Twister Sister Summary - Ladies Torch OU

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Prior to this game I told my buddies this game for the sisters would come down to (a) defense (b) limiting turnovers and (c) staying out of foul trouble. Fortunately the sisters didn’t disappoint.

The first half started with the s scoring first and OU answering with five straight. It was 5-4 OU when things started to happen. The defensive pressure by the sisters was as good as I expected seen it all season. We rarely left any of the OU shooters open for easy shots. What we saw over the next few minutes was a one and done offense for OU as shots were contested and the ladies were rebounding like their life depended on it. On the other end we saw what makes our offense tick - ball movement - start to take off. It resulted in baskets by Crooks on the inside and when OU collapsed in her she fed the ball back outside and our shooters were on. By the end of the first quarter the sisters had slowly built a nice lead 18-11. It was clear that OU was struggling.

The second quarter saw things really start to get physical. ISU continued to pressure OU while converting on the other end. Early on OU would make a little push and pull within three at 21-18. But at that point the sisters stepped back up the defensive pressure and started to reassert on the offensive end. The lead would slowly expand as the ladies worked inside and out. What was particularly impressive was watching Natabou come in to spell Crooks who picked up her second foul. This was, in my opinion, the best game of her ISU career. Her touch on offense softened so the ball was going in the hoop and her length clearly bothered OU inside. Both teams were freely substituting as this was also a very physical game as the officials were letting lots of things go. But like the first quarter OU stalled out on offense and the sisters slowly established a bigger lead using the same inside/outside formula. By end of the half, the ladies had built a surprising 38-24 lead. No one in Cyclone land could have seen this coming.

During the third I expected OU to make a push, but it just didn’t really happen. The physicality of the game kept intensifying and Crooks was clearly getting “more determined.” She was called for a few travels throughout the game, but in some cases they were helped by a shove in the back. After one such call she answered with a very determined response on the next possession. I’m sure by the end of the game the OU post was pretty sore. We continued to see exceptional ball movement throughout and that often resulted in scores. I kept expecting an OU push and it just never came. The sister’s defensive intensity kept the pressure on OU throughout. One thing VERY different than the first time we played OU was the nearly complete absence of fast breaks for easy buckets by OU. Through hard work and determination the sisters actually expanded their lead in the third to 62-43. At this point we were figuring a comeback was looking highly unlikely.

The fourth saw our sisters just continue to cook in offense. It seemed every player stepped up to the plate to sink a three, hit a short jumper or feed the beast (Crooks) inside. OU would make a little push but it came after our sisters had already established a 29 point lead. #12 for OU would hit three straight beautiful threes that briefly ignited the Sooner energy level. But, ISU would answer back deflating their bubble. OU even tried to employ a full court press that was strengthened by their ability to legally mug our girls. More often than not Ryan would navigate the pressure flawlessly. We had a few turnovers but in many cases OU couldn’t capitalize. With about 6 minutes left in the game the sisters had established such a dominate lead that each possession was of the “chew up clock” variety. Even more frustrating for the Sooners was how the sisters would convert the possession for a score as the clock ran out. Our last possession was a shot clock violation as there was nothing more the Sooners could do. Our ladies in red win in dominating fashion 85-68.

Observations

This was the best game start to finish that I’ve observed in many years. We were facing a team that dominated us at home. We were facing the conference champions. Yet, when a superlative performance was needed the ladies delivered. We commented at the send off that they already had their game faces on. The focus was clear and the effort exuded was amazing. A team that plays like this against a quality team is incredibly hard to beat.

POG - This was a hard selection. Easy to give it to Crooks, but I feel the difference maker today was Emily. Twelve points, six boards and ten assists. Yes, there were six turnovers, but her defense and floor generalship were huge. In addition, her management of the OU pressure was big.

Crooks. She needs to go to the hotel, take an ice bath and go to bed. She couldn’t have been beat on more if OU carried sticks. Still she was her usual unstoppable self scoring 25 points, grabbing nine boards, dishing three assists, and getting two steals. She was a workhorse today.

Brown - exceptional day for Addy. Sixteen points, six boards and seven assists. It’s almost like having multiple point guards on the floor when she, Ryan and AJ are out there. This is the type of game we need out of her on a daily basis and usually get.

Natabou - when needed to spell Crooks due to foul trouble she really stepped up. Nice soft shots. Used her length on defense. She had a nose for the ball. Six points in the first half and two blocks.

AJ - you know it’s a big complement when our Texas friend Geewago says how impressed he s with her play. She’s as gritty as they come and was quite the scraper in there today. Four points, five boards and three assists. Those number don’t even describe her diving and fighting for balls today.

Belanger - was pretty quiet today, but showed up in the second half when she was needed scoring 8 points.

Diew - played some sub minutes, but clearly her minutes are being reduced as her impact lessens. Two points and a board, but the break she offered other players was huge.

Bristow - not one of her best outings. Didn’t get into the flow as she normally does. Only four points and two turnovers.

Joens - Miss Energy was out there flying around and hit a couple of big threes collecting 8 points and 3 boards. Her defense was stellar.

Key stat - scoring his has become the hallmark of this team’s growth this season - assists. Today there were 24 on 33 made baskets. When the sisters share the ball like this they win.

Rebounds - this team is know for outrebounding nearly everyone this season. They accomplished it again today winning the battle 38-34.

Free throws - when the refs would actually blow the whistle the ladies would go to the bank. It just didn’t happen often which was mind boggling. Seven of 12 today.

Strange stat - second game in a row with the sisters accumulating over 20. This is a weird aberration as that’s not a good thing.

The sisters are playing as good in the tournament as they have all season. The four game winning streak was just the beginnings of the ship getting righted. It’s going to be a huge game tomorrow night as they get the opportunity to take one back from Texas or get a three peat against KSU. If their defensive intensity can keep going and the unselfish ball play on offense carries over it’s bound to be an exciting matchup. I’ll be here with the pops!

geewago

Jan 1, 2013
Waco,tx
Just for everyone's information, I thought I would chime in here and let everyone know that this Twister Sister Summary was written from the stands on a smart phone. Acoustimac has been extremely dedicated in providing this information all these years. He was so intent on getting this done that he virtually missed the whole first half of the Texas - KSU game. Of course he could hear what was going on and occasionally he would look up to keep posted. His buddy Mike sitting on his left was continually giving him verbal upgrades of the game but he just kept on typing. Personally I chose to stay quite while he was at work and I treated him like a pitcher who had a no hitter going. I just left him alone till he finished his masterpiece. There was plenty of time to talk afterwards. In fact we are just now getting to bed at 12:40. Hopefully we will get to see the Horns sawed off in a few hours.

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
I was at the Baylor game on Saturday. What a likeable team we have. I was a little surprised by how vulnerable we looked when Baylor pressed. Was also surprised we didn’t go to a smaller or nimble lineup when they pressed. Would also be surprised if other teams don’t press us.

Reactions: riceville98

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
This team has so much talent and they are starting to understand that.

CloneSt8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 1, 2011
One observation: Coach was worried about the runs that OU can go on. Well they did go on some 3 point sprees toward the end of the third and fourth quarters but we matched them almost point for point! That was huge!

NebrClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Prior to this game I told my buddies this game for the sisters would come down to (a) defense (b) limiting turnovers and (c) staying out of foul trouble. Fortunately the sisters didn’t disappoint.

The first half started with the s scoring first and OU answering with five straight. It was 5-4 OU when things started to happen. The defensive pressure by the sisters was as good as I expected seen it all season. We rarely left any of the OU shooters open for easy shots. What we saw over the next few minutes was a one and done offense for OU as shots were contested and the ladies were rebounding like their life depended on it. On the other end we saw what makes our offense tick - ball movement - start to take off. It resulted in baskets by Crooks on the inside and when OU collapsed in her she fed the ball back outside and our shooters were on. By the end of the first quarter the sisters had slowly built a nice lead 18-11. It was clear that OU was struggling.

The second quarter saw things really start to get physical. ISU continued to pressure OU while converting on the other end. Early on OU would make a little push and pull within three at 21-18. But at that point the sisters stepped back up the defensive pressure and started to reassert on the offensive end. The lead would slowly expand as the ladies worked inside and out. What was particularly impressive was watching Natabou come in to spell Crooks who picked up her second foul. This was, in my opinion, the best game of her ISU career. Her touch on offense softened so the ball was going in the hoop and her length clearly bothered OU inside. Both teams were freely substituting as this was also a very physical game as the officials were letting lots of things go. But like the first quarter OU stalled out on offense and the sisters slowly established a bigger lead using the same inside/outside formula. By end of the half, the ladies had built a surprising 38-24 lead. No one in Cyclone land could have seen this coming.

