a waiver and chooses to return and is healthy.

-Hopefully Ryan, Donarski and Fritz and Diew all return. I assume they will but you never know anymore. If they all return, Iowa State needs them to make a big jump and help replace Joens scoring. Lexi, Ryan and Fritz all need to average 13+PPG, Diew needs to find some consistency and average closer to 10PPG.

-Does Izzy, Dawkins and Vick return? If so, can any of them become rotational pieces you can rely on? Personally, I have my doubts but they are hard working kids so I won’t say it’s impossible.

-Can any of the freshman be ready from day 1? It’s a big class in quantity. Bristow, Crooks, Brown, Jackson and Joens. I’d lean towards the first 3 being the most ready.

-Does Bill dip into the transfer portal and make an addition(s)? If so, what positions?

Big off-season for Bill and staff to put together a competitive roster and continue the winning ways after losing Joens.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
A few overarching observations based on the radio broadcast:

1. It seemed like Noah was commenting on our shots from three being "strong" alot. As a good three-point shooting team, was there anything different about this game that made our shots be a little long?

2. It seemed that Toledo was able to avoid foul trouble. Jamie commented several times about Ashley not getting fouls calls. How did this game compare to the season in terms of Ashley drawing fouls? Was there something about Toledo's style on either end that gave them an advantage with the way the refs called this game?

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
It was a ok season that ended in disappointment. Beginning of the season I had elite 8 aspirations to go out first round was a little disappointing but not a real surprise as this yrs team never met it's lofty expectations.
Maybe next yr will be better we shall see.

ZorkClone

Nov 12, 2019
What do we think of Vick and Dawkins? From what I saw I don’t know what to think. It seems like they are pretty far from contributing, but also they only played when we were up by 30 and Bill stopped coaching and running any set.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I personally thought the game changed when we went on a 7-0 run in the 3rd quarter, you could feel the momentum shifting, crowd was waking up, girls confidence and demeanor looked great, and then 81% free throw shooter Diew clanks 2 free throws and it was all lost. At times this year she looked like the best player on the team. Then she does whatever that was last night.

I’d like to see a similar thread to what CoKane made for the women’s team for what next year looks like

• Disagree
Reactions: peatyscotch

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
It was jarring to watch their offensive game plan compared to ours. They ran efficient sets with motion, cutting, screening, etc. It forced all 5 of our players to guard. Then you watched when we had the ball, which was just bad iso play every time down.

Bill got outcoached badly.

Last edited:

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
It was jarring to watch our offensive game plan compared to ours. They ran efficient sets with motion, cutting, screening, etc. It forced all 5 of our players to guard. Then you watched when we had the ball, which was just bad iso play every time down.

It was certainly a decision to let Lockett just run around her defender and having zero help side defense. Not sure if we were just trying to stop the open 3, but I probably would try and stop the wide open layup.

Reactions: Cyclad

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
Next year will be interesting for Bill. For many years now the focus on offense has been almost exclusively on Ashley or Bridget. I don’t see where he will have one single star that will allow him to run 80% of the offense through them in isolation.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Had a huge stretch where ISU was taking shots they could get any time. It is almost like they were trying to push pace for the sake of pace.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
It was a ok season that ended in disappointment. Beginning of the season I had elite 8 aspirations to go out first round was a little disappointing but not a real surprise as this yrs team never met it's lofty expectations.
Maybe next yr will be better we shall see.

Probably have many posts and comments on that over the next six months or so.

Will be interesting to see the new freshman. I am high on Brown and Bristow. I expect we will be in the top 5 or six again but not as good a record. Top six in the league will at least get a NCAA invite

The league, unless there is a quick turnaround, will be not so great again. Texas might be the only team ranked early on. Sooners will lose three fifth year starters, not sure about their other senior starter. KSU will be better with Lee back. Their guards that played with her as freshman will now be juniors. Even with Lee they only won 20 and were a 8 seed so not sure I'd pick them to win the conference. Baylor might be even further down from old Baylor, doesn't appear they signed much of anybody for the class of 2023. She's going to need to hit the portal or she's going to have a mediocre team with a very short roster. Finally, will OSU continue their bounceback?

Reactions: VeloClone

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
It was jarring to watch our offensive game plan compared to ours. They ran efficient sets with motion, cutting, screening, etc. It forced all 5 of our players to guard. Then you watched when we had the ball, which was just bad iso play every time down.
You've touched on the two key issues which bedeviled the 22-23 ISU women:

1) Lack of elite athleticism, other than Lexi Donarski, who doesn't always utilize her prodigious physical gifts, especially once she's picked up that second foul. Joens & Fritz minimize their athletic shortcomings with smarts, tenacity and effort. I know there are many Ryan fans / apologists among our group, but she is a defensive liability. Yeah, I know she was second team all Big XII, but there were four PG's on the first team and they all ran circles around Emily.

2) Never ending ISOLATION play where everybody else stands around. As much as I love Ashley, I had reached my fill of watching her draw fouls by going one on two (or three) and if I never see Ryan dribble around for twenty seconds again, I'll be a happier man! Did anybody watch the Drake / Louisville game last night? Drake is a three-point shooting team, but their PG doesn't dominate ball possession, they all move constantly and they make back door cuts repeatedly.

In conclusion, we can do better than what the ISU women achieved this year. I appreciate CBF - I was a student in the early 1980's and I watched Tonya Burns play versus William Penn in front of a hundred fans on a weekday afternoon. But if Bill can't adjust, it's probably time to go a different direction, as the in-state competition has surpassed us (Iowa), is significantly more entertaining (Drake) or is almost our equal with lesser heralded local talent (UNI with Grace Bofelli). We can expect better results and he has the recruiting class to make something happen. Let's hope he adjusts his style of play for 2023 / 2024!

67CY

Apr 13, 2006

Have never understood why Bill won’t run this offense

• Agree
Reactions: ISU71

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
You've touched on the two key issues which bedeviled the 22-23 ISU women:

1) Lack of elite athleticism, other than Lexi Donarski, who doesn't always utilize her prodigious physical gifts, especially once she's picked up that second foul. Joens & Fritz minimize their athletic shortcomings with smarts, tenacity and effort. I know there are many Ryan fans / apologists among our group, but she is a defensive liability. Yeah, I know she was second team all Big XII, but there were four PG's on the first team and they all ran circles around Emily.

2) Never ending ISOLATION play where everybody else stands around. As much as I love Ashley, I had reached my fill of watching her draw fouls by going one on two (or three) and if I never see Ryan dribble around for twenty seconds again, I'll be a happier man! Did anybody watch the Drake / Louisville game last night? Drake is a three-point shooting team, but their PG doesn't dominate ball possession, they all move constantly and they make back door cuts repeatedly.

In conclusion, we can do better than what the ISU women achieved this year. I appreciate CBF - I was a student in the early 1980's and I watched Tonya Burns play versus William Penn in front of a hundred fans on a weekday afternoon. But if Bill can't adjust, it's probably time to go a different direction, as the in-state competition has surpassed us (Iowa), is significantly more entertaining (Drake) or is almost our equal with lesser heralded local talent (UNI with Grace Bofelli). We can expect better results and he has the recruiting class to make something happen. Let's hope he adjusts his style of play for 2023 / 2024!
Your analysis is spot on. Time for Bill to say goodbye. He got his 500 wins, give him a gold watch and get a coach like Pohlman at Drake.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron