Two issues I'd like movie goers to debate

Cyclonetrombone

Aug 25, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
1) Clapping after the movie...

This is dumb, I have noticed that it is mostly people above the age of 50 that do it but what are your thoughts on this practice. Have you ever been so engrossed in a movie that you were moved to clap?

2) People who come in 1 minute before the movie starts to a semi packed house and see decide their group of 9 needs to sit in your row and they ask you if you can "skooch down" from the seats that you showed up 20+ minutes before the movie to claim so their tardiness can be awarded. You showed up late, you don't get center eye level seats. There are three completely empty rows at the front of the theater that noone is in. That is where you belong.

This happened today but it actually gives me a lot of anxiety when I am at a popular movie. It gets to the point where I am watching for other couples coming in late and trying to flag them down and point out there are a couple seats next to me. It is not my fault humanity defaults to placing a seat or two between strangers so why should I be the one who has to move (because it really is just easier to not say no when asked) from my seats?

heyguy85

Nov 9, 2007
Iowa
1. I don't have feelings either way.
2. It's their fault. Stand your ground! They should get there sooner.

Me State

Oct 19, 2007
1) Clapping is stupid. The actors aren't there so who are you showing appreciation to?

2) If you come in late, you seat in whatever seats are open.

P.S. I go to maybe 1 movie a year at a theater. Some years I don't watch any.

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
1) Clapping is stupid. The actors aren't there so who are you showing appreciation to?

2) If you come in late, you seat in whatever seats are open.

P.S. I go to maybe 1 movie a year at a theater. Some years I don't watch any.

I like to let the camera man know when he did a great job.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I'm over 50 and I can't ever remember clapping at a movie. Maybe I will next time, especially if it is a real dud.

The people that drive me crazy are the ones that show up 15 minutes into the movie. With commercials and trailers the movie starts about 15 minutes after the advertised time so they are coming in 30 minutes after the advertised time.

TexasAlamo

Jan 14, 2014
1. It is a great thing and sign of respect.

2. All of the good movie theaters in Austin have fully reserved seating and zero anxiety about who sits where.

Cyclonetrombone

Aug 25, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
1. It is a great thing and sign of respect.

2. All of the good movie theaters in Austin have fully reserved seating and zero anxiety about who sits where.

Out here in San Angelo I hear "In Austin" so often I am dead to it, unfortunately our regional HQ and my boss are based out of Austin so I will never hear the end of it. However, San Angelo is an awful place to live. BOOORING

Feb 6, 2013
1. Depends... opening week of LOTR, for instance
2. I've never encountered this. Also, sitting next to a stranger (without a buffer) is completely normal in a packed house.

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
I taught my son tonight what a 1st world problem is......this is two of them. I jumped up and high-fived my juvenile buddies at Rocky 2 in 1978 or whenever.

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
1. If the movie deserves it. I slow clapped after Boogie Nights. Not my finest moment.

2. **** em. A group that big doesn't need to sit in one row. They'll get over it.

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
1) A lot of people clapped at the end of "Lincoln". It was the first and only time I had ever heard that.

2) Next time someone asks you to scoot down, just say "No, that's why I came early - to get this seat." Say it loudly. Maybe other people in the audience will applaud you. If I am there, I will.

3) The last movie I went to, a group of girls seated in front of me took their picture at the theater. The flash blinded me. I wish people had to check their cell phones at the door, as well as their bad manners.

4) The next time I see an infant at a movie theater, I am calling child services to denounce the parents for abuse. Babies do not belong at movies. Period.

5) End of tirade. Thank you for your attention.

6) Applause.

Cyclonesince78

Mar 8, 2012
I'm glad you guys are going to fully packed movies when they come out, so that I can wait 2 weeks and go to a half empty theater and enjoy a movie.

Sitting elbow to elbow with a stranger is a step up from being on an airplane. I'll pass.

Cyclonetrombone

Aug 25, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
My reference is more to do with semi packed movies... like 75% capacity. I'm usually an early bird movie goer just because it is so much cheaper and I don't end up spending money popcorn. (San Angelo is awful, only thing to do here is go to a movie. There was a line out of the theater when I got there tonight, ended up being for Ride Along... of all the new movies out the last two weeks that was on the bottom of the list.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
There was clapping after the last Hobbit here, I've never clapped but I can see people sharing a moment in time with each other. I just don't share that moment with them. :)

#2 has happened to me once, group of 5 larger toothless ladies.

moebar

Dec 10, 2009
There was clapping after the last Hobbit here, I've never clapped but I can see people sharing a moment in time with each other. I just don't share that moment with them. :)

#2 has happened to me once, group of 5 larger toothless ladies.

I always try to come in around 10 minutes late. I hate paying a lot of money to watch movie and watch 15 minutes of commercials.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
Pretty sure only little kids clap after movies, and i hate it! I ***** to my wife about it before any animated movie we go to, or especially some of the superhero movies lately.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
The first time I ever heard anyone clap after a movie was the the first LoTR, I just didn't get it. Our we clapping for the projectionist?The kid who swept up the floors? Or ourselves for being big kids and sitting through a 3 hour movie? Are we supposed to applaud songs on the radio? TV shows? When we are done reading a book?

M3MEPLEASE

Sep 4, 2009
Ah, love movie theater pet peeve threads, so many good ones to list

It had been awhile since people clapped after a movie that I've attended, but I saw Lone Survivor last Saturday and that received a pretty loud applause towards the end in a packed movie theater. I agree that clapping is silly, but I can at least somewhat understand it after a movie like Lone Survivor or other war movies based on true stories, people just showing appreciation for the sacrifices they made, also a good chance when the theater is packed that there are several former or even active duty guys in attendance at a movie like that.

Some of my pet peeves...some that have already been mentioned

People who breathe loudly, drives me nuts

People who come and sit right next to you when the theater isn't crowded or packed and plenty of seats are available, always incredibly awkward and I get up and move every time. I seem to have awful luck with this at Jordan Creek.

The person who laughs uncontrollably at every little thing

Popcorn munchers and continual candy wrapper noise maker

People who talk through the entire movie like their having a casual conversation and answer their cell phones during a movie

Seat kickers

And if you're sick with a bad cold, PLEASE DO NOT go to a movie, no one wants to hear you cough 100+ times and constantly clear your throat over the next two hours.

Yup, one of these years I'm going to get myself an awesome home theater system. Despite all that, part of me still enjoys going to the theaters. Seeing a great comedy in a packed theater can make the movie even more enjoyable.

Last edited: