Twister Sister Summary - Ladies fall to KSU

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
If anyone was watching, Anna was such a threat, that the defenses of NU and KSU were keying in on her, Hallie and POP, often double teaming them, and always sagging leaving our perimeter players open. BF started her for a reason. We ran our plays through her. But if they can't get her the ball after she posts up deep, that is not her fault. Then, the pass her the ball 10 ft from the hoop and expect her to drive or make her shot? Come on people. If our perimeter players would just take their open shots, they could have penetration as well as open up the inside outside game.

Prins is a finesse player, which works in our system. The problem is our guards are still coming into their own. To say that Prins is soft, is just getting maddening to me. She needs upper body strength some, and some improved conditioning, but she is also coming off two years of illnesses that slowed her conditioning, not to mention reduced conditioning because of her knee.

Just because she is 6 7 doesn't mean she should pound it in there like she's a Paris twin.

The thing that I've seen, not only yesterday but in other games, is her ability to (a) miss layups, (b) have the ball taken away from her, and (c) not jumping to maximize her height. Much of this is probably due to being the "big girl on the block" in high school where she didn't have to do these things. At this level she needs to have the strength to finish, use the same strength to grab rebounds with authority, and to jump rather than standing and waiting for balls to come to her. Can't remember which former player said it, but Prins is an example of someone that won't jump over a phone book right now.

We don't know (this year) how much the bug bit her. I too would love to see her healthy.

All in all it is a TEAM issue with players who won't shoot, don't jump for rebounds, aren't moving, etc., etc.

Reactions: jbhtexas

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Boys boys boys............lets not get into a big fight when we just lost to a better more athletic team that really plays great defense...

K-State has a very good, young, athletic team, that really plays good interior defense...

Instead of arguing, lets thank our girls for a good effort all season long in winning 22 games and making the ncaa tournament...(i think)

Thanks girls and good luck in the Big Dance....

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Never EVER put words in my mouth. Be a smart alek to your brother. I said that hard work to achieve potential wins games. That doesn't mean she hasn't worked hard, but rather she needs to work hard to realize her potential. Big difference. If there is one thing I NEVER pretend to do is know what is happening behind the scenes in practice, at home, etc.

Oh, please - you insinuated that she needs to work harder. Saying something "smart alek" like Prins "won't jump over a phone book" is pretty critical too. How is that not questioning her effort?

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Oh, please - you insinuated that she needs to work harder. Saying something "smart alek" like Prins "won't jump over a phone book" is pretty critical too. How is that not questioning her effort?

You obviously don't have a clue as to what my intent was. Again you read into what I said. I made the comparison to another player (I believe it was Flo) who stated in her senior speech that Coach F. said she couldn't jump over a phone book. At that senior speech she did just that as a joke. Right now Prins stands, not jumps. It is a direct observation by someone who obviously pays more attention to the women's play than you do. That part is definitely questioning her effort but not her work ethic. Critical? Absolutely. That again is much different from questioning her work ethic which you alluded to in your last "post."

You're blowing up the wrong tree here.

CyFaninPA

Oct 7, 2010
Tough loss against Kansas State. I think the players and coaches are all highly skilled (and, more importantly, are high quality people). I think on any given day they could beat most of the teams in the nation. My hope is that if this team goes to the NCAAs that the players and coaches all approach the tourney with a "fire in their belly." That they are confident and that they give every last bit of themselves on the court, playing with the absolute highest of energy. I remember reading something about how the players wanted Kelsey Bolte's last home game to be memorable for her and so I think they played with something a little extra. If invited to the NCAAs and if they bring that "extra" with them - they will go far.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
You obviously don't have a clue as to what my intent was. Again you read into what I said. I made the comparison to another player (I believe it was Flo) who stated in her senior speech that Coach F. said she couldn't jump over a phone book. At that senior speech she did just that as a joke. Right now Prins stands, not jumps. It is a direct observation by someone who obviously pays more attention to the women's play than you do. That part is definitely questioning her effort but not her work ethic. Critical? Absolutely. That again is much different from questioning her work ethic which you alluded to in your last "post."

