Twister Sister Summary - Looking Ahead (Part 2)

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
We are currently return 20 pts and 12 rbs a game between the three gals returning that actually played any meaningful minutes this year.

Going to need transfers in for sure. Not sure the selling point, maybe playing time. Not like we can say "You're the missing piece of our Big 12 title run." when you look at the roster right now.

Not like when we brought in the heralded 2020 class. They were added to Kristen Scott, Ashley Joens, Rae Johnson and Maddy Wise.

jspeels

May 14, 2022
I think as adults and fans looking back at actions and circumstances, we see things in such a different light. Recall, if you can, what was most import to you when you were 19-21 in college. Would you have been “strong” enough to leave a place where you thought you belonged for years? Not me.
It’s hard to say. I was an athlete at Iowa St, I didn’t get to compete often but I loved where I was and the family I was a part of, leaving didn’t enter my mind even though I felt I deserved a shot over some others. Where I was and the teammate I was made me who I am today. Can’t to speak to their situations..they actually got to play…a lot!!

Jkclone15

Nov 19, 2017
The only question I really have is if things were so bad, why didn’t they leave last year??? Joens comes back and they are all in. Steph gets hurt, Joens is done, and now they go?? I get MEM and Kane, they are seniors, Vick didn’t play..but Lex and Denae make no sense. Maybe Lex a new start…Denae was finding her game after injury. I’ve gained a ton of respect for Emily. Hope her leadership is what helps the new teammates the most! Go State!
It does feel like the team chemistry was worse this year than last year, especially after Steph got injured. I'm not sure if that played a role or not. I'm just as surprised as you are.

CourtCyd

Mar 24, 2023
Returning 20 points and 12 rebounds? Why so low? Izzy is no Morgan? Based on what. Morgan rode the pine until Lristin Scott graduated and was pine bound until Soares got hurt.

Hardly missed a home game since 2007 directly across from the bench. Been watching a ton of WBB since Dawn Staley was running point for Virginia with the 6'7" Burge twins but couldn't get past Summitt's Vols and VanDerveers Cardinals.

My point(s)? Bill has mellowed but is still old school. Starters start and play a lot. Short bench. Quick hook. Hasn't changed much since 2007. Talks early every season about getting starters rest. Never happens. Same offense, one or two go to scorers. Everyone else is a role player: defend, rebound, run. Starters wear by year end. The bench is underdeveloped. We lose a few games we shouldn't due to fatigue or foul trouble and the undeveloped players aren't game ready. No host site, lower seeding, early exit, NIT, etc......

Example: We beat Michigan State by 31. Emily plays 36 minutes. Why?

Stat time: Big 12 minutes leaders? ISU had 4 players in the top 20, all over 31 minutes a game. Other Big 12 NCAA Tourney teams with that stat
(Texas, Baylor, Oklahoma, WVU, Oklahoma State)? None. Best teams: Baylor had 3, Texas 2, Oklahoma 0.

Ash, Em and Lex all averaged more minutes per game than Caitlin Clark. Denae averaged more per game than every Iowa player EXCEPT Clark. This is old school, dated roster management with predictable/consistent results.

I like Bill. I like his lessons that players can take from games and use for a lifetime. I have several written down I use myself.

But I don't play for Bill. I never did. With the portal some talented, liked, gritty, valued players won't next year. Maybe he doesn't care, or maybe he doesn't care enough to change. Maybe he can't change. I would like to see the results if he did. The best of Bill with some needed tweaks, Hilton Magic, our fans and attendance advantage during games and helping recruiting as WBB grows in popularity could be even more special.

I wish I could share this with Bill personally over a Mountain Dew. He and his family have given a lot to ISU. I'd like to give him more back than a butt in a seat and unquestioned loyalty. Some players appear to feel likewise.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Returning 20 points and 12 rebounds? Why so low? Izzy is no Morgan? Based on what. Morgan rode the pine until Lristin Scott graduated and was pine bound until Soares got hurt.

Hardly missed a home game since 2007 directly across from the bench. Been watching a ton of WBB since Dawn Staley was running point for Virginia with the 6'7" Burge twins but couldn't get past Summitt's Vols and VanDerveers Cardinals.

My point(s)? Bill has mellowed but is still old school. Starters start and play a lot. Short bench. Quick hook. Hasn't changed much since 2007. Talks early every season about getting starters rest. Never happens. Same offense, one or two go to scorers. Everyone else is a role player: defend, rebound, run. Starters wear by year end. The bench is underdeveloped. We lose a few games we shouldn't due to fatigue or foul trouble and the undeveloped players aren't game ready. No host site, lower seeding, early exit, NIT, etc......

Stat time: Big 12 minutes leaders? ISU had 4 players in the top 20, all over 31 minutes a game. Other Big 12 NCAA Tourney teams with that stat
(Texas, Baylor, Oklahoma, WVU, Oklahoma State)? None. Best teams: Baylor had 3, Texas 2, Oklahoma 0.

Ash, Em and Lex all averaged more minutes per game than Caitlin Clark. Denae averaged more per game than every Iowa player EXCEPT Clark. This is old school, dated roster management with predictable/consistent results.

I like Bill. I like his lessons that players can take from games and use for a lifetime. I have several written down I use myself.

But I don't play for Bill. I never did. With the portal some talented, liked, gritty, valued players won't next year. Maybe he doesn't care, or maybe he doesn't care enough to change. Maybe he can't change. I would like to see the results if he did. The best of Bill with some needed tweaks, Hilton Magic, our fans and attendance advantage during games and helping recruiting as WBB grows in popularity could be even more special.

I wish I could share this with Bill personally over a Mountain Dew. He and his family have given a lot to ISU. I'd like to give him more back than a butt in a seat and unquestioned loyalty. Some players appear to feel likewise.
Would def make for an interesting convo with any of the coaches. the most “I want to know” question would be bench development in my mind.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Glad we have only 1 more year of Texas. Looked up who they signed for next year and they got a 6'9 center coming in.
When you have Texas Money you can buy almost any player in the country!
With NIL the teams with the most money will eventually ruin the competitive balance in college sports!!
BIG MONEY CORRUPTS BIGLY!

• Agree
Reactions: StClone

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Great post.

The aversion to bench usage and the lack of motion offense have both manifested in NCAA tourney losses to lower seeded teams 3 out of the past 5 years (no tourney games in 2020).

2019 vs Missouri St: 9 Mizzou ST players with double digit minutes. ISU has 6.
2022 vs Creighton: 8 Creighton players with double digit minutes. ISU has 6.
2023 vs Toledo: 7 Toledo players with double digit minutes. ISU has 6.

Bill's lack of motion resulted in abnormally high and at key times, inefficient, usage rates for Ryan and Ashley J and I am confident is one of the primary reasons why Fritz and Donarski both left.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin

Thanks! Great read.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Is there anyone on this year's roster other than the three that played that will likely be in the rotation or were they recruited over by the incoming class?

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Is there anyone on this year's roster other than the three that played that will likely be in the rotation or were they recruited over by the incoming class?

IMO no. King was a walk on who was put on scholarship, and Dawkins I'm not sure is a power 5 player and would be better at a mid major.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
IMO no. King was a walk on who was put on scholarship, and Dawkins I'm not sure is a power 5 player and would be better at a mid major.
That's what I thought, but wanted to hear from those more tuned in.

I posted before they may add a post that can get up the floor a little quicker then current options but the more I think about it Diew or Bristow could handle that job on a limited basis. I expect to see a veteran guard added though. Also could use another forward. Diew, Bristow and Brown can fill the 3/4 minutes but one injury and your in trouble. Joens and Jackson seem to be sufficient depth in the backcourt if we add a vet.

Last edited:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Portal will have to make the difference now. We have five open slots and three returning "players" and five freshman. A couple of players from the portal might keep 2023-24 from being a big rebuild and fall back year. A few weeks ago I was thinking we'd still be in the top half of the league because, other than Texas and maybe KSU and Kansas, I don't see the league as anything but down and weaker than we have been used to seeing. As it stands right now, with this roster, we are maybe middle of the pack but something more will have to be added to not be lower half.

Our best portal hits have been Soares, who had an ideal situation to just plug into, and Alexa Middleton. Throw in Ines Nezerwa to. All of them were coming into situations that would be great for them, a need on an experienced team. We have need now and not much experience, going to be a harder sell other than just "playing time in a P5". There's "no slot into the paint next to Joens/Carleton" or "come play PG for us" this time.

