Twister Sister Summary - Ladies fall to KSU

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Before I write about the game let me put out a couple of disclaimers.
1. I have no idea what is happening behind the scenes with this team. Has Zimm been sick? Are other players ill? What else is happening? I don’t know.
2. I do remember these are college women playing a game. Now that it is out there, know as usual that I won’t pull any punches.
3. I rarely if ever criticize Coach F.’s coaching.
From the get-go this game was designed around Anna Prins. Every offensive possession was designed to get the ball inside to her. One big problem. She couldn’t find the inside of the basket if she had a seeing eye dog. That may seem harsh, but in the past couple of games she has had some real downers. Against Nebraska she was 1-10 from the field. Today wasn’t much better as she connected on 2-10. More later. Game plan scrapped.
This was a back and forth affair for these teams. It was pretty much even throughout the first half, but to watch the sisters play you would have felt the pain we felt. The offense was completely out of sync. The name of the game was turnovers and many of those were at the most inopportune times. Ten in the first half and fifteen on the game. Nothing would ever get in sync for the team. It didn’t matter who Coach rotated in nothing happened. We kept getting opportunities to either tie or take the lead and every time we would either miss, turn the ball over, or have a defensive breakdown to allow KSU numerous chances to hold the lead. Halftime 30-25 for KU. Bolte had 4 points at the break if that tells you anything.
We hoped at half time that it was just one of those bad halves we’ve gotten used to this year. But alas, it wasn’t. It continued to carry over and KSU pulled away slowly as the offense continued to misfire. Point One – what has happened that we have so many players that are afraid of shooting the darn ball? We have to play offense with 3 arms tied behind our back. Either our posts can’t hit a shot, our forwards just stand around, or we have guards that look to pass and won’t shoot. Cole won’t shoot. Jess won’t shoot. Loz won’t shoot much (and when she did she got blocked). Where does this fear come from? Jess has shown in the past few games that she can hit the three. Cole can too. Why aren’t they putting up a couple hundred every day in practice? (maybe they are and I obviously don’t know it). In any case watching this display was sad.
Point Two – What is up with this offensive design from our coaching staff. I realize we don’t score a lot of points so we run the clock down. But to see four players literally stand in place while the point guard dribbles the clock away…and then continue to stand when we need to get a shot off? I’m puzzled. I saw regression tonight in Bolt. She spent a great deal of time standing out at the 3 point line like she used to. No movement. The few times she did get aggressive in the second half she made things happen.
In any case, this one was ugly. With eight minutes left in the GAME we had 36 points. Fortunately, Big C came to life in the last few minutes to spark a furious comeback. She scored 8 straight for the ladies (2 from downtown and one layup). We even had a great steal in the last 8 seconds to get the ball back down by three, but Bolt was blanketed and couldn’t get the 3 to go.

Point Three – How is it that a conference like the Big 12 has such crappy officials? There were horrible calls and missed calls tonight. The worst late in the game when Bolt drove and a KSU player literally reached out and grabbed her arm and pulled her back causing a turnover. All right in front of an official. No call.
So now we wait. What will the NCAA committee do? We obviously are going to the dance but where will we fall? I’m guessing an 8 or 9 seed right now. Its going to be tough and I hope the coaches can get a good game plan together and the players can get some rest.

iowaboy

Apr 4, 2008
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
1. I have no idea what is happening behind the scenes with this team. Has Zimm been sick? Are other players ill? What else is happening? I don’t know.
2. I do remember these are college women playing a game. Now that it is out there, know as usual that I won’t pull any punches.
From the get-go this game was designed around Anna Prins. Every offensive possession was designed to get the ball inside to her. One big problem. She couldn’t find the inside of the basket if she had a seeing eye dog. That may seem harsh, but in the past couple of games she has had some real downers. Against Nebraska she was 1-10 from the field. Today wasn’t much better as she connected on 2-10. More later. Game plan scrapped.
This was a back and forth affair for these teams. It was pretty much even throughout the first half, but to watch the sisters play you would have felt the pain we felt. The offense was completely out of sync. The name of the game was turnovers and many of those were at the most inopportune times. Ten in the first half and fifteen on the game. Nothing would ever get in sync for the team. It didn’t matter who Coach rotated in nothing happened. We kept getting opportunities to either tie or take the lead and every time we would either miss, turn the ball over, or have a defensive breakdown to allow KSU numerous chances to hold the lead. Halftime 30-25 for KU. Bolte had 4 points at the break if that tells you anything.
We hoped at half time that it was just one of those bad halves we’ve gotten used to this year. But alas, it wasn’t. It continued to carry over and KSU pulled away slowly as the offense continued to misfire. Point One – what has happened that we have so many players that are afraid of shooting the darn ball? We have to play offense with 3 arms tied behind our back. Either our posts can’t hit a shot, our forwards just stand around, or we have guards that look to pass and won’t shoot. Cole won’t shoot. Jess won’t shoot. Loz won’t shoot much (and when she did she got blocked). Where does this fear come from? Jess has shown in the past few games that she can hit the three. Cole can too. Why aren’t they putting up a couple hundred every day in practice? (maybe they are and I obviously don’t know it). In any case watching this display was sad.
Point Two – What is up with this offensive design from our coaching staff. I realize we don’t score a lot of points so we run the clock down. But to see four players literally stand in place while the point guard dribbles the clock away…and then continue to stand when we need to get a shot off? I’m puzzled. I saw regression tonight in Bolt. She spent a great deal of time standing out at the 3 point line like she used to. No movement. The few times she did get aggressive in the second half she made things happen.
In any case, this one was ugly. With eight minutes left in the GAME we had 36 points. Fortunately, Big C came to life in the last few minutes to spark a furious comeback. She scored 8 straight for the ladies (2 from downtown and one layup). We even had a great steal in the last 8 seconds to get the ball back down by three, but Bolt was blanketed and couldn’t get the 3 to go.

Point Three – How is it that a conference like the Big 12 has such crappy officials? There were horrible calls and missed calls tonight. The worst late in the game when Bolt drove and a KSU player literally reached out and grabbed her arm and pulled her back causing a turnover. All right in front of an official. No call.
So now we wait. What will the NCAA committee do? We obviously are going to the dance but where will we fall? I’m guessing an 8 or 9 seed right now. Its going to be tough and I hope the coaches can get a good game plan together and the players can get some rest.

This didn't look like any ISU team I have seen in a long while. Very sad performance. Can't hit 3's which was our strong suit for many years. Listless IMO. Love ya coach, but this has been a really sad year. Coaching wasn't that hot either.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Are they out of shape after the game yesterday?

BF's teams should not be standing around this much.

Last year the PG covered up for the standing around.
It just did not work this year when nobody wanted to shoot.

We need to be much more confident next year.

swiacyfan

Mar 2, 2009
Schroll needs to work on 3's this summer! Cole needs step up and shoot nxt year! Big C needs to hit the weight room more, prins needs to get strength in her hands, If not I'm afraid it will be worse than this year!!!

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
I have no idea what is happening behind the scenes with this team. Has Zimm been sick?

Yes. She didn't make the Missouri trip and was in street clothes for the Nebraska game but was dressed for this game. BF said before the game that she was getting healthier but would only play in this game if absolutely necessary (serious post foul trouble).

Oldgeezer

Mar 18, 2006
Waukon, Iowa
Schroll needs to work on 3's this summer! Cole needs step up and shoot nxt year! Big C needs to hit the weight room more, prins needs to get strength in her hands, If not I'm afraid it will be worse than this year!!!
Cole is not a shooter, just as Stuckey was not a shooter. Scroll, Mansfield and Harris seem to lack confidence in their shots, but all four of our underclass perimiter players are borderline Big 12 caliber. Prins is soft, and does not have good hands. Also, she can't get open or create her own shot. Hallie will be one of the best post players ever at ISU when she gets stronger. She and pop can't do it alone, hope we get some help from the new class. Fennelly misses on about 1/3 of his recruits. Mossman, Florzak, Yakey, Williams for examples, and maybe Prins and/or Zimm ?

REDCYBIRD

Mar 27, 2006
Ames, Iowa
Somehow Anna needs to get an attitude like Pop. How many times did the ball come in to her and she brought it down so the shorter players could knock it away or tie her up? She is 6'7 for crying out loud hold it up where they can't reach it and learn to jump..
Not only the Big 12 has bad officiating.. I've watched a lot of badly called games. These refs are getting paid to call the game right and it is just plain not happening.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Fennelly misses on about 1/3 of his recruits <snip> maybe Prins

Weird thing to say about someone who is tied for #2 on the team in PPG and is only barely behind Bolte for the team lead in points per 40 min.

She has things to work on (detailed in other posts) but she is still one of our top offensive weapons. A couple rough games doesn't change that.

CycloneBob

Aug 9, 2010
Ames

Cous,

Thanks for the write-up. Yes, this game was another totally disappointing game, starting with our guard play. I agree with your comments on Bolte - too much standing in the corner for me. I don't know if there's something behind the scenes, either, but this team struggles to jell or maintain the occasional spurts of great play. For what it's worth, I attended the night session. The quickness of several players on OU, Tex Tech, A & M, and to some extent even on TX seemed quite a contrast over watching ISU. I'd sure like to see more quick talent (yet playing within themselves) on the ISU team.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Weird thing to say about someone who is tied for #2 on the team in PPG and is only barely behind Bolte for the team lead in points per 40 min.

She has things to work on (detailed in other posts) but she is still one of our top offensive weapons. A couple rough games doesn't change that.

I would say she "could" be one of our top offensive weapons. Her weaknesses are well documented. I'm seriously considering seeing if Dr. Frankenstein can hook her up with Pop and transfer part of Pop's aggressive nature to her (note reference to Young Frankenstein).

She is probably the most up and down player (no consistency) on the team as she can have a great game scoring (Nebraska) and then disappear for a week or so.

GREAT POTENTIAL. Potential doesn't win games. Hard work to achieve that potential does.

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
If anyone was watching, Anna was such a threat, that the defenses of NU and KSU were keying in on her, Hallie and POP, often double teaming them, and always sagging leaving our perimeter players open. BF started her for a reason. We ran our plays through her. But if they can't get her the ball after she posts up deep, that is not her fault. Then, the pass her the ball 10 ft from the hoop and expect her to drive or make her shot? Come on people. If our perimeter players would just take their open shots, they could have penetration as well as open up the inside outside game.

Prins is a finesse player, which works in our system. The problem is our guards are still coming into their own. To say that Prins is soft, is just getting maddening to me. She needs upper body strength some, and some improved conditioning, but she is also coming off two years of illnesses that slowed her conditioning, not to mention reduced conditioning because of her knee.

Just because she is 6 7 doesn't mean she should pound it in there like she's a Paris twin.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
She is probably the most up and down player (no consistency) on the team as she can have a great game scoring (Nebraska) and then disappear for a week or so.

GREAT POTENTIAL. Potential doesn't win games. Hard work to achieve that potential does.

And you know that Prins doesn't already "work hard"...how?

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
If anyone was watching, Anna was such a threat, that the defenses of NU and KSU were keying in on her, Hallie and POP, often double teaming them, and always sagging leaving our perimeter players open. BF started her for a reason. We ran our plays through her. But if they can't get her the ball after she posts up deep, that is not her fault. Then, the pass her the ball 10 ft from the hoop and expect her to drive or make her shot? Come on people. If our perimeter players would just take their open shots, they could have penetration as well as open up the inside outside game.

Prins is a finesse player, which works in our system. The problem is our guards are still coming into their own. To say that Prins is soft, is just getting maddening to me. She needs upper body strength some, and some improved conditioning, but she is also coming off two years of illnesses that slowed her conditioning, not to mention reduced conditioning because of her knee.

Just because she is 6 7 doesn't mean she should pound it in there like she's a Paris twin.

She has yet to have a full season of conditioning and playing due to injuries/illness. If she could ever go though a full season completely healthy, I think we would all be amazed.

Oldgeezer

Mar 18, 2006
Waukon, Iowa

Bolte is the only player averaging in double figures in scoring. You could almost say there are several players tied for second--- When your 6' 7" center is losing minutes to a skinny freshman from a small school in rural Iowa, that's getting pretty close to a recruiting miss. Watch Pop and Hallie when they get the ball in the lane, and then watch Prins. It's like comparing Tinsley to Garrett

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
When your 6' 7" center is losing minutes to a skinny freshman from a small school in rural Iowa, that's getting pretty close to a recruiting miss.

#1: Are you saying HC isn't any good? It sure sounds like it. If not, what does it matter where she's from?

#2: The only thing she's losing minutes to is foul trouble. HC's minutes are coming from Z and from less time spent in a one-post lineup, which was necessary pretty often last season. Pop and Prins are each playing about as much as last season, and they'd be playing more if they both didn't seem to have constant foul issues.

Last edited:

beatiowa

Dec 21, 2008
Berkeley, CA
Cole is not a shooter, just as Stuckey was not a shooter. Scroll, Mansfield and Harris seem to lack confidence in their shots, but all four of our underclass perimiter players are borderline Big 12 caliber. Prins is soft, and does not have good hands. Also, she can't get open or create her own shot. Hallie will be one of the best post players ever at ISU when she gets stronger. She and pop can't do it alone, hope we get some help from the new class. Fennelly misses on about 1/3 of his recruits. Mossman, Florzak, Yakey, Williams for examples, and maybe Prins and/or Zimm ?

Prins is a 6'7" player that plays inside but then can also shoot the three on you. That alone makes her a challenge to defend and an asset to our team. Does she need improvement in areas? Of course, but she's a far cry from a recruiting miss.

Last edited:

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
When your 6' 7" center is losing minutes to a skinny freshman from a small school in rural Iowa, that's getting pretty close to a recruiting miss.
Christofferson was a highly-recruited player, not just some bumpkin from the farm. Lots of midwestern programs, like Iowa, offered her.
My concern is that we're not convincing enough talented in-state players (like Hallie) to wear the cardinal and gold, such as Greenfield, Kionna Kellogg, Markisha Wright...

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
And you know that Prins doesn't already "work hard"...how?

Never EVER put words in my mouth. Be a smart alek to your brother. I said that hard work to achieve potential wins games. That doesn't mean she hasn't worked hard, but rather she needs to work hard to realize her potential. Big difference. If there is one thing I NEVER pretend to do is know what is happening behind the scenes in practice, at home, etc.