You're blowing up the wrong tree here.

It was Amanda Nisleit who Bill made the comment about.

Have you ever watched Anna when she jumps, 9 times out of 10 she gets called for an over the back call. Listen to Kim Mulkey talk about Griner and why she typically doesn't put her on the FT line when other players are shooting, it's because she was getting called for fouls for what the officials thought was over the back, when in reality it was the fact she could just plain out reach them without jumping, and when she jumped it made it look like a foul. I sat courtside at the Paradise Jam and watched the officials make calls on Anna they didn't on any other post player who was doing the exact same thing because of her size. She would reach up standing straight up and get a rebound while the girl was backing into her and they would call over the back. Anna had 4 fouls each game at the Paradise Jam. Anna is not nearly as aggressive as Pop, yet they only have an eight foul difference for the year.

To rip on her effort is pathetic. She is a nightmare matchup for every team in the B12. There is no other player like her that has her size, and can shoot the three. Does she need to work on her touch yes, but to question her effort is just plain sad.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
It was Amanda Nisleit who Bill made the comment about.

Have you ever watched Anna when she jumps, 9 times out of 10 she gets called for an over the back call. Listen to Kim Mulkey talk about Griner and why she typically doesn't put her on the FT line when other players are shooting, it's because she was getting called for fouls for what the officials thought was over the back, when in reality it was the fact she could just plain out reach them without jumping, and when she jumped it made it look like a foul. I sat courtside at the Paradise Jam and watched the officials make calls on Anna they didn't on any other post player who was doing the exact same thing because of her size. She would reach up standing straight up and get a rebound while the girl was backing into her and they would call over the back. Anna had 4 fouls each game at the Paradise Jam. Anna is not nearly as aggressive as Pop, yet they only have an eight foul difference for the year.

To rip on her effort is pathetic. She is a nightmare matchup for every team in the B12. There is no other player like her that has her size, and can shoot the three. Does she need to work on her touch yes, but to question her effort is just plain sad.

What she gets called for has nothing to do with effort. Her height has nothing to do with effort. If you remember we had a post players with range like Wieben and Wilkins. They jumped and hustled after rebounds. They didn't stand waiting for the ball to come to them. That is effort.

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
Christofferson was a highly-recruited player, not just some bumpkin from the farm. Lots of midwestern programs, like Iowa, offered her.
My concern is that we're not convincing enough talented in-state players (like Hallie) to wear the cardinal and gold, such as Greenfield, Kionna Kellogg, Markisha Wright...

Yep, we only had as many as three starters and five of ten roster players from Iowa this year.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
The thing that I've seen, not only yesterday but in other games, is her ability to (a) miss layups, (b) have the ball taken away from her, and (c) not jumping to maximize her height. Much of this is probably due to being the "big girl on the block" in high school where she didn't have to do these things. At this level she needs to have the strength to finish, use the same strength to grab rebounds with authority, and to jump rather than standing and waiting for balls to come to her. Can't remember which former player said it, but Prins is an example of someone that won't jump over a phone book right now.

We don't know (this year) how much the bug bit her. I too would love to see her healthy.

All in all it is a TEAM issue with players who won't shoot, don't jump for rebounds, aren't moving, etc., etc.

Excellent, spot-on analysis!

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX

I don't think anybody here is ripping on her effort. The only thing I've seen in this thread is honest discussion about some aspects of Anna's game that need some work, and a bunch of over-reaction to those comments. Anna is not yet a nightmare matchup for every team in the Big 12, but she she could very well be if she can improve on some of the issues that acoustimac has discussed.

I understand your point about taller players getting cheap fouls when they jump...on defense. But that point is really a non-issue on offense when it comes to strong post play, keeping shorter players from stripping the ball, and finishing shots close to the hoop.

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
And we need her to start playing big. With Griner around, everyone seems to be adding someone 6'5' or taller. OU's 6'6" Griffin is a freshman who if she can build up a little could actually challenge Griner in the future.