Twister Sister Summary - When the going gets tough, we get tougher.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
She seems like a very matter-of-fact player. Doesn't do anything special for pre-game introductions like the other players. Also unlike the other players her free throw routine seems to be "throw it up as soon as you get it".
That's what a lot of good shooters do. It's the clowns who can't shoot that need all the theatrics.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
She also took over the 3rd quarter and kept us in the game. We flat out lose that game without her.
We lose a few games without her. Our ball handling is extremely suspect without her. She gets into the lane, finds shooters, and scores. She made some big mistakes late, but we are a much better team with her on the court.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I admit that I had underestimated Hannah. She is a cold-blooded assassin. Big 3's. Clutch free throws. Even drives to the hoop and makes a push off on a limping defender. She is so much more than a 3-point shooting ace.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
We lose a few games without her. Our ball handling is extremely suspect without her. She gets into the lane, finds shooters, and scores. She made some big mistakes late, but we are a much better team with her on the court.
Earlier in the season I would have agreed with this. Now...AJ has developed into a solid ball handler. Backs down to no one. Belanger has also shown she can handle things relatively well. And then there is AB. Wowza. She makes mistakes sometimes, but more than makes up for them.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Earlier in the season I would have agreed with this. Now...AJ has developed into a solid ball handler. Backs down to no one. Belanger has also shown she can handle things relatively well. And then there is AB. Wowza. She makes mistakes sometimes, but more than makes up for them.

Fans may need to adjust some to Brown. She a unique player and not in our usual zero risk mode. I do expect her turnovers to decrease. A lot of those seem more like lapses that attempted bad passes or the like. She's still going to take more passing risks so we might need to table the fan obsession with assist to TO ratios. Most forwards are going to have 1 assist, not five or six.

Reactions: acoustimac

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Fans may need to adjust some to Brown. She a unique player and not in our usual zero risk mode. I do expect her turnovers to decrease. A lot of those seem more like lapses that attempted bad passes or the like. She's still going to take more passing risks so we might need to table the fan obsession with assist to TO ratios. Most forwards are going to have 1 assist, not five or six.
She is definitely unique and special. I've heard several say that an early prognosis indicates she could be one of our all time greats. I would not disagree.

Reactions: wbbnut and StClone

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
AJ has struggled to run the offense and handle full court pressure. She's been much better shooting the ball. Belanger is adequate but also struggles with ball pressure.

Ryan is a clear upgrade at PG when she's in the game.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
AJ has struggled to run the offense and handle full court pressure. She's been much better shooting the ball. Belanger is adequate but also struggles with ball pressure.

Ryan is a clear upgrade at PG when she's in the game.
I agree about Ryan, but AJ wouldn't have the outstanding assist numbers if she couldn't run the offense. Belanger has improved tremendously over the past few games. 1 turnover against Baylor (Ryan had 5). 2 against WVU (Ryan had 3). 1 turnover against BYU (Ryan had 3). It goes on. Belanger has been more than adequate helping to bring the ball up. Against pressure it's not a one on one situation usually. It's running a scheme effectively.

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
I would strongly disagree with the post stating Ryan has been at a deficit since her return. This is, IMO, the first game where she committed as many errors as she did. The other games I felt she played well. This particular game saw her just "off" on some plays that have worked in previous games. For example, when she drives to the hoop she has normally had two options...score or dish. This time there were some instances where she drove and there wasn't the dish option. But, as BoxterCy said, without her we don't win. As several of us have pointed out repeatedly...this was another TEAM win. This team is deep and is becoming a "pick your poison" type of team.
How do you explain her free throw shooting then? Or her lack of assists, or her numerous TOs. Here are the facts; She has nearly as many TOs as assists this year, 26-21. That's for someone who normally has twice as many assists as TOs. She's only averaging 3.7 assists per game. I realize that's on reduced minutes per game, but there's still that 26-21 assist to TO ratio to consider. Her 3-point percentage is also way down to 14 percent.

WBBfan15

Nov 21, 2018
Wasn't sure where to put this, but ESPN has named us team of the week.

Team of the week: Iowa State

The Cyclones lost three starters from last season's team that won the Big 12 tournament title, including Ashley Joens, the program's all-time scoring and rebounding leader. But led by the freshman duo of Audi Crooks and Addy Brown, plus the return from early-season injury of point guard Emily Ryan, Iowa State is tied for first in the conference.

This past week, the Cyclones trailed ranked teams West Virginia and Baylor at halftime but rallied to win both games. Crooks had a combined 45 points and 17 rebounds; Brown 21 points, 19 rebounds and 13 assists.

ESPN Power Rankings

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
How do you explain her free throw shooting then? Or her lack of assists, or her numerous TOs. Here are the facts; She has nearly as many TOs as assists this year, 26-21. That's for someone who normally has twice as many assists as TOs. She's only averaging 3.7 assists per game. I realize that's on reduced minutes per game, but there's still that 26-21 assist to TO ratio to consider. Her 3-point percentage is also way down to 14 percent.

I'm still sticking with the theory we are a better team with Em than without, she brings a calming influence and gets buckets when they count. She still recovering from the injury. But every team needs a whipping boy/girl.

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
I'm still sticking with the theory we are a better team with Em than without, she brings a calming influence and gets buckets when they count. She still recovering from the injury. But every team needs a whipping boy/girl.
I'm not criticizing her. She's one of the all-time great Cyclones. I would be stupid to criticize her. All I was asking is if it seems to anyone else as it seems to me, that she is in a weakened state because she even looks more frail, to me, than she did before the injury.

• Friendly
Reactions: NWICY

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
I agree about Ryan, but AJ wouldn't have the outstanding assist numbers if she couldn't run the offense. Belanger has improved tremendously over the past few games. 1 turnover against Baylor (Ryan had 5). 2 against WVU (Ryan had 3). 1 turnover against BYU (Ryan had 3). It goes on. Belanger has been more than adequate helping to bring the ball up. Against pressure it's not a one on one situation usually. It's running a scheme effectively.
You really don't know what you're watching. AJ's 8 assists in 5 conference games? Those outstanding assists numbers? I like AJ, but we've struggled to get into the offense with her at PG. Belanger is not handling the ball near as much as Ryan or in high-stress areas of the court. Have you watched our press break? It's give it to Emily, and get out of the way. Belanger will support if needed.

• Agree
Reactions: casey1973

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Wow. She's playing a different role on a much different team. How can anyone watch this team the last two weeks and not see that Ryan is one of the main reasons we've turned it around?

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
Wow. She's playing a different role on a much different team. How can anyone watch this team the last two weeks and not see that Ryan is one of the main reasons we've turned it around?
I didn't say she wasn't contributing. I said she wasn't contributing at the Emily Ryan level we've been used to. Try putting words in someone else's mouth.