During the third I expected OU to make a push, but it just didn’t really happen. The physicality of the game kept intensifying and Crooks was clearly getting “more determined.” She was called for a few travels throughout the game, but in some cases they were helped by a shove in the back. After one such call she answered with a very determined response on the next possession. I’m sure by the end of the game the OU post was pretty sore. We continued to see exceptional ball movement throughout and that often resulted in scores. I kept expecting an OU push and it just never came. The sister’s defensive intensity kept the pressure on OU throughout. One thing VERY different than the first time we played OU was the nearly complete absence of fast breaks for easy buckets by OU. Through hard work and determination the sisters actually expanded their lead in the third to 62-43. At this point we were figuring a comeback was looking highly unlikely.

The fourth saw our sisters just continue to cook in offense. It seemed every player stepped up to the plate to sink a three, hit a short jumper or feed the beast (Crooks) inside. OU would make a little push but it came after our sisters had already established a 29 point lead. #12 for OU would hit three straight beautiful threes that briefly ignited the Sooner energy level. But, ISU would answer back deflating their bubble. OU even tried to employ a full court press that was strengthened by their ability to legally mug our girls. More often than not Ryan would navigate the pressure flawlessly. We had a few turnovers but in many cases OU couldn’t capitalize. With about 6 minutes left in the game the sisters had established such a dominate lead that each possession was of the “chew up clock” variety. Even more frustrating for the Sooners was how the sisters would convert the possession for a score as the clock ran out. Our last possession was a shot clock violation as there was nothing more the Sooners could do. Our ladies in red win in dominating fashion 85-68.

Observations

This was the best game start to finish that I’ve observed in many years. We were facing a team that dominated us at home. We were facing the conference champions. Yet, when a superlative performance was needed the ladies delivered. We commented at the send off that they already had their game faces on. The focus was clear and the effort exuded was amazing. A team that plays like this against a quality team is incredibly hard to beat.

POG - This was a hard selection. Easy to give it to Crooks, but I feel the difference maker today was Emily. Twelve points, six boards and ten assists. Yes, there were six turnovers, but her defense and floor generalship were huge. In addition, her management of the OU pressure was big.

Crooks. She needs to go to the hotel, take an ice bath and go to bed. She couldn’t have been beat on more if OU carried sticks. Still she was her usual unstoppable self scoring 25 points, grabbing nine boards, dishing three assists, and getting two steals. She was a workhorse today.

Brown - exceptional day for Addy. Sixteen points, six boards and seven assists. It’s almost like having multiple point guards on the floor when she, Ryan and AJ are out there. This is the type of game we need out of her on a daily basis and usually get.

Natabou - when needed to spell Crooks due to foul trouble she really stepped up. Nice soft shots. Used her length on defense. She had a nose for the ball. Six points in the first half and two blocks.

AJ - you know it’s a big complement when our Texas friend Geewago says how impressed he s with her play. She’s as gritty as they come and was quite the scraper in there today. Four points, five boards and three assists. Those number don’t even describe her diving and fighting for balls today.

Belanger - was pretty quiet today, but showed up in the second half when she was needed scoring 8 points.

Diew - played some sub minutes, but clearly her minutes are being reduced as her impact lessens. Two points and a board, but the break she offered other players was huge.

Bristow - not one of her best outings. Didn’t get into the flow as she normally does. Only four points and two turnovers.

Joens - Miss Energy was out there flying around and hit a couple of big threes collecting 8 points and 3 boards. Her defense was stellar.

Key stat - scoring his has become the hallmark of this team’s growth this season - assists. Today there were 24 on 33 made baskets. When the sisters share the ball like this they win.

Rebounds - this team is know for outrebounding nearly everyone this season. They accomplished it again today winning the battle 38-34.

Free throws - when the refs would actually blow the whistle the ladies would go to the bank. It just didn’t happen often which was mind boggling. Seven of 12 today.

Strange stat - second game in a row with the sisters accumulating over 20. This is a weird aberration as that’s not a good thing.

The sisters are playing as good in the tournament as they have all season. The four game winning streak was just the beginnings of the ship getting righted. It’s going to be a huge game tomorrow night as they get the opportunity to take one back from Texas or get a three peat against KSU. If their defensive intensity can keep going and the unselfish ball play on offense carries over it’s bound to be an exciting matchup. I’ll be here with the pops!
Nellie has really improved this year on both ends of the floor.

Reactions: acoustimac

Fishhead

Oct 6, 2010
I was kind of watching during my late lunch workout at the gym. Didn’t it seem like mid to late third quarter and the fourth that Oklahoma was shooting so many wide open 3’s without a defender within 10 feet?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron