Twister Sister Summary - Who is Marist?

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
30-2. That by itself should get you respect. They lost their first game to St. John's who will be playing TTech in the tourney. They lost to St. Bonney a couple of weeks later. Nothing since. They beat Nebraska 65-60. Nothing too impressive there, but a good win.

They are like ISU in that they play solid defense holding teams to approximately 48 points per game. Outside of the NU game, they have no victories against anyone in the top 25. It should also be noted that they only had ONE remotely close game in their conference schedule...a two point win over Fairfield on the road. Most of their schedule would remind you of teams ISU normally schedules for home tournaments - teams that we usually handle easily. Using that comparison alone and that Marist dominated that competition, they should be pretty salty.

Their tallest player is a 6' 4" Aussie who passes the eye test. She is solidly built.Only averages 7 points and 4 boards per game as a sophomore. They are led by a 5' 8" point guard, Allenspach, who is averaging 14 per game. She is hitting 51 percent from the floor and 1/3 of those are 3 pointers (43%). She is followed by another 5' 8" guard, Yarde, with 11 points per outing. They are not a big 3 point shooting team outside of Allenspach based on the number of shots. They obviously have some players who can shoot it as several appear to have had the green light to put it up. Essentially, this team goes how Allenspach goes.

If I want to give our Twister Sisters an advantage it would be (don't choke on this) athleticism. I would hope that a Big 12 school would have access to better athletes. That is the only rationale for that comment. I think that Pop will be huge inside. The big question mark will be whether Prins shows up. She has a nice height advantage and will be playing against an equally young post. Can she make a shot or will she continue to shoot the way she did against KState? This could be critical. Can we free up Bolt? Will Bolt stand in the corner or get aggressive? Lots of questions.

We all probably believe (I do) that if the ISU team is firing on all cylinders they will handle Marist. If they struggle to score or are afraid to shoot then this could be a nail biter. With the additional rest and time to get ready I think ISU shows up strong.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Marist is a thorn in the side to whomever they play in the first round. They don't often win their first round game, but they are never an easy out. The clones are in for a fight on Saturday.

Nomar33

Mar 14, 2011
Yeah yeah yeah I'm a "troll" but I am looking forward to the game Saturday. I'll give you a few more tidbits about Marist - maybe you like them maybe you just want me to go away.

Marist - did beat Houston who was in top 25 until upset in ConfUSA tourney, also a good win against Louisville. Beat Nebraska and Villanova at their place - yeah not the greatest win but. Had Arizona St. on the schedule but got snowed out.

They have a very hard time scheduling teams from BCS conferences - we offered to goto ND and not expect a return trip and got a NO thanks.

After SweetSixteen run in 2007 - they followed it up with a 1st round win against DePaul in 2008. We also sweeped a tourney out west against Utah, Nebraska and Washington that year. YES that is the past - but we have been consistant the last 6 years. (now our Men's team sucks to high heaven)

So that being said our women's team is onlly game in town and we show up - 3000 strong. Small gym..yeah but as many recruits coming in say - I can play to a sold out crowed in a 3200 arena or goto larger beautiful arena and hear echo's. We will travel very well.

The offense does revolve around Allenspach who can pretty much do everything but stoping her isnt enough - cuz although the ppg averages might not be high everyone has the ability to score - Oliver has had 11 double digit games including a 19pter, Gang also has a couple of 19pt games, Laterza to has been in double digits a number of games. So our bigs are capable including freshman O'Conner.

Our defense and ball handling start with Caron (our best defender easy), followed by Yard and Best - some of the teams who have the "best" presses have failed to have success against us. Look at MidTennState's try - you just can't press too many good ball handlers.

Our depth is one of big strength's as everyone can play quality minutes. This should be a great game and what a great venue. Listening to your coach he sounds like a real class act.

Just and FYI from the useless facts department - when Whitney Williams left ISU - it was down to TCU and Marist as her next school - that would have made for a nice twist.

Good luck to you guys.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Yeah yeah yeah I'm a "troll" but I am looking forward to the game Saturday. I'll give you a few more tidbits about Marist - maybe you like them maybe you just want me to go away.

You're only a troll if you come here looking to stir up trouble, which you obviously aren't. Your info is much appreciated. Feel free to ask us anything you want about our program.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
This is a bad match up for us. What does Marist do well? Play defense and TO's. What do the gals do poorly? Play on the road, score points and TO's.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
A girl from my HS played at Marist. That was the first time I had ever heard of them.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
So that being said our women's team is onlly game in town and we show up - 3000 strong. Small gym..yeah but as many recruits coming in say - I can play to a sold out crowed in a 3200 arena or goto larger beautiful arena and hear echo's. We will travel very well.

We average around 10,000 in a 14,000 arena (actual average number of people is lower than that -- maybe 7500), and we also travel well. Durham's pretty far away, though.

Our defense and ball handling start with Caron (our best defender easy), followed by Yard and Best - some of the teams who have the "best" presses have failed to have success against us. Look at MidTennState's try - you just can't press too many good ball handlers.

In the past we've always had a bunch of good ball handlers as well. We'd often start two combo guards at the same time -- Medders and O'Neil, Lacey and Ezell. We don't have that kind of PG depth and ability this year, although Mansfield and Cole have both exceeded expectations.

Barring a situation where ISU needs to press in the last minute or two of the game, the chances you'll see any sort of press from ISU are barely north of 0%. ISU prefers a half-court defense (zone, man, or "junk") that lets up few transition baskets, layups, or other easy baskets. ISU (like Marist) holds teams to a very low PPG and FG%. Only two conference opponents scored more than 66 points vs ISU -- one in OT and the other was Baylor.

ISU is dead last in Division I in steals per game, and it isn't even close. #333 at 4.4 per game, and #332 is at 4.7. We do not play any sort of in-your-face defense for the most part.

Our depth is one of big strength's as everyone can play quality minutes.

We have average depth. We have four young post players (3 sophs and a fr), and three of them usually play significant minutes. Consistency is a big issue with them.

We've had trouble all year figuring out who should play the bulk of the SG minutes. Cole is the backup PG and a good defender, but she has limited offensive skill. Schroll is also a good defender but isn't really a ball handler or shooter, although she can get to the basket well.. Harris can be a great shooter but is prone to defensive lapses and has been inconsistent.

The other two rotation players are PG Lauren Mansfield and wing Kelsey Bolte. Mansfield is a juco PG that has been a pleasant surprise. She can be prone to turnovers and doesn't always find our open shooters, but she's decent at finding her own shot and is a good perimeter shooter.

Bolte is ISU's lone senior and a very good shooter. She has a quick release and will put up threes with very little opening. She's also a great mid-range stop-and-pop shooter. She's the clear star of the team, and ISU has struggled when she has struggled.

The only other player on the roster is a freshman former walk-on. It's not a deep roster, but the size of the rotation is reasonable and we can handle mild foul trouble. We do not foul a whole lot -- another thing Marist and ISU have in common.

Just and FYI from the useless facts department - when Whitney Williams left ISU - it was down to TCU and Marist as her next school - that would have made for a nice twist.

We actually played (and beat) TCU in a Thanksgiving tournament, but WW didn't travel with the team.

Last edited:

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Definitely not a troll. I appreciate seeing info like this. Nothing you said surprises me. Anyone who has 2 losses on the season has something going right. I would guess that Marist hasn't seen a defense like ours before either. This is what the women live and die on. Should be a fun game to watch.

Nomar33

Mar 14, 2011
It's funny one of my favorite college basketball memories came in a loss to NC State in the 2nd round of NIT because we got to play in Reynolds Collisium - which NC State had not played in since the 80's - was such a great atmosphere.

Cameron has been on my bucket list (even though I hate Duke) - so to see my team there is going to be very cool. Hopefully both set of girls have a great experience in an unique enviornment. We did play Duke there 5 years ago but this is different.

And 10K to womens game very nice - Marist is only school in country to sell out "Pack the House Night" every year it has been done.

Last edited:

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Duke beat us by 18 in Durham back in 2000. We actually made a second trip to the state a few weeks later and beat NC State. I don't think we've traveled to NC since then.

hawkeyeh8r

Jun 10, 2010
Ames
hopefully this game isnt like Green Bay last year in the tourney were they took it right down to the wire...we better win this one by at least 10 even though we will have a fight on our hands

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
hopefully this game isnt like Green Bay last year in the tourney were they took it right down to the wire...we better win this one by at least 10 even though we will have a fight on our hands

It's probably going to be exactly like Green Bay was last year - down to the wire.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron