Twister Sister Summary - Ladies come out firing in win

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
In the pregame show Coach Fen was asked how he planned to give his halftime speech (a la Drake) in the pregame. He must have done it as the ladies came out guns blazing. They were led by Belanger who was firing from deep and helped the ladies crawl out to a double digit lead. As expected Southern fought back, but the another important aspect of the game - defense - played a part in the Sisters separating themselves from their visitors. Even though Southern made a few baskets early they were held to about 35% shooting for the first half as the sisters worked their way to a 46-24 halftime lead.

The ladies found something else to learn in the second stanza. Teams can come back on you if you stop playing with the same offensive intensity. Southern would play an even 12-12 third quarter as the Sisters' offense went missing in action. They even outscored the sisters in the fourth 24-20. Twice Southern would claw back to only 13 points down. But in both cases the Sisters would do just enough to stretch the lead back to 15-18 points. In the end it was just a wee bit too much Cyclone defense and offense as the ladies came away with win two of the season, 78-60.

Observations
I kept in mind that Southern won their conference last year and in their previous game had Miami beat before folding in the last couple of minutes in a close loss. This was an experienced team who can take advantage of freshmen mistakes...and they did.

MVP of the game? It was a toss up as Crooks was pretty much unstoppable down low. The only person who could stop her was herself as she traveled a couple of times. Otherwise, she showed her great hands and soft touch in scoring 16 points and grabbing 6 boards in only 17 minutes of playing time. The other option? Kelsey Joens. I just keep referring to her as the gym rat for a lack of a better moniker right now. She was everywhere tonight. She guarded quite well on defense. She grabbed 9 boards (it seemed like twice that), had nine points, five assists, and three treys. She was constantly on the move. I'm VERY impressed with what I saw in her.

The posts - I've covered Crooks, but what about Natabou? She's big and moves pretty well, but what I've seen of her so far is she's not a huge scoring threat yet. Rebounding she had the propensity to jump and tap balls rather than grab them. Those taps often turned the ball back to the other team. I suspect her struggles were why she got more playing time tonight. Time to keep working on things.

The point - We really need our senior. The newcomers at times did quite well bringing the ball up, but often struggled to make things happen on the offensive end. That's a weird statement considering the 25 assists on 30 baskets. There were times they did too much dribbling (we've seen that even from Ryan at times) and they sometimes didn't get the screen help they needed to break things open. This is just a developmental thing and I'm sure it will improve. The player I was looking forward to seeing "live" tonight was Jackson and she definitely suffered from dribilitis at times. Her big thing is she has to develop her shot.

Belanger - she had the hot hand early and hit 4-8 from deep and totaled 14 points. She had a triple-triple with 3 boards, 3 assists and 3 turnovers. She's not afraid to put the ball up and I'll take 50% from deep any day of the week.

Brown - I really like her. I've said it before, but she reminds me of Pop at times. She works hard and gets things done underneath. She is actually much further along offensively than Pop was as a freshman (I remember Pop struggled mightily at the FT line then). She hustles, battles, and as Coach Fen said, "does what she is asked to do." Thirty-three minutes, 18 points and 6 assists is a darned good night regardless of who you are playing.

Diew - I told my wife during the game that Diew is either crazy good or a bit spazmatic on the court. Tonight we saw some solid D, but offensively she was just off. Some shots she was a bit impatient in setting her body up square.

Bristow - She looks like she is still finding her way (gee...who isn't on a freshman dominated team) and doesn't appear as comfortable at this level as she will be. Definitely athletic and you can tell the skills are there. I think she's just going to take some time before we see her bloom.

It was fun to see Dawkins get some minutes tonight. She actually looked pretty confident out there and did some good things. Handled the ball well and acquitted herself quite well.

Defense - Overall, I was quite pleased with what I saw tonight. After a missed shot and defensive rebound the ladies got back on D quickly and did a very good job of switching off through screens. There are always a few misses, but they did a solid job defending and that led to a 46-28 rebounding margin.

Shooting from deep - hot in the first half for sure (57% 8/14) and a very tepid second half (3/16). Much of that were misses by folks who normally won't be taking those shots. Diew was cold and Jackson has to put some time in to get that shot to fall.

Probably the only real negative in this game were the 17 turnovers. Many weren't forced as we had a few 3 second violations and a couple of half court violations. Fennelly teams don't consistently do that and I'm sure it will improve with experience (a common phrase).

In the second half I caught myself wondering things like "why isn't Crooks in there?" or "why is Joens on the bench?" Then I had to remind myself that Coach Fen is trying to work with different combos of players to see how the game flows with them. What happens if one of the frosh gets into foul trouble? Who can step in and pick up the slack? So, we saw some odd combos tonight that didn't work real well together and Southern benefited from that.

Overall, I see bright things in the future. We will definitely take our lumps in some games mainly due to in-experience. But wow...there is some very real talent on this team and when they mature and increase their cohesion...it's going to be fun. I was asking questions about Ryan and Diew and if they will take super senior seasons? What will things be like when Tanke joins this group? Is there another post in the recruiting bin in a year or two? Such fun things to think about. But in the mean time, we are in for a fun ride watching this team willingly tackle making ISU women's basketball a team not to overlook.

Next up - some really tough challenges in Las Vegas over the holiday. Game one is against Vanderbilt who is 5-0 with some surprisingly close games against lesser teams (2 point win v UT Martin, 3 point win against Fairfield, and a 3 point win against Western Kentucky - the last two have only lost to Vandy). The second game is against Syracuse who stands at 3-1 with only a 2 point loss to Maryland on their record. All of their other games have been major blowouts. As always...we learn more about this developing team this week!

ZorkClone

Nov 12, 2019
Thanks for the write up. I’m wondering if by big 12 play we see a primary point guard? We seem to try about 4 different players a game. I am under the assumption that Ryan will not play this year, so we need to figure something out for that position.

geewago

Jan 1, 2013
Waco,tx
I watched about half of the game on espn+. I was bouncing back and forth between ISU and UCF as they were fighting it out with Auburn. They beat Auburn and I must say they look good enough to compete in the Big 12. I've been following them ever since Sytia Messer became their coach. It looked kinda funny to see Mike Carey (former WV coach) setting on the bench with her. I swear he got up and yelled as much as Messser. I think he's having a hard time adjusting to being an assistant. I think in time they may build up a strong program there,

My opinion of the young Iowa ST is exactly that, they are young, and will probably lose several games this year just due to that. But I saw some very promising prospects. If Bill could add a couple good experienced transfers to this team next year I would think things could get real exciting.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
We have an incredible Freshman class. IMO the minutes for Isnelle and Diew will be fewer if they do not step up their play. Audi is a threat in the post. And a force physically. Kelsey is a baller. Addy Brown does everything. Bristow and Jackson coming along. Hannah has played well. Diew has really struggled and forced shots. Isnelle and Diew are still starters. But get fewer minutes as the freshmen shine.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Thanks for the write up. I’m wondering if by big 12 play we see a primary point guard? We seem to try about 4 different players a game. I am under the assumption that Ryan will not play this year, so we need to figure something out for that position.
If Emily Ryan isn't the primary point guard by Big 12 play, we can write off this season and go to next year

ZorkClone

Nov 12, 2019
If Emily Ryan isn't the primary point guard by Big 12 play, we can write off this season and go to next year
I agree, but even if Emily returns this season, she may not use her covid year. So we need someone for the next year or at the latest 2025. Jackson seems like Bill's choice. I've noticed that the other team rides her the whole way whenever she goes down the court, which doesn't happen as often to Kelsey or Hanna when they run the point.

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
Shooting from deep - hot in the first half for sure (57% 8/14) and a very tepid second half (3/16). Much of that were misses by folks who normally won't be taking those shots. Diew was cold and Jackson has to put some time in to get that shot to fall.
I feel pretty confident Jackson will be a good shooter with some time to adjust. In high school, she shot well over 40% over her career on high volume (normally I don't rely on high school stats, but Iowa is an exception since every game is recorded on gobound). I imagine she's just in a slump like Curtis Jones is/was, or just needs a bit to adjust to the deeper three-point line.

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
I feel pretty confident Jackson will be a good shooter with some time to adjust. In high school, she shot well over 40% over her career on high volume (normally I don't rely on high school stats, but Iowa is an exception since every game is recorded on gobound). I imagine she's just in a slump like Curtis Jones is/was, or just needs a bit to adjust to the deeper three-point line.
I watched AJ at the half time shooting and she hit 4 in a row from the 3 point line. She just needs to work to get open a little more and when she is shoot ( she has been much like Emily has been trying so hard to give an assist and passing up shots)

Reactions: acoustimac

ISC

Oct 15, 2009
Iowa
Agreed. I've been pleasantly surprised by how well Jackson is doing at PG so far this year. Teams have tried to press her and everything and she's handled it great. I know big 12 play is a different beast, but she'll just have more experience by then. Very encouraged by what we've seen so far from Jackson.

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
I didn’t have particularly high expectations for this season before it was known Emily would be sitting out. We’re simply too inexperienced. The freshman will take their lumps and hopefully return next season ready to compete. I’m looking at any record over .500 as a success this season, sitting back and enjoying the freshman class - keep smiling youngsters - you have a bright future if you just stay together!

Reactions: NWICY

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
We have an incredible Freshman class. IMO the minutes for Isnelle and Diew will be fewer if they do not step up their play. Audi is a threat in the post. And a force physically. Kelsey is a baller. Addy Brown does everything. Bristow and Jackson coming along. Hannah has played well. Diew has really struggled and forced shots. Isnelle and Diew are still starters. But get fewer minutes as the freshmen shine.

I don't see the minutes for Isnelle going down much. Think we'll see a 20 minute each average for her and Crooks. In and out of the game to keep Audi rested and able to go mostly 100%. That combo gave them 19 points and 10 rebounds last night (29 and 10 at Drake). Am really pleased to see how much Crooks seems to have progressed after just a short time working with Div 1 strength and conditioning.

I think the Isnelle/Crooks duel will be very interesting in the Iowa game. Iowa has an athletic F/P in Stuelke and a couple of true posts with size (height and bulk) in Goodman and O'Grady (more Goodman now since her knee seems 100%) so we'll get to see our posts matched up against different styles in the paint.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
I don't see the minutes for Isnelle going down much. Think we'll see a 20 minute each average for her and Crooks. In and out of the game to keep Audi rested and able to go mostly 100%. That combo gave them 19 points and 10 rebounds last night (29 and 10 at Drake). Am really pleased to see how much Crooks seems to have progressed after just a short time working with Div 1 strength and conditioning.

I think the Isnelle/Crooks duel will be very interesting in the Iowa game. Iowa has an athletic F/P in Stuelke and a couple of true posts with size (height and bulk) in Goodman and O'Grady (more Goodman now since her knee seems 100%) so we'll get to see our posts matched up against different styles in the paint.

Isnelle will get minutes because of her defense and size. But feel Audi will end up playing more as the season goes on. Crooks interview after game reveals a high basketball IQ and positivity towards being coached. Audi and Kelsey worked really well together.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Isnelle will get minutes because of her defense and size. But feel Audi will end up playing more as the season goes on. Crooks interview after game reveals a high basketball IQ and positivity towards being coached. Audi and Kelsey worked really well together.
From a scoring perspective Crooks almost has to play more…especially when we need offense. I also agree about what others have said about Jackson. She moves well with the ball and I suspect last nights "struggles" may have had something to do with who was on the court at the same time. She handles the ball quite well.