Reactions: ICCYFAN

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Portal will have to make the difference now. We have five open slots and three returning "players" and five freshman. A couple of players from the portal might keep 2023-24 from being a big rebuild and fall back year. A few weeks ago I was thinking we'd still be in the top half of the league because, other than Texas and maybe KSU and Kansas, I don't see the league as anything but down and weaker than we have been used to seeing. As it stands right now, with this roster, we are maybe middle of the pack but something more will have to be added to not be lower half.

Our best portal hits have been Soares, who had an ideal situation to just plug into, and Alexa Middleton. Throw in Ines Nezerwa to. All of them were coming into situations that would be great for them, a need on an experienced team. We have need now and not much experience, going to be a harder sell other than just "playing time in a P5". There's "no slot into the paint next to Joens/Carleton" or "come play PG for us" this time.
Yeah, with high quality starters like Donarski and Fritz departing and the publicity surrounding their transfers, it likely will be more challenging this spring to recruit immediate impact transfers to backfill them as they conduct their due diligence on the program.

• Winner
Reactions: ICCYFAN

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
Yeah, with high quality starters like Donarski and Fritz departing and the publicity surrounding their transfers, it likely will be more challenging this spring to recruit immediate impact transfers to backfill them as they conduct their due diligence on the program.
Fritz says they are leaving because we don't play an up-tempo offense. We were 28th in tempo this year out of 350 teams. We averaged 75 points per game.

Fritz said she decided she needed to "find a better fit offensively for my game to take it to the next level."

"A faster-paced offense," she said.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Fritz says they are leaving because we don't play an up-tempo offense. We were 28th in tempo this year out of 350 teams. We averaged 75 points per game.

Fritz said she decided she needed to "find a better fit offensively for my game to take it to the next level."

"A faster-paced offense," she said.
.....and a high quality transfer investigating ISU would likely (or should) conclude Fritz wasn't exactly telling the truth regarding the primary reason why she left.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
.....and a high quality transfer investigating ISU would likely (or should) conclude Fritz wasn't exactly telling the truth regarding the primary reason why she left.
And the next question is why did that high-quality transfer leave where they were?

People seem to think ISU is the only place where starters transfer out. Arizona, a couple of years removed from a national championship game, had three starters leave this year and six players in total go in the portal. Maryland lost five last year and has already lost two this year. LSU lost five last year and is in the Final Four this year.

Reactions: Marcelason78

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
Agreed - a top five finish in 23-24 will have to be considered a success story.

As it now stands, we can only hold an inter-squad scrimmage once the five freshman arrive. King, Dawkins, Ryan, Diew & Zingaro vs Jackson, Joens, Brown, Bristow & Crooks.

Given the turmoil, I don't see us able to attract high-level talent from the portal, and certainly not the equivalent of what's left us (Donarski & Fritz).

I am severely disappointed with what's happened and blame CBF because it went down on his watch, but que sera, sera...

I'll keep my ESPN+ subscription and place the schedule in my Outlook calendar so I don't miss a game next season.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
...Going to need transfers in for sure. Not sure the selling point, maybe playing time...
One selling point out there is the trip overseas and transfers should be qualified to go, correct?

However, they will need to act quickly to get things rolling especially if in need of a passport, vaccinations, or other exigencies.

Junejax

Mar 2, 2013
The portal game is so much different from even a couple years ago. I know ISU is not going to engage like LSU. But I hope we have a coaching staff energized for the work.

Here is a quote from Dawn Staley this week, as she was asked about rebuilding/reloading for next year:

“I think the transfer portal has allowed programs to grow instantly, especially if you have a coach that really has an understanding of how to move young people. You have to have a culture that allows some restrictions, so to speak, and then some freedom. And you have to balance that because you’re bringing in different pieces to your program that can make the huge jump.”

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
And the next question is why did that high-quality transfer leave where they were?

People seem to think ISU is the only place where starters transfer out. Arizona, a couple of years removed from a national championship game, had three starters leave this year and six players in total go in the portal. Maryland lost five last year and has already lost two this year. LSU lost five last year and is in the Final Four this year.
I don't think anyone has claimed ISU is the only place where starters transfer out but every situation is different whether it be a new HC (e.g. LSU), quality of starters leaving (ISU obviously losing two good ones), grad transfers, incoming recruits (not a factor with Donarski/Fritz), etc.

In the eyes of a potential transfer recruit looking at ISU this spring, the question is valid: "Why would two likely All-Conference players with projected bigger roles next season leave the program?". It may or may not impact their decision making process relative to ISU but the question is going to be